TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 31, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 31, 2014 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Once Upon a Wish and now I understand even more what those Wishes can mean, and how special are the kids dealing with more than I think I could bear.

Finally will start Before I Go to Sleep before it moves so far back on my Carousel on the Fire that I don't notice it!!

Luvstarzz35

08-21-2008

Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 8:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Luvstarzz35 a private message Print Post    
Heckagirl631 hope you enjoy them! I was hooked =)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, May 19, 2014 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
After I finished the book about the NFL (itself quite disappointing since I already knew 95% of the stories - I don't know what possessed me to read it in the first place), I read Dave Barry's debut novel, Big Trouble, and was severely disappointed. One of the testimonials on the jacket was purportedly uttered by Stephen King ("I laughed so hard that I fell out of my chair"). Mr. King must have been high on crack when this allegedly happened. I laughed exactly one time. I hope Barry's later novels are funnier.

I'm now into Original Sin by P.D. James. So far, so good - her stuff is always good, just a little long sometimes.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, May 19, 2014 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I've not read his other novels, but I love Dave Berry and Ridley Pearson's Peter and the Starcatchers series. Of course, at least half of that has to do with the fact that Jim Dale narrates them - but the stories have a lot of wit and dovetail nicely with the Disney version of Peter Pan.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 19, 2014 - 6:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh I finished Before I Go to Sleep and it certainly kept me reading!

Now way into a book that is almost personal since I fillowed Zach Sobiech on Caringbridge.com and youtube and Soul Pancake on Youtube and this family is so articulate and it is so sad but so uplifting.. Actually there was a thread here someone started when there was an effort to get Zach's song, Clouds to get a million hits on youtube.. it has MANY more than that, now..

His mom, Laura Sobiech, wrote the book. Fly a Little Higher.

Lots of background about events I did know about. And they are raising funds for the childhood cancer osteosarcoma to have more research and to hopefully get less outdated treatment options.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Teach - I'll give Barry another try somewhere down the line. I did notice he'd written all those books with Pearson (so many!) - I think his debut novel suffered only because he was "new to the game" and was still in his learning phase.

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
finished Veronica Mars, The Thousand Dollar Tan Line

Reenie

06-24-2006

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Veronica Mars is a book? I had no idea. I watched a few episodes of the TV show and enjoyed them..

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 8:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
Veronica Mars book starts off where the movie ended. There will be more to follow.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, May 22, 2014 - 6:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Target's,The Secret History on sale in the Kind l e store, probably I. Other e stores.. I read reviews.. And heard many of the feeling s I had reading The Goldfinch. N o t interested in more of that.

I finished Fly a Little Higher.. very well done.

Now reading Good Prose by Tracy Kidder and a co author.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, May 24, 2014 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished Water for Elephants. It was really good.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished the 3rd Frankenstein book, "Dead and Alive" by Dean Koontz. Definitely needed to read them in order. On to the 4th one, "Lost Souls".

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Good Prose and will be starting a short book, That Day in September by Artie Van Why, a Kindle freebie.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 26, 2014 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the freebie and it was a first person about 9/11 and not wildly well written but well enough to give an up close feeling of what one person went through. This has been made into a show on stage a few years ago.

Next I read another short piece by Will Bevis, who IS an author, One Hour With a Homeless Man: Birmingham, Alabama which was interesting but strange.

Now starting Restless Souls: The Sharon Tate Family's Account of Stardom, the Manson Murders, and a Crusade for Justice by Alissa Statman with Brie Tate.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, May 26, 2014 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Two chapters into The Secret History, and I'm enjoying it. No more research papers to grade, so the only paperwork that will be competing for evening reading time are final exams and a Spanish test. YES!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I hope you enjoy the whole thing, Teach, and that you'll like it enough to also read The Little Friend which is also a winner.

I was browsing through Twitter today to see if Donna Tartt has an account set up (she does). She has 2,042 followers, but she is not following anyone herself AND she has not sent out a single tweet. I don't know much about Twitter, but that struck me as kind of funny. Will she or won't she ever send a tweet?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Uncle Ricky.. I'd wonder if that is really Donna's twitter. Lots of fakes out there.. but some people just don't get into tweeting, others do. Yoko Ono had been doing some retrospective stuff on anniversaries lately.. some great stuff with John back in the day and such.

I had to conclude that I didn't enjoy Tartt's subjects and characters all that much, even while appreciating things about her writing of course.

Her latest sounds more interesting but not at full price.. so I watch and wait and then decide. And of course I'm more of a non fiction reader, too.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the warning about fake accounts and for the tip about Yoko - I'll have to take a peek. And I totally understand about your reservations with Tartt - I'm sure you're far from being the only one! I'll be shocked, scandalized and appalled if I don't absolutely adore The Goldfinch.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I hope you do, after waiting for it.. should be a hefty book to hold, especially if it is hardback..

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
YAY!! Tonight I will finish the last of my seniors' exams, so I now have 2 glorious weeks with very few papers to grade. The Secret History will be read, savored, and hopefully finished by next Friday! I'd say by Monday, but with graduation Friday and TEN open houses this weekend, I'm pretty sure the only thing I'm going to get done is baking cookies for the parties! :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 4:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
After reading an excerpt of Rob Lowe's new book linked on Facebook and crying my eyes out over it (it was about his kid leaving for college) I decided to pick up both his books from the library. Now, I will say that I've never been a huge Rob Lowe fan, never watched West Wing or any of his more current shows. Always considered him to be nothing more than a pretty face. But wow, am I enjoying these books! The first one, "stories I only tell my friends" is a lot about his rise in Hollywood -- a lot of name dropping, but interesting to me as I was growing up at the same time. I like his writing style, very easy and yet poetic and beautiful at times.

I think his second book is even better. Love Life. I got it on CD and am listening to it in the car. I'm sure being an actor helps, but he reads it so beautifully I find myself laughing out loud and at times, weeping again. I honestly had no idea the man had a talent for storytelling or writing, but I'm a fan now.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I just finished reading The Fall Beneath Our Stars. What a strange book. I read it because my dyslexic daughter wanted to download it and was listening to it in the car on audio books and, of course, once I started listening then I had to go and read the book. She wanted to "read" it before it came out as a movie. I'm not sure I even want to see the darned movie.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
Anyone who likes the Game of Thrones series might be interested in "The Way of Kings" I just finished the first book(there are two for now).

Luvmom

10-17-2000

Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 7:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Luvmom a private message Print Post    
I'm reading The Hollows Series by Kim Harrison for the 3rd time through. She is an amazing writer. I'm waiting for the 12th and final one to come out after Labor Day. She just released the first 3 chapters and cover art for the final one. I'm so excited!