TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
General Discussion

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: General Discussion users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 09, 2015Rissa25 09-09-15  1:00 pm
Archive through April 11, 2019Jimmer25 04-11-19  4:29 pm
Archive through October 01, 2020Tresbien25 10-01-20  3:42 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Saturday, November 21, 2020 - 7:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Usually something catches my attention in book suggestion lists, so I thought I'd share this seasonal one: https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/11-books-to-get-you-through-thanksgiving-2020/2020/11/17/12c54040-2793-11eb-92b7-6ef17b3fe3b4_story.html

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Wednesday, November 25, 2020 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
During these challenging times, I am thankful for all of you who point me toward good reads and steer me away from others not worth my time. Happy Thanksgiving.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, November 25, 2020 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well, Tres! And thank you for all your contributions to our little library circle of literature lovers!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, November 25, 2020 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Ditto! Thanks to everyone and Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating it tomorrow!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, November 26, 2020 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
As I've said many times, I love this thread. So wonderful hearing everyone talk about the books they have enjoyed (LOL and not enjoyed). I've followed many of your recommendations with great pleasure.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Thursday, November 26, 2020 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Happy Thanksgiving! I am thankful to everyone who shares their good and bad reviews here. I've also followed many of your recommendations with great pleasure.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, November 26, 2020 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I feel the same way. Thank you everyone! 💗💗

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, December 08, 2020 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Hot off the press: In the closest vote ever, Matt Haig's The Midnight Library has won Best Fiction of the Year in the annual Goodreads contest, narrowly defeating Fredrik Backman's Anxious People by a mere five votes! The final count was 72,828 for TML, 72,823 for AP. (I loved the former and can't wait to read the latter.)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, December 08, 2020 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
WOW!! I have both of those on hold from our library. Lots of people in line in front of me, but as I'm buried in paperwork for the next month, it's not a big deal.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Thursday, April 15, 2021 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Diana Gabaldon's ninth book of the Outlander series, Go Tell The Bees That I Am Gone will be published on 11/23/2021. Excited!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, April 15, 2021 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yes that was a big announcement!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, April 15, 2021 - 1:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I forgot to mention but, as it happens, I'm currently reading Written in My Own Heart's Blood so my timing is pretty good! :-)

Now, waiting for the tenth one will be a problem for me.

She has slowed down considerably but she is still far outpacing George R.R. Martin!

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Thursday, November 18, 2021 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
It's time again for another WaPo best books list. Hope you find something you'll love: https://wapo.st/3oDvOME

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, August 08, 2022 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just found out my library card has expired. Who knew? Now I'll have to find time to go get it renewed in person.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, August 08, 2022 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Lol, Heckagirl ~ It was probably about 5 years ago that my library notified me for the first time ever that my card had expired after having had it for decades.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, August 09, 2022 - 4:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I was trying to update my password. No go. I asked why it didn't work, and was told my card had expired. I've had it for decades too.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, August 09, 2022 - 9:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I assumed it had to do with updating records digitally, etc. I imagine few people ever notify the library when someone passes away or when their family moves out of town so this helps to keep the records a little more up to date. It was no biggie but I did chuckle at it the first time.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, August 09, 2022 - 5:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I bet you can renew over the phone, Heckagirl. I do it all the time, and since I started working at our library just a month ago, I now know it's simply pulling up your record and changing the date. Easy peasy.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, August 10, 2022 - 11:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
No, I was told I had to renew in person. I had to show them my driver license. I'm good now, though. They had even built a new library since I had been.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, August 10, 2022 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It probably depends on how restrictive the library is with borrowing. Especially with e-books (which are fantastic by the way), you don't even need to be remotely physically close to a library to borrow the books. So the bigger libraries want to ensure that you are a legitimate "customer" living or working in the same city at least.

That's so cool that you're working at the library, Teach! Are you a volunteer or do you get paid?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, August 10, 2022 - 4:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Jimmer - I work one Saturday a month (2 if there are 5 Saturdays), and I do get paid. They had a part time job available that would have been 2 days every week as well, but it just didn't pay enough to meet my retirement job expenses. This is just enough for my wine for the month (or I can save up 2 months for the good whisky)! 😂📚

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, February 09, 2023 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I've heard about two books in the last week that are new to me and wondered if anyone had read them or knew of them. The first is a new book titled The Bandit Queens by Parini Sharoff and the second is an old murder mystery puzzle published in the 1930's titled Cain's Jawbone by Edward Powys Mathers. Since I like puzzles and mysteries, I ordered the 2nd one on Amazon. The other I have signed up for at the library but it will be at least a 12 week wait.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, February 09, 2023 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Sorry - I've not heard of either one.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Saturday, February 11, 2023 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I've heard about Cain's Jawbone on the morning talk shows and am intrigued. It sounds like fun but really, really difficult to solve. I know my curiosity is going to win out and I'll be ordering it too.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 12, 2023 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I've heard of Cain's Jawbone and that is notoriously difficult to solve.

I look forward to your review of it Kappy.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: