TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 14, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 14, 2014 users admin

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, May 02, 2014 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Reading the second book in the Dean Koontz series about Frankenstein. I read the first one a few years ago, and picked up book 2 and book 4 at the library bookstore. Should I try to find book 3 before I read book 4? Or would it not matter?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, May 02, 2014 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I finished listening to The Tortilla Curtain this morning. I very much enjoyed the book, but I HATED the ending!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 12:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished the Wallander book today (The Troubled Man)- it is the dead last book in the series (which I didn't know when I started), so it was a bittersweet ending.

Now I'm listening to Dana Stabenow's A Cold Day for Murder - set in Alaska where one of my students is doing a 2-year visiting doctor stint. Pretty cool to be hearing about places that he is posting pictures of!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That always adds so much, when you have some insight into a setting.. personal, or through someone's eyss like this!

The Gavin MacLeod memoir is interesting in learning about his life and people he met but OMG I think when I finish I will go back and tally up the number of times he mentions being bald and how many times he mentions his hairpiece.. just too much. And he keeps alluding to his eventual faith so I anticipate getting more and more of that, too. I'll finish this book but reading it isn't an experience I'm treasureing.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, May 05, 2014 - 9:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Totally agree about writers who persist/insist on repeating the same details throughout the book -- wildly annoying!

I'm nearly 2/3 done with The Little Friend and I am loving it. So much better than The Secret History -- understandably so, given the 10-year gap between the two. Assuming Tartt maintains this pattern, The Goldfinch should be a treat indeed. In the meantime, back to my "little friend"....

Luvstarzz35

08-21-2008

Monday, May 05, 2014 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Luvstarzz35 a private message Print Post    
Heckagirl631...I've read Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series...yes, find the third one =)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 05, 2014 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Uncle-ricky.. he also uses "gonna" constantly.. slow going but I'm up to where he landed the part on MTM show.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, May 05, 2014 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
That Murray was the role of a lifetime and certainly his. (He was also pretty good as "Chicken" on the original "Hawaii 5-0" - so creepy!). I'm "gonna" wish you well as you work your way to the end of his memoir - sounds like a workout!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 05, 2014 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Had my bookclub meeting last night UNCLE RICKY...
"Before I Go to Sleep" was a hit! I see there's a movie coming out soon too!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Hooray! That's wonderful, Reenie. I would have been shocked if they hadn't reacted well, but you never know (as you know). I've had people tell me they loathed books I've loved and vigorously recommended. People's tastes can be so fussy!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I MUST pull Before I Go to Sleep off of my bookshelf and start it TODAY. Your raves have me excited for a great page-turner.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Hmm, I seem to own it

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Teach (and other Outlander fans) - I was very excited to receive in the mail today a sneak peek with the first 7 chapters of Written in My Own Heart's Blood! About 46 pages. I have it pre-ordered from Indigo in hardcover.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Luvstarzz35. I ordered book 3 from Amazon. Only $4, so not bad.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
:-) I've got the hardcover, the Kindle version and the audiobook all pre-ordered, Jasper. (Nah - I'm not an addict or anything!) Have you seen there's a Starz series starting this summer? Jamie is played by Sam Heughan, and Diana has said he IS the Jamie in her head. His voice in the trailers can make knees weak! LOL

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I saw the thread about it here and was sad. We don't get that channel, but then one of the Canadian stations picked it up. He is a handsome guy, but I haven't seen any commercials yet. Well three copies doesn't sound too outrageous you know, just in case the powers out and your battery is dead, lol

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 4:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
LOL! Jasper - this link might work. It's a video from the Canadian channel. http://outlander-italy.com/video-behind-the-scenes-outlander-via-et-canada/ or this one: http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x1ta6qn

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, May 12, 2014 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finally finished The Little Friend yesterday and utterly loved it. At the outset I was very concerned about how engrossed (if at all) I'd get once it became clear the main protagonist was a 12-year-old girl in the deep South (Mississippi) circa the early '70s.

It's a testament to Tartt's superior writing talent that she roped me right in, to the point that I was sad to reach the story's conclusion. Just imagine To Kill A Mockingbird's Scout Finch a little older but a LOT more precocious. Tartt's young heroine may not endure as much as Scout has, but little Harriet Dufresnes and her uber-hilarious sidekick (Hely Hull) keep things rolling along clear to the very end. It's an epic story - funny, scary, adventurous, and the suspenseful final chapter is worth the price of admission all by itself. Tartt is simply a tremendously gifted writer.

I switched gears completely to get a little NFL fix, what with the NFL draft happening this past weekend, by digging into 300 Pounds of Attitude: The Wildest Stories and Craziest Characters the NFL Has Ever Seen by Jonathan Rand. A nice piece of fluff to help me recover from havng to say goodbye to The Little Friend.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 12, 2014 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Gavin's book, skimming the parts about their ministry and association with a local (to OC) ministry that puts money into a very fancy building and grounds, as I often see when passing by on the freeway. Didn't bother to go back and count how many times he mentioned his hairpiece or being bald..

And half way through Once Upon a Wish: True Inspirational Stories of Make-A-Wish Children by Rachelle Sparks. I got it for free and certainly worth reading. They followed a few kids, not just for their make a wish but through their whole process of why they qualified and all the treatment too.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, May 12, 2014 - 3:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished Dana Stabenow's A Cold Day for Murder. Re-listening to An Echo in the Bone since Gabaldon's newest book comes out June 10. As soon as I make it through this week's research papers (FINAL drafts - WOOHOO!), I'll start in on Tart's Secret History. I am soooooo looking forward to a good read!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, May 12, 2014 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
We read Sycamore Row by John Grisham for our book club tonight. It was okay. There were way too many characters.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished City of Night by Dean Koontz. Boy, did it leave me hanging. Waiting for book 3 to come by mail. So started Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen in the meantime.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I LOVED Like Water for Elephants! I started the Tartt book - but I've only had 10 minutes of reading time. UGH!!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading In The Woods by Tana French. I'm going backwards because I read the last two books and am going back to the first two books now.