TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 01, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 01, 2014 users admin

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, April 14, 2014 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Ahhhh - interesting! I look forward to your review once you do read it, then - please don't forget to share it with us. Reading it as a layperson as I did, I wonder what you'll think of it, especially because of your educator background.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, April 14, 2014 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Now I'm in serious trouble - I'm about 1/4 of the way through a Wallander novel, AND I just discovered that The Secret History is available for Kindle via my library. The only saving grace is that it's on "hold," so hopefully I can finish Wallander before Tartt's novel becomes available. (I am going to have SUCH a hard time grading papers the next couple weeks! LOL)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Yikes! That is a lot, Teach -- good luck with keeping up with everything - I'm sure you'll find a way. One thing about The Secret History is that it contains a ton of dialogue to help keep the pace moving along fairly rapidly. There's lots of narrative, too, but it's not too terribly dense, so you'll finish the whole thing pretty quickly.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Upstairs in the White House: My Life With the First Ladies.. I actually dragged it out and didn't want it to end and wished the author hadn't retired shortly after the Nixons moved in, because he had so much to say about the First Ladies (and presidents) and families and styles and really humanized each one. Like the book about Arlington, I learned and enjoyed so much.

Going to read The Goldfinch next.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished Never Look Away and loved it - it must be nice to be Linwood Barclay: all that creativity channeled into cranking out such winning thrillers.

I next read the book Henry Bushkin wrote about Johnny Carson (which I became aware of thanks to CableJockey's review of it a few months ago). It had its dishy moments, but I got tired of reading about Bushkin himself. He really should've titled it "My Life Working for Johnny Carson."

Immersed now in Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson. I couldn't remember who had recommended it a while back and found (via the archives) that Reenie raved about it most recently and also reviewed by Mamie316 and CableJockey, both back in 2011. I'll be surprised if I don't enjoy it, too. I wish I were a faster reader; I'm anxious to find out what happens! Thanks for turning me onto it, Reenie!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Uncle Ricky - I hope you like "Before I Go to Sleep" like I did! I suggested that my book club read it, and it's our pick this month. Can't wait to hear what they think when we meet.

I am about 35% done with "The Goldfinch"...let's put it this way - I can't put it down.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 8:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
:-) That's how I felt about The Goldfinch, too, Reenie!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 9:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm 11% into The Goldfinch.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished Before I Go to Sleep and -- no need to alert the media -- I loved it, loved it, loved it. If the folks in your book club don't love it, too, Reenie, then it'll be time to find a new club!

I'm now chortling along with B.J. ("The Office") Novak's collection of stories, One More Thing - Stories and Other Stories. I've heard it's hit and miss, but that tends to be true of most short story compilations. It's his first book, so he's off to a promising start. And it's cute that he and his "Office" girlfriend (Mindy Kaling) are now both published authors - I think they're both adorable.

Zgoodgirl

08-22-2003

Friday, April 25, 2014 - 4:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zgoodgirl a private message Print Post    
I just read Stephen King's 11/22/63.
Probably one of the best books I have read in awhile.

Right now I'm reading Waking Up Dead by Margo Bond Collins which I got free on Kindle from Amazon. It is an OK read. Some corny moments in it, but entertaining.

I don't know if it was here, but someone mentioned Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight? I think that is my next one.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, April 25, 2014 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I recently read the McCreight book and enjoyed it. (At least 3 or 4 others here have read it, too.) It's her first published novel and has been optioned by HBO for a film version. Her second novel comes out next April.

I finished the short stories by Novak. Most of them were very good, a few were excellent and only a handful were duds. His style reminded me of David Sedaris (but not nearly as funny).

I began Longbourn yesterday as my library copy finally arrived! I was scandalized to come across a four-letter word (the one that begins with an 's' and ends with a 't') within the first couple of chapters, but I'll get over it. It's just NOT a word one would ever encounter in any of Austen's works. As I said, I'll get over it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 25, 2014 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL.. well shit is actually still ok here, I think, as long as it isn't used to bash someone.

It happened to be a favorite word of Neil, the original owner and founder of TVCH (which was BB Fan club until CBS got grouchy with us).

Hope you enjoy the book..

I'm deep into The Goldfinch, clearly well written though I'm not digging some of the characters, even though they are extremely well-drawn and written.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, April 25, 2014 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I'm jealous you're moving right along with The Goldfinch! My library copy should be popping along sometime in early autumn (fingers crossed). After I finish Longbourn, I'm diving right into Tartt's second book, The Little Friend, so that'll tide me over. Hope you continue to enjoy Goldfinch clear through to the end and that your review is similar to Teach's and Reenie's!

Jasper

09-14-2000

Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Hello everyone. I didn't stop reading! I did just finish Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay, loved it. And I am about 2/3 through Patrick Taylor's An Irish Country Village which I am enjoying. I think he is a wonderful storyteller. As well I recently finished listening to Twisted by Jonathon Kellerman and Sworn to Silence and Her Last Breath both by Linda Castilo. I do like this series about a former Amish female sheriff.

Oh Teach I just received A Trail of Fire by Diana Gabaldon. It is advertised as four Outlander tales but it does have The Custom of the Army and Lord John and the Plague of Zombies as titles. I think at least the Custom of the Army I have as a novella on Kobo. Have you read these? I did have to get it from the UK, fortunately fairly cheaply.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 8:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I've read all of them, and (as expected) enjoyed them all. :-) The only short I haven't read yet is "Virgins" about Jamie and Ian, and I don't think it's out yet in the US.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Finished THE GOLDFINCH! It was a bit long for my taste, but a very enjoyable book! Insight into art theft, antique reproductions, furniture refinishing, and drugs.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
That Donna Tartt does not play around when it comes to length, Reenie. But I'm glad you liked it. I've finished Chapter One of The Little Friend and I'm anxious to see how the story plays out - with chapter one behind me, I only have less than 500 pages to go!

I finished Longbourn yesterday and enjoyed it. The section where James goes off to war was a tiny bit cumbersome, probably because I was annoyed the story veered off for so many pages away from the Bennet household. Anyway, it was definitely a worthwhile read.

And I neglected to mention earlier that it was Mamie's review of the BJ Novak book that inspired me to seek it out. It may've otherwise been years before I noticed it had been published.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am appreciating The Goldfinch but the main character is sort of hard to like, even knowing what he had been through.. yes learning about antiques, furniture, drugs and more. Definitely well written.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 6:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished Mary Higgins Clark, "Remember Me". Not bad for a free book. Pretty good actually.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 8:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
The invention of Wings....Sue Monk.....Loved it....did the audio version and loved the one' that read it....great book

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 8:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I am in Deep. Trouble.

I still have about 30% of my Wallander book to finish; however, essays came in today, final exams (with 2 essays and 8 mini-essays) come in Wed. and Friday for my college class, my seniors are submitting another section of research papers on Wed. (and I still have the previous section to grade), AND not one, but TWO library books became available:

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Nigerian author - you MUST watch her TED talk about the "Danger of a Single Story")

AND....The Secret History by Donna Tartt.

Did I mention that tomorrow night I have a final rehearsal and a concert to play piano for, appointments on Wed. and Thursday, and prom is Saturday night (I help with post-prom from midnight to 6 AM)?

Sleep is highly overrated when there is so much reading to be done!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 6:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Teach - you ARE in deep trouble!!!

I can be waiting weeks for even one book and then two come bouncing in.

Just take a deep breath and it will work out - even if you have to send something back unread...I know, I know, we hate to do that, but sometimes the Universe is telling us to do just that!!

SEAMONKEY - I know, Theo is maddening isn't he?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
**Snort** Send a book back?? That's crazy talk! hee,hee...I just turn off the wi-fi on my Kindle 3 and keep that book as long as I need to. It gets "returned" to the library so I'm not preventing anyone else from getting it, but I also have more than 2-3 weeks to read. WHEW!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Teach... whew!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished The Goldfinch at 3am.. was close enough to the end I had to finish but it made for a short night of sleep.

Starting something totally different, This is Your Captain Speaking: My Fantastic Voyage Through Hollywood, Faith & Life by Gavin MacLeod of The Love Boat ..

There may be more "faith" than I'd prefer, but I got it for $1.99 and it is back to almost $15, so hopefully it will be worth at least what I paid.

TNT Heads up.. there is a new Blessings book out and the title is: Heart of Gold: A Blessings Novel by Beverly Jenkins. I think you've read the first 4 in the series from your library. I plan to quickly re-read the first four before reading the new one. And then hope she is writing another ;)