TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 14, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 14, 2014 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, March 24, 2014 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Recently finished Sweet Salt Air by Barbara Delinksky. Took a while to get into it, but very enjoyable.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "The Mercedes Coffin" by Faye Kellerman. Was not impressed. Seemed like a fairly typical crime mystery. Not the type of book I usually read, but every once in a while I like to try something different. And it cost me nothing. Found it left in a room at work.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 1:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finally finished John Connolly's Dark Hollow! It took me a week, but it felt like a month has gone by since I started it. Some writers are just difficult to slog through and I think Connolly is one of them. The payoff at the end was satisfying, but, boy, what a workout that was!

I'm sure George Pelecanos's latest (The Double), which I began this morning, will be much more digestable as he has never let me down.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Monday, March 31, 2014 - 11:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I have started reading a fun book, The House At Riverton by Kate Morton. If you like Downton Abbey, you will enjoy this!
http://www.girllostinabook.com/2013/02/review-house-at-riverton-by-kate-morton.html

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, March 31, 2014 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I started Pearl S. Buck's "lost" book, The Eternal Wonder this week. I'm very much looking forward to it.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, but Game of Thrones really isn't doing it for me. I'll finish it, but I doubt I'll read the entire series. My DH and DS will LOVE it, though.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, March 31, 2014 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Got several books of more what I usually read at the library bookstore. I just started reading Duma Key by Stephen King. That's more like it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 31, 2014 - 9:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That was a good one!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 7:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Just finished The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. Enjoyed it.

Now will be starting Longbourn by Jo Baker because of the recommendations upthread.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished the Pelecanos book and wouldn't you know it, he let me down! It definitely was not up to his standard; it felt thin on plot and/or rushed, as if he had to write something in order to make a deadline.

I've now begun The Secret History by Donna Tartt. This one I'm reading only because of a conversation I overheard two women having during the intermission of a play I recently saw at the Mark Taper Forum. One was raving to the other about how great the book was and insisted to her friend that she "must read the book!" There was something about how passionately the woman spoke of the book to make me seek it out. It's a longie (523 pages) so I'm hoping for the best.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 3:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Hope it is a good one!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thank you, Sea - very sweet of you to say so. Based on the 5-star reviews at Goodreads, it should be good (but you never know).

And I'm looking forward to Reenie's review of Longbourn - I'm still waiting for my library copy to arrive. Patience cures all anxiousness!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I still have The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt to read. The Secret History sounds really good too.

I'm down to #10 on the waiting list for Longbourn. :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Loved The Goldfinch!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 2:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Now on book five of "The Outlander" series - "The Fiery Cross."

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
:-) Just wait until the butter churn confessional!!!

Finishing up Pearl S. Buck's The Eternal Wonder. It was much different than her other novels, but I enjoyed it. I enjoyed even more the opportunity to read a book in two days without excessive worry about paperwork - YAY for Spring Break!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 7:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I've read Ann Hood's book of essays (she edited and wrote her own essay), Knitting Yarns and then her non fiction book about losing her daughter at age 5, so well written and REAL.. should be required reading for anyone dealing with someone who has suffered a huge loss, Comfort: A Journey Through Grief and now I'm reading one of her novels, based on her adoption experience, I inmagine. The Red Thread. .

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 11:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The Red Thread was okay.

Now I'm back to nonfiction and this is interesting.. Upstairs at the White House: My Life with the First Ladies by J. B. West, who was assistant to Chief Usher and then Chief Usher at the White House from Roosevelt to Nixon. I'm fascinated with what he is telling about the Roosevelts. Like Eleanor was in constant motion, had lots of people at dinner, refused secret service and would often take the bus or walk places.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 7:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Just finished LONGBOURN by Jo Baker. Loved it. The author has the ability to make it seem like the book was written in the 1800's.

This is the "downstairs" story of the Bennet's from Pride and Prejudice. I thoroughly became engrossed in it.

Now on to THE GOLDFINCH!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Glad to hear you loved Longbourn, Reenie! My copy should be arriving within the next week or so. My copy of The Goldfinch, on the other hand, is at least three months away from turning up. I was #1,004 when I joined the waiting list.

Just this morning I finished Tartt's debut The Secret History (she wrote it in '92). I'll be very curious to see how much she's improved in the 21 years leading up to The Goldfinch. I'll read her middle novel (The Little Friend) of course (written in '02) to get a complete glimpse of her writing evolution.

The Secret History was very compelling despite its slightly bloated length. I usually object to books that have that bloated feel, but this one had a deeply engaging plot that made it easy to forgive the bloat.

I've now dug into Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay. I'll be sad when I've caught up with all his titles, so I'm reading them very slowly (his stuff is off-the-meter fun).

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "Duma Key" by Stephen King. It was really good. Would make a good movie.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 14, 2014 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It would be a good one.

I'm still engrossed in the book from the Chief Usher at the White House. I've gone through the Roosevelts, Trumans, Eisenhowers and now with the Kennedys and learning about the style of each first lady.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, April 14, 2014 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
And the praise for The Goldfinch just reached an all-new level:

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-2014-pulitzer-prize-fiction-goldfinch-donna-tartt-20140414,0,6006533.story#axzz2ytyPkiZ2

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, April 14, 2014 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
YAY!! I loved that book; some day I hope to be able to read it with one of my senior level classes.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, April 14, 2014 - 4:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I'm curious, Teach, if you had previously read Tartt's The Secret History as well, since it centers so prominently on the students and their professor. If you did read it, what did you think of it?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, April 14, 2014 - 6:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I haven't read it -- waiting for a Kindle daily deal to get it. :-)