TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 27, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 27, 2013 users admin

Jasper

09-14-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2013 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I'm almost finished listening to The Woods by Harlan Coben. It has been a really good read. Not a Myron Bolitar book, but a Paul Copeland book.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, December 12, 2013 - 9:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I cheated; I've started Sycamore Row, Grisham's latest that revisits the Jake Brigance three years after A Time to Kill. Those rough draft narratives are knocking on my door, too, along with the final exams of my dual-enrollment class. I'll sneak a few pages of FUN here and there to break up the school stuff. :-)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, December 16, 2013 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Just read one of the BEST BOOKS EVER:
Like Water For Elephants, by Sara Gruen.
I know others here have raved about it
(and the film), but I couldn't bring myself
to deal with it because it deals with animal
cruelty, (as well as a triangle-love story),
and I thought it would be too grim for me.
But I took a chance and bought it,
and was gripped right from the start.
One of the most original writers I've
come across in a very long time.
It was spectacular and added to my
'favourite books' shelf.
Plus I can't wait to get my mitts on her other books.
12 out of 10 stars!

On my screen this thread is HUMOUNGOUS,
so I've tried to post this in a more readable way.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, December 16, 2013 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Water for Elephants made me gasp at the end. Good book.

I just finished And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. I love his writing but this should have been considered more of a book of short stories than a novel. It had a weird flow to it.

I am reading The First Phone Call from Heaven by Mitch Albom now.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, December 16, 2013 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I bought a raft of books lately with all the deals at Indigo and Kobo, both paper and ebook so my reading for the next little while is good to go. :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, December 16, 2013 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Mame - another book that captured me like Water for Elephants was Night Circus. It does NOT have anything to do with animals, but the writing is absolutely enchanting. I read it in about two days - while working full time! :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, December 16, 2013 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I removed the long LINK..

Water for Elephants was good

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, December 16, 2013 - 6:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I loved The Night Circus.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, December 16, 2013 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Has anyone read anything else by Sara Gruen? Is it as good as WFE?

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 5:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Mame...I haven't read any other books by Sara Gruen.

My book club choice this month is "The Cat Who Came for Christmas" by Cleveland Amory. It is an absolutely enjoyable book. The author has a wonderful way with words.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I read two more by Sara Gruen; Riding Lessons, which was okay for me and Ape House, which I loved.

Iheartkaysar

08-16-2005

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 6:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iheartkaysar a private message Print Post    
I also loved Night Circus. Very creative and compelling.

I just finished Worst.Person.Ever. by Douglas Coupland. Hilarious! Has anyone else read it?

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I'm not familiar with Coupland's work, but I love that title! I did the ol' Google thing on him and liked what I found. Sadly, Worst.Person.Ever won't be published in the U.S. until next April. (!) I just found a copy of his first novel, Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture at my local library, so I'll start with that until W.P.E. arrives on our shores. (The reviews I read on Amazon and on Good Reads support your review of how funny it's supposed to be.)

Finished League of Denial and loved it, despite how depressing it was. Very much worth reading, especially if you're a devoted fan of the NFL as I am.

I then read Too Close to Home by Linwood Barclay and loved it, loved it, loved it. (I don't think the guy can do any wrong whatsoever.)

Next came Until I Say Goodbye: My Year of Living with Joy by Susan Spencer-Wendel. It's a stunning achievement, especially because she wrote the majority of it on her iPhone with just her right thumb! Amazing! I recommend it highly.

I'm now reading Sleepless in Hollywood: Tales from the New Abnormal in the Movie Business by Lynda Obst. She chronicles how much the film business has evolved over the past five years and how the emerging markets of Russia, India and China have shaped how today's major studio films get made.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I loved that Cleveland Amory book!!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 8:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I've also loved Cleveland Amory's books.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 10:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mamie. :-)

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I'm reading League of Denial... as UncleRicky stated, it is riveting.

Cleveland Amory's Polar Bear trilogy (The Cat Who Came for Christmas) are some of my all time favorites... I think I need to dust them off and re-read.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 9:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have been reading two long books.. still reading Horse Heaven on paper mostly in the bathroom.. and just finished Dearie a long and interesting bio of Julia Child.

So I'm starting a short memoir, The Three Kitties that Saved My Life by Michael Meyer.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 11:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I finished Sycamore Row a couple of days ago; it was an enjoyable read. Now I'm on to Wally Lamb's We are Water. I'm also listening to Ken Follet's Triple. YAY for time without papers! :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 12:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh that reminds me I have a Wally Lamb I bought recently.. I buy so many books they tend to get lost. I'm about to start a Barbara Kingsolver book, Flight Behavior. Finished that short book, which was just okay.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 7:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I started Innocence by Dean Koontz and am finding it very enjoyable!
http://www.deankoontz.com/innocence/

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 8:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished the Sevenwaters series of books by Juliet Marillier. There are six of them. They are all very good. The first one starts out with the premise of the fairy tale about the brothers who get turned into swans by an evil witch and their sister who has to make shirts for all of them out of a material who burns and ruins her hands. It may be a Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale. I remember reading the original story many years ago, as a kid. Of course, she expands on it greatly, and the following books deal with the children, and such. They are really very good.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 12:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
A rare day, when I was able to sit and read, not the paper, not online, not a magazine.. so I started late last night but mostly today I read and just now finished Barbara Kingsolver's Flight Behavior. As usual I started out not loving the characters much, but was drawn way into the book..

Next book: Wild: (From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed. I resisted this book for quite awhile because it was too expensive but then finally snagged it when there was a quick price drop.. I think I paid $2.99. The price is now $9.06 and was originally higher. So back out on the virtual hiking trail I go.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 27, 2013 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Read all of Wild.. long day and still waiting for pt having surgery.

Starting Anne Lamott's book co-authored with her son.. about his son's first year..

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, December 27, 2013 - 11:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am reading An Unexpected Grace by Kristin von Kreisler. It's the story about a woman who is injured in an office shooting, who's deathly afraid of dogs, who finds redemption with a rescued golden retriever.