TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 05, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 05, 2014 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, December 27, 2013 - 11:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
And I am also reading the new Chevy Stevens' book, That Night. It doesn't come out until June but I got an advance copy from Bookreporter and I have to send them what I think so I am reading it now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 27, 2013 - 11:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Now that I'm home.. the book I'm reading isSome Assembly Required: A Journal of My Son's First Son by Anne Lamott and Sam Lamott.

I enjoyed Operating Instructions, which she wrote about Sam's first year.. long time ago.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, December 28, 2013 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We are Water was excellent. I'm about half-way through The Goldfinch, and while I'm enjoying it as well, it is KILLING me to read what's happening to the narrator in his teen years. Reminds me too much of some of my own students who have such potential but not the home support necessary to do something WITH that potential.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I finished The Goldfinch today, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Parts of it I loved, other parts made me want to buy the author a period instead of a comma, and yet other parts made me wonder if anything remotely good was ever going to happen in this novel.

Tomorrow will be 22 school essays to read, and then I think I'll start in on The Cole Trilogy by Noah Gordon (hoping I can get all three read this week before school starts!).

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
In the middle of Divergent by Veronica Roth - excellent! Fast read - teen series.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished my 162nd book of the year before midnight last night, Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. Loved it! It's not your usual run-of-the-mill teen love story.

I am now reading Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter and The Art of Falling by Kathryn Craft.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 8:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Some Assembly Required on Kindle and Horse Heaven in paper.. and now reading on paper, Ethics for the New Millennium by the Dalai Lama and on Kindle, The Waiting Room by Piper Punches..

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Mamie - I read that this fall after hearing it was under a "ban" push in a high school. I enjoyed it as well. :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 7:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I've read it as well. I can't believe they wanted this banned. Don't they want kids to read?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
They want kids to read saccharine fairy tales.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 11:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I've heard a lot of great things about The Rosie Project and just found the Kindle book for 1.99 on Amazon!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Mamie. I just nabbed it.

Congratulations on 162 books for the year!!

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 3:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I was in about 6 pages on The Interestings but the book was just too coarse and dirty for my taste.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
162 books for the year MAMIE!!!!

Very impressive~

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, January 03, 2014 - 8:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I feel like such a slug! I only managed to read 59 in 2013.

Recent books I finished included Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan. Very funny, fast paced and an excellent debut by Mr. Kwan. I had to wait two months for my turn to come up at the library!

Then I read This Town: Two Parties and a Funeral--plus plenty of valet parking!--in America's Gilded Capital" by Mark Leibovich. A bit uneven but the subject matter (dishy gossip about the D.C. hoi-polloi) was entertaining throughout.

Last week I finished While We Were Watching Downtown Abbey by Wendy Wax, which I finally got my hands on after having it recommended to me months ago by Mameblanche (who had it recommended by Beachcomber). I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. It had a bit too many characters (which left some of them a little too thinly developed), but I overall enjoyed it, especially Hunter, the story's resident villian. Don't forget the premiere of Season 4 arrives on Sunday night!

I'm now thoroughly engrossed in Game Change - Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin. I know I'm way late to the party on this one, but reading the Leibovich book about D.C. reminded me that I'd never gotten around to this utterly delicious chronicling of the 2008 U.S. election!

Happy New Year everyone! I hope all the books you read this year -- at the very least -- are utterly delicious too!

Jmm

08-15-2002

Friday, January 03, 2014 - 10:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
If any of you have read and enjoyed Ladybug's new book, Call Me Cockroach, she sure could use a couple of positive reviews on Amazon.com. It's had great reviews until she got slammed by one today and unfortunately when a book is this new sometimes one bad review will cause people not to even try it. Thank you, my friends.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I've got it on my Kindle, so I'll see what I can do tonight. :-)

Jmm

08-15-2002

Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Teach.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 10:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Ladybug - you did it again. You wrote a book that I read in one sitting, and in your matter-of-fact, the good, the bad, and the ugly manner, you showed us how survivors survive. It isn't always peaches and unicorns, but it is possible. I am so glad you wrote this follow-up to Call Me Tuesday. So often, I think we assume if an abused child is able to "get out alive," the story ends. Hah! You said it so well in the final bit - unfortunately, some turn to alcohol or drugs while some perpetuate the abuse, but even those who look and act "normal" carry scars. Thank you for sharing your story, and thank you for reminding us to care about others' stories and to consider the person they are inside as well as on the outside.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 8:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Just finished Doctor Sleep by Stephen King and I had to keep reading til it finished--I couldnt put it down.
http://www.stephenking.com/library/novel/doctor_sleep.html

Jmm

08-15-2002

Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 8:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I know, I did the same thing, Teach. I read both of her books pretty much without putting them down except to finally go to sleep and then was up and reading again the next morning.

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
Mamie - you have inspired me! Started a list for the books I have read this year - hope I have an impressive number by Dec 31 st

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am so glad! I've been doing it for a couple of years now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 2:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Hmm.. I have no idea how many books I read last year and I know I had some really slow reads in there and got distracted with apps/games at times..

I finished The Waiting Room, which was mixed.. it really had promise but I think needed better editing in terms of some grammatical errors and just some tightening up (not that it is a long book).. but not a run of the mill book.

Starting Wally Lamb's We Are Water. Still reading the Dalai Lama's book and there are some simple (oh but we need to learn them, practice them) pearls of wisdom. He is one of the people I would have on my very short list of who I'd love to meet.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It seems that I read 70 books last year.. I just went through this thread starting at the beginning of 2013.. wow.. lots of books discussed and I think I kept good track but Katniss was pulling her "terrible two" attention seeking behavior which had me up and down from my chair several times. She is really pushing it. Yesterday I finally scooped her up (actually, I hauled her up as she is too heavy and resistant to scoop) and up the stairs and gave her a time out in my bedroom.. which actually did break the cycle. I went up a bit later and she was in her window perch and behaved pretty well the rest of the day.