TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 11, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 11, 2014 users admin

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Seamonkey, for that insight about the increased copy-editing errors. It's a shame these publishers allow things to get sloppy like that.

Finished Basket Case and ended up liking it. I'll likely read more Hiaasen somewhere down the line.

Also finished Generation X - Tales for an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Coupland. (Thanks to IHeartKaysar for turning me on to this writer!) Coupland wrote it in '91 and so many of his observations about the 20-somethings of the '90s are still applicable to today's 20-somethings!

Am now engrossed in Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-ravaged Hospital by Sheri Fink, a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter who chronicled the mysterious deaths at a top New Orleans hospital in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That is on my list.. I think I'm waiting for a price drop on Five Days at Memorial..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished The Distracted Yogi.. what an ordeal.

Starting Escape from Mt Merapi by Kate Benzin.. about living near an active volcano.

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
Has anyone read The Wayward Pine series by Blake Crouch?

I've been reading the first in the series called "Pine" for the last few days. I still (at chapt 11) don't have a clue what I even think is going on, much less what is going on, but I've found it very difficult to put it down. It might be science fiction, it might be a mystery. I'm not sure, but it's very intriguing. In fact, I think I'll go read some more now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 27, 2014 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Escape from Mt Merapi.. interesting and gorgeous pictures included.

Starting Fire Season: Field Notes from a Wilderness Lookout by Philip Connors.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished Five Days at Memorial last night. It was really long but also really good. The writer did a great job of writing sympathetic narratives for the victims and for the doctors who were accused of wrongdoing.

Am now enjoying Drinking Closer to Home by Jessica Anya Blau. Her other two books were winners and I have no doubt this one'll be the same.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Friday, January 31, 2014 - 7:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Just finished Sycamore Row by John Grisham. Very enjoyable. I felt it could have been shortened up a bit, but the ending was so good, it was worth the wait.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I'm in the middle of Johnny Carson by Henry Bushkin. Its a gossipy behind the scenes tell all written by a man who spent a lot of time with Johnny and got to see all sides of the king of late night. I was a huge fan of Mr. Carson and the Tonight Show, so, I dont like to read about Johnny's temper, his cold uncaring attitude towards those he didnt like, his unreasonable demands to those around him. But the author was thrilled to become Carson's lawyer and be included in the heady stratosphere that men like Johnny occupied in their prime. I take it with a grain of salt as I do most books of this kind. Its still interesting and entertaining.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/08/books/review/johnny-carson-by-henry-bushkin.html?_r=0

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Fire Season, a nice blend of memoir about working in a lookout and history of the area, of the Forest Service, how fire has been handled and mishandled, same for wild areas.

Starting An Inconvenient Year by Yvonne Joye, a woman in Ireland about her breast cancer and the effects on friends and family.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished Glitter and Glue by Kelly Corrigan. (If you haven't read her book, The Middle Place, you really should.) It reminded me so much of me and my mom, which made it very emotional for me since I am taking care of my mom who suffers from Lewy Body Dementia. It made me realize things about my mother that I hadn't really thought of.

I am reading The Deepest Secret by Carla Buckley and Golden State by Michelle Richmond. I love Richmond's books because they are always set around the San Francisco bay area and that's where I live.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Friday, February 07, 2014 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Just finishing up "W is for Wasted" by Sue Grafton. It's good, but at 497 pages, toooooo long for my taste.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, February 07, 2014 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh I did finish An Inconvenient Year, and now reading super hacker Kevin Mitnick's memoir and find myself more irritated at him than in awe of his skills.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, February 07, 2014 - 12:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished Drinking Closer to Home and was ultimately disappointed by it even though it started out well. It's definitely the weakest of Anya-Blau's three books - the shifts back and forth through time were too sloppily done and very distracting.

I'm now immersed in the (never-fails-to-please) Linwood Barclay's 7th novel, Fear The Worst. I'll go into cardiac arrest (from shock) if I don't end up loving it!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished The Physician by Noah Gordon last night. Loved it, but at 800 pages, it was slow going because of school papers! I want to read the other two in the trilogy, but I'm going to wait until Spring Break so I can binge-read!

