TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 24, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 24, 2014 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 6:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL, yep that is it..

I'm up to the Spanish American war at this point.

Of course I'm reading it on Kindle.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Due to yet another snow day, I was able to finish The White Lioness, another Wallander book. I enjoyed it; it was especially interesting as it alternated between Sweden and South Africa AND because it was written in 1993 - before Mandela was president.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 12:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Crazy how a book of history has brought me to tears more than once with little details so I can picture the process and ceremony and sounds.. the first unknown soldier.. and JFK, on his only visit to Arlington in life.. he was interested in everything there and commented "I could stay here forever". And it wasn't a done deal that he would go there.. tears already just reading about this.

And so much history just through this lens.

Lyn

08-07-2002

Monday, March 03, 2014 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lyn a private message Print Post    
I just finished Between Friends by Debbie Macomber. Not my usual reading material - not even sure how it ended up on my iPad - but it was a great read.

The story follows the lives of two women from childhood to retirement, through letters and journal entries.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 8:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Uncle Ricky - thank you very much! That is one of the beautiful things about TVCH - anybody who can help DOES!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
The pleasure is entirely mine - glad to help!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 7:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Just finished "Before I Go To Sleep: A Novel" by S. J. Watson

Couldn't put it down!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 8:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished On Hallowed Ground and just starting Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 9:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Reenie, I bought that book a year ago and never got around to it. Glad to hear it is a page-turner. I'll get it off my dusty bookshelf.

Sea, a friend sent me the Scientology book a while back and I haven't gotten to it either. I'm anxious to hear what you think.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 3:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Rieann...if you get around to reading it, I'd love to hear your opinion. A page turner(digital) for me!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finished Morrissey's Autobiography was dismayed to find that a genius lyricist doesn't necessarily result in a good writer of prose. It was very stream-of-consciousness, which made for a wildly annoying reading experience. Oh well.

Then I tackled Slow Getting Up: A Story of NFL Survival from the Bottom of the Pile by Nate Jackson. Very well-written for a first-timer, but with limited appeal, I think, to hard-core fans (like me) of the NFL.

My copy of On Hallowed Ground: The Story of Arlington National Cemetery by Robert M. Poole finally arrived from the main downtown L.A. branch of the library. Hooray! I've read the first couple of chapters this afternoon and am enjoying it immensely!

Thanks, Sea, for the tip about the latter history book! And I think you're really going to like Going Clear, too, despite the disturbing aspects the writer presents. I read it last year and was impressed by how unbiased the tone was. The amount of access the writer had was pretty amazing.

I vividly recall -- as a teenager in the mid-1970s -- going to Hollywood Blvd. most weekends to see the latest movies and often having to pass by the original Scientology recruiting center, which was very close to the Egyptian Theater. The "recruiters" were relentless in trying to get EVERYBODY to buy their Dianetics stuff -- even young teenagers like my pals and me. Very creepy!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm slow getting into Going Clear, but I don't think I'll be surprised at anything. I've read quite a bit about Scientology already.

And quite recently I have seen recruiting ads for Scientology on Orange County buses. Huh.

Creepy, indeed.

I sort of miss that book you are starting.. I kept learning things I didn't know that added to my knowledge of history.

I didn't buy Slow Getting Up, for the reason you mentioned, but I did think it sounded interesting. So many books and I'm running out of time for them all!!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I know the feeling! Never enough time!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, March 10, 2014 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I continue to be mesmerized by the Outlander series! I am about 1/3rd of the way through book four. They are each VERY long - 800+ pages.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 4:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
:-) I'm so glad you're enjoying them, TNT! I've even read her "companion" book (The Outlandish Companion) cover to cover. Of course, it was published whilst I was waiting for The Fiery Cross to come out - so I was desperate to get my hands on ANYTHING she was writing. It's a handy reference book when trying to keep track of so many story lines and characters, and she has said that another companion will be released after MOBY is published. (Thank goodness!)

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 4:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Gringo's in Honduras Guillermo Yuscaran

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just finished the 3rd and last book in The Bridei Chronicles, The Well of Shades by Juliet Marillier. I wish there was another one. All of her books are very good.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 6:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Just finished "Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy" by Helen Fielding.

As a fan of the previous Bridget Jones books, I was afraid that this was going to be one book too many for the series. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised. Loved it and really did LOL at some parts.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Attachments by Rainbow Rowell.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
My inter-library loan copy of "On Hallowed Ground" has arrived!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
That's great news, TTF! And earlier this afternoon, I finished reading my copy of it. When you finish it yourself, you'll likely thank Sea as profusely as I'm about to do for suggesting it in the first place.

Sea, it was wonderful, cover to cover. So many great individual stories. My absolute favorite was Knappie, the Army private who fought at Anzio in WWII, all 5'6" and 118 lbs. of him. I won't spoil it for TTF, but I was utterly amazed by Knappie's story. I can't believe they haven't done a movie of his life!

And my copy of The Gods of Guilt by Michael Connelly FINALLY arrived the other day. All told, it took 86 days of waiting for it to be delivered to my local branch. I'll be diving into it tonight, just as soon as I finish watching Girls; Walking Dead; Amazing Race; Resurrection; and Revenge!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 6:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Tonight will be busy: Amazing Race, Believe, Resurrection, The Mentalist, Revenge (though I'm behind on that one). Amazing Race includes charting it, which can take some time, too).

I loved so many parts of On Hallowed Ground.. so many stories and images.

Still just over a third of the way through Going Clear. It is following other books I've read and makes me just as sick knowing what happens and who facilitates it and the power involved.

I've given up on the Noonday Demon, well written, huge and maybe later..

A friend gave me a novel that is a paperback, so I'll stash in the bathroom for times I don't drag the Kindle in there.. looks to be a fast read.. The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished Connelly's The Gods of Guilt and it was excellent and very much worth the three-month wait for my copy to turn up. It will make a terrific film if they decide to go that route.

A little while ago I launched into John Connolly's second novel Dark Hollow which, if it's similar to his debut (Every Dead Thing), should be a nice, creepy thriller to consume!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 11:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Going Clear.. glad I bought it.. and the novel my friend gave me was The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood. I liked it and bought her non fiction book of essays on knitting, each by a well known author, and so far, interesting. I have knitted so that appeals to me too.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Monday, March 24, 2014 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
reading The Giver, for the first time