TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 21, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 21, 2014 users admin

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, January 06, 2014 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I had 167 books for 2013, but none could be considered literary masterpieces, lol. I don't have the time to pick up and get into anything besides fluff these days unfortunately.

Who read Doctor Sleep? Was it really good? Sis mentioned wanting it the other day and I was thinking of getting it for her birthday for her.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 06, 2014 - 10:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I started it, but postponed it.. just wasn't in the mood,but I have it on my Kindle.

See Cablejockey's post above..

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am reading The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. I've actually been reading it for a while. I don't know why it's taking so long.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'm quite interested in your review of this book, Mamie. It's piqued my interest, but I'm not sure if it's worth a read while school is still in session or if I should wait until summer.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mamie did you ever read her second book? I LOVED the first one of course, Secret Life of Bees, but the second one had disappointing reviews and I never did buy it and never saw a price drop..

I finished Ethics for a New Millennium. (which was written prior to the year 2000).. and while I don't agree 100%, he certainly made a ton of good points. (The Dalai Lama)

Now sure what book will be next to read in paper in the bathroom. Oddly, I find having a book in there is a good thing.. for one thing it mostly keeps my kindle out of that room :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
The Mermaid Chair? Didn't like it at all. I liked The Invention of Wings (finally finished it) but I would not say that I loved it. It really seemed to drag in places.

I am now reading In the Blood by Lisa Unger.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 9:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Thanks.. I loved the first book so much. Also read the book she wrote with her daughter about traveling (non fiction) and it was ok, but I won't go to her others unless there is a drastic price drop and maybe not even then.

The new (but I've had it around for quite awhile.. all my paper books are mostly pre 2008) paper book is The Noonday Demon: An Atlas Of Depression by Andrew Solomon.

Getting into the Wally Lamb on the Kindle Fire

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I've been a Lamb fan since his very first novel, She's Come Undone. My favorite is The Hour I First Believed (probably because it's about teachers and Columbine), but his I Know This Much is True was fabulous as well. }

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I agree re Wally Lamb. So far I'm not liking any of the characters in this newest book, but the writing is good.

And oddly, because the last name of two characters is Oh.. Sandra Oh popped into mind and I cannot make myself "see" Annie Oh as fair and red or blonde headed.. I want to see her as Asian.. lol.. (I remember reading Gone With the Wind as a kid and in my mind Scarlett O'Hara must have red hair and then later I saw the movie and had some trouble accepting Vivian Leigh and her black hair (even though I think the book described her character that way).

But I consider Wally Lamb to be not just a very good and talented writer, but a versatile writer and I hope he writes many more good books.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 10, 2014 - 12:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Free book alert on Kindle (could be on other devices, as well)..

Book of Mercy Subject is book banning, well reviewed.

And currently free.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Friday, January 10, 2014 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Thanks Sea...snagged Book of Mercy!

I am currently reading "Divergent". It's good, but for some reason I am not as into it as I thought I'd be. Might just be my mood though.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, January 10, 2014 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Sea! That topic is very personal to me (having been the brunt of a town-wide, six-month attack against a book I taught in AP), so I'm very excited to read this!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 10, 2014 - 3:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Hee! Of course I thought of you immediately, Teach.. but figured others might have interest.

I do hope it is good, but free so no matter.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Read Book of Mercy in one sitting yesterday! It was enjoyable and I wanted to see what happens!

I've got a few books lined up here (digital line!) and will start one soon.

I would also like to recommend "Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea" by Barbara Demick. I was engrossed in what has gone on in this country.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished We Are Water and already wishing Wally Lamb had another book out now! Fiction, non-fiction, whatever..

I'm going to star Book of Mercy next.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 17, 2014 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Book of Mercy and enjoyed it but could have spent more time with some of the people and for heaven's sake, what did they name that baby?