Moving on to a Wallander 4-book series. I stumbled on the TV series with Kenneth Brannaugh (only 9 episodes over 3 seasons, but they were INCREDIBLE!). There are at least 10 books, so I'm hoping they're as fabulous as the TV series. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the Mitnik book.. interesting but probably way too much detail for most people.

Starting a memoir Chasing Alaska: A Portrait of the Last Frontier Then and Now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 10, 2014 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
TEACH!!

http://tinyurl.com/k7dsumk

Free and bargain books in Spanish, it seems..Amazon

Pjlover

09-12-2010

Monday, February 10, 2014 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pjlover a private message Print Post    
How exciting to find this topic here! I love to read and feel totally lost and panic if I don't have a book at hand. However, after looking back through this thread, I think my reading pleasure is much different from most of you.

I love mystery/suspense/thriller type books. Some of my favorite authors are James Patterson, Kay Hooper, Stephen White, Lisa Jackson and Lisa Gardner. Books I suppose some would call "fluff", but I call fun, fun, fun! LOL!!

I go to the library to get many of my books to try and save money. I've also been checking out the free Kindle books on Amazon and have run across quite a few authors unknown to me that I ended up loving their books. I found She Belongs to Me by Carmen DeSousa and liked it very much, so paid a small price to get her sequel Split Decisions.

I never thought about keeping a list of books I read, but what a fun idea! It might also keep me from buying the same book twice! I hate it when that happens!! LOL!!

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Monday, February 10, 2014 - 4:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
Hi Pjlover, I tend to lean mostly towards the mystery/detective/thriller genres, too. I read other genres as well, but the mystery/thrillers are my 'go to' reads. :-)

Some of my favorite authors are Nicci French, Sophie Hannah, and Tana French. I have some Lisa Gardner books, but haven't read them yet. Is there one of hers you think would be a good starter?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, February 10, 2014 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
THANKS, Sea!! I've gotten some great deals on Spanish books for Kindle, and just today I ordered To Kill a Mockingbird in German for Kindle (exchange student). We were rather bummed we couldn't find The Great Gatsby for Kindle in German, though.

I'm so excited to start some of the Wallander mysteries by Henning Mankell. Loved the 9 episodes that were created with Kenneth Brannaugh (free on Amazon Instant Video - Prime account). I'm looking for light reading, suspence, and a bit of drama for the rest of the school year. :-)
}

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, February 10, 2014 - 7:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Pjlover, I read those "fluff" books too. I just rotate with other genres. I've got Lisa Gardner's latest, Fear Nothing, from the library that I need to start. I also recently picked up Jayne Ann Krentz's River Road on my Kindle. I need to get reading!

Teach, I'm anxious to hear what you think of Henning Mankell's books. I loved the Wallander series too. I picked up one of his novels at the library a while back and never got around to it. Story of my life!

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Monday, February 10, 2014 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
I buy a lot of great books at the Good Will - only $1.29 each.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, February 10, 2014 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Rieann, I just discovered that two of the Mankell books were on sale at Audible for under $5, so I snagged them.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 10, 2014 - 8:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I love all the free and very inexpensive books on Kindle.. especially love reading a free or $0.99 book after the price goes back to $9.99 or even higher.

I DO have often different tastes in books, but there are plenty of memoirs and non fiction available and of course fiction that I also enjoy.

And I still have some unread dead tree books around too.

Pjlover

09-12-2010

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pjlover a private message Print Post    
Whrlwnd, Lisa Gardner has two good series that I really liked, the DD Warren and FBI Profiler series. When I find an author I like, I tend to look to different sources to find the first published and read them in order. She does have several stand alone books that were good too.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I like the Lisa Gardner and Lisa Jackson books too. I also love Barbara Freehy - I've actually paid for a few of her books!

And I love all the free books for Kindle. I get an email every day from bookbub.com and always find one or two that I want to download for free.