TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 04, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: How are you reading it (reading on various devices)?: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 04, 2013 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 5:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Enjoy, Rieann! I have a Kobo. They are a wonderful invention.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 11:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Rieann.. I use the black background on my Kindle Fire, which is HD and close to a laptop I suppose.. brightness down at times and up at others.

Nice way to read and plenty of free/bargain books to be had that are excellent.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 3:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Mame.

Sea, so far I like the sepia background with dimmed lighting. I'll have to try the black background too. I have Amazon Prime, so I have a whole new library at my fingertips. Yikes! As I always say... it's better to have a book addiction than drug addiction.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 28, 2013 - 12:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
After checking out the wonderful honor our own Ladybug received for Call Me Tuesday, I also checked out Eriq LaSalle's book Laws of Depravity. I LOVED ER, and his nominated book is only $3.99 on Kindle. :-)

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Hey ya'll, need some help.

Sis and I bought our first kindles about close to two years ago (think they're the 3rd gen.) Keyboard on the kindle, buttons on the sides to change pages. We've upgraded since then and passed on the kindles.

Middle niece has one of them, which she sent home with me the other day to put some books on. The damn thing is completely frozen. All I've got is the Emily Dickinson screen saver. Looked around online, apparently the only way to reset this one is to slide the power switch over and hold it in position for 30 seconds, then let it go and give it a minute or two and it's supposed to give you a reboot page. If it doesn't work, says to charge it for a half hour and try again. Yeah, we've been doing it for two days and I'm still staring at Emily Dickinson!

I've heard that Amazon is really good about fixing/replacing the kindles if stuff goes wrong, but does that cover the ones you've had for 18-24 months? Or any ideas/options I haven't tried?

For now, I'm going to load up my kindle touch for her and loan it to her until I figure something out about hers. While several of the kidlets have various kindles, middle niece is the only one who uses hers to actually read books. She's a big reader and loves her kindle. If I can't get this one working right, I'll probably buy her a new one for her birthday or Christmas, but I'd rather not unless I had to.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'd try an online chat with an Amazon rep. They've been very helpful for me in the past. I don't know about replacing a K3 (if they still make them?), but I bet they can either help you get it going again or would refurbish it if you sent it in.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 8:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Depends if you bought an extended warranty.. BUT, anything is worth a try with them.. try to get a KINDLE CSR and then hope if they cannot get it going that they will at least give you a voucher you can use on Amazon which might pay for part of a new Kindle.. there are some really low priced ones now with fabulous screens, light and adorable (not that I have one but I've seen them.. me I have the biggest Fire and have on order the new biggest Fire (but it will actually be lighter!)

I've heard of people getting some money off even with Kindle 1 s that die.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 1:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Has anyone been using, or heard of Oysterbooks.com? Supposed to be like Netflix, except for books. Costs $9.95 a month to read unlimited books.

Two things I'm hesitant about...it only works with Iphones, Ipads, and Ipod touches (5th gen.) and says they have "Over 100,000" titles. #1 while I do have a kindle app on my ipod touch and will use it (usually sync with my kindle so I can just continue reading my book while I'm at the bank or the drs office and can just slip my ipod in my pocket) it's really not ideal for me to read on. The text is a bit too small. And #2 100,000 (or over) titles seems kinda small, ya know? I'm wondering just how limited some of their categories are and while looking around the website I notice they only show a handful of titles for each category. Without signing up for their free month, I can't figure out how to search out more titles to see what they have.

While I don't read much on my ipod, Darren has been reading on his much more than on his kindle lately. In fact, on his recent business trip, he left the kindle home and only took the ipod. He reads almost as much as I do, so something like this could save some money for us.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I haven't heard of that website. I use bookbub.com and have downloaded enough free books to last me for years. Seriously.

Kattatude

04-28-2005

Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kattatude a private message Print Post    
Hopefully someone can help me. I have a Kindle Fire HD. I am constantly hearing what I assume might be alert signals. Anyone know what the sounds are and if they are alerting me about something? These sounds are quite annoying because they happen so often. I feel like such a dummy!

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Kattatude, I'm not sure if this is different in the Fire HD (I have a Fire), but if you go into Settings, then Notification Sounds, you can pick a sound or choose Silent. Hope this helps!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Kattatude, I have a Fire HD and I don't have any kind of alerting sounds.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 10:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mamie, maybe you don't have any apps that have alerts or you just have alert sounds down, or you have sound down in general.

The Original Fire and the HD Fire definitely support alerts and I'm sure the HDX will as well

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 10:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
On my HD 8.9" Under Sounds & Display there is

Volume.

There is also a Mute All Notifications option

and a bunch of choices for Notification Sounds as well.

Kattatude

04-28-2005

Friday, October 25, 2013 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kattatude a private message Print Post    
Thanks guys! I just muted the notifications.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And in discussion on kboards currently about the same subject.. from those who already have the 7" HDX, the feature to mute notification sound is now called "Quiet Time"

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 11:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Roxip, thanks for your recommendation of bookbub.com - I'm stocking up on lots of free Kindle books!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
KINDLE DEAL TODAY Dec. 3: The Goldfinch for $2.99. (Sorry - I thought I'd posted it here, but it was in another thread!)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 10:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL, that was the thread for it..

I thought you got a new kindle or fire ..

I think I bought that one this morning, and I just checked and I did.. I had seen your post yesterday and then there it was on sale.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 10:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Actually, it was Dovez who recommended it but nice to see another mention.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 11:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I nabbed it too as I finally have a Kindle now. :-)

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 9:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
My husband bought me a Kindle Fire in May for our anniversary but it pretty much was only used for playing Tetris until I figured out how to borrow library books - oh my, what a world this has opened up to me! I hate going to the library anymore (used to love it) since I never have time with work, family and home and it always stressed me out knowing I had to get the book/cd, etc back on time...but e-borrowing is cool! I'm on my 12th book in a month and love, love, love it!!!

I've bought a few books via Amazon that I want to keep in my collection, but I'm really enjoying reading again.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Rieann and Scotchbright, congratulations on your new Kindles! Be sure to check out Roxip's recommendation above, bookbub.com. You choose the genre of books you are interested in, and they send you a daily email with free and low-cost books that you may like.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I get a couple emails a day with free/lower priced books, plus check at kboards.com where sometimes good deals are listed (plus Betsy posts the free app of the day, but she does wonderful reviews and sometimes when the free app is a dud, she posts alternative free apps).

I certainly have more books now for Kindle than I could read for the rest of my life (sad, but true) and continue to add books all the time.

Anyway, there is much to enjoy on Kindle for sure