Starting A Stroke of Luck: A Girl's Second Chance at Life by Juli K Dixon, PhD with Jessica Dixon.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, January 17, 2014 - 6:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Earlier this week I finished Alexander McCall Smith's The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon, the latest in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books. I love the characters, and the gentle storytelling, BUT this one seemed to be missing a couple of wrap-up scenes, IMHO. She solved two cases, but we didn't see her actually tell her clients about it, it was more implied, especially with one case. It felt jarringly abrupt. Like a scene or two went missing towards the end.

What I'm planning to begin reading next is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Concurrently I'm reading Maeve's Times, selected writings from the Irish Times by the late Maeve Binchy, compiled by her husband, poet Gordon Snell. Since it's short articles, I'm picking it up and putting it down as the spirit moves me.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, January 17, 2014 - 8:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished Game Change and loved it clear to the very end - wonderfully written.

I finally got my library copy of Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight, which Rieann recommended way back in June (!). It was a nice, fast read that kept you wondering how it would end up. I was a tiny bit disappointed with the ending, but it didn't take away my enjoyment of the overall story. I was shocked by a couple of the copy-editing boo-boos, but that's not the writer's fault. I was scandalized by the copy-editor missing some like this (paraphrasing): "...the decision was long overdo." Overdo? Instead of overdue? Shocking!

Finishing up Basket Case by Carl Hiaasen. Some parts I don't like, but I like more of it than I dislike. I hope it has a great ending. That'll determine whether I bother with any of his other books.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 6:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
SEAMONKEY ....I kept saying..."so what's the baby's name"? and I kept reading, but I saw no name!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Uncle Ricky.. I've noticed in recent years more and more books, especially books on e readers, but not only those books .. where I swear the editing suffered from auto-correct and also where words were allowed to stay that were WORDS but not the correct word.. maybe antonyms or stuff like overdo instead of overdue, there instead of their etc.

Even in a very well plotted and constructed book that can be so distracting, and if the book has other flaws, it just is a real deal breaker.

This book I'm reading, is such a real look at how hard it is to have a child with life changing/threatening illness, even with both parents having jobs and insurance and wonderfully supportive families. And many people don't have all that going for them. Whew.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer last night. It was good. It held my interest all through.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
A Stroke of Luck was pretty amazing, what the family went through and continues to go through but lots of luck, too.. mom and grandma both teachers.. mom teaches teachers in field of math..

Anyway on to a different sort of memoir: Buck Brannaman's The Faraway Horses: The Adventures and Wisdom of One of America's Most Renouwned Horsemen.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 20, 2014 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Wow, The Book Theif was outstanding! It's the second book in the past little while that I've read, that was really original and worthy of all it's awards! Of course, I bawled all the way through the last bit. Excellent read! Anyone read anything ELSE by Markus Zusak?

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 6:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I just finished Maeve Binchy's last book, A Week in Winter. The beginning introduces us to Chicky, who is changing her life, moving back to western Ireland and opening a retreat/b&b. The first guests are briefly introduced. The following chapters take us in-depth into each guest's life and tells how they happened to go to this out-of-the-way, just opened place. Each chapter could be a short story by itself. I thoroughly enjoyed it! It could have made a nice series.

Last night I began Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones, Mad About the Boy. Bridget Jones is such a funny character. I found myself laughing with tears running down my cheeks already in the first chapters.

Mameb, I have not read anything by Markus Zusak. The Book Thief is on my TBR list, which is miles long. LOL

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The Buck Branaman book was interesting.. lots of detail on horses (well not THAT much detail) and his seminars and his life.. he has a dry sense of humor that pops out and a strong sense of ethics.

Turns out he was the inspiration for the Horse Whisperer.. not the actual story but the character's way with horses. He was interviewed by the author and thought nothing much would come of it and suddenly there was the best seller and then the movie rights were sold.

He ended up being a consultant on the film and worked with Robert Redford a lot, was even a double for him in some scenes, and that part is really interesting.. I got it for $1.99 and it is back up to $9.99.

Now back to brain injury.. just starting {The Distracted Yogi: How I reclaimed my bliss after Brain-injury} by M. G. Descagne. I got this for free and it is now $11.88 on kindle!)

Both are even lendable.