TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 08, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 08, 2013 users admin

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, all! Good suggestions, Sea!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 11:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Between the Lines and I guess it was a cute story and fun for mom and daughter to write but I feel like I've encountered that plot before. I paid $1.99 but this short book is back up to I think $7.99. I like Jodi Picoult but I think all of her kindle prices are pretty high.

Uncle Ricky, that was a find. Elizabeth Smart is a remarkable young woman. I haven't read her book but would like to in time.

My next book on Kindle will be Small as an Elephant.

Still reading Revenge of my dead tree books.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, November 22, 2013 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Curently reading Nora Roberts - The Dark Witch. Just finished Penny Marshall's bio - My Mother Was Nuts

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, November 22, 2013 - 1:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished Between the Lines and it was okay.

I am reading Morning Glory by Sarah Jio and The Little Friend by Donna Tartt.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, November 22, 2013 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Sea, her book is definitely worth reading. I finished it yesterday and was so moved by it that I immediately went to the Elizabeth Smart Foundation website and made a donation! Her (mental/emotional) strength had to have been superhuman. I'm just awestruck about how she survived - I hope the lunatic who kidnapped her NEVER, EVER gets out of prison.

I'm now reading The Summer of Naked Swim Parties by Jessica Anya Blau, her debut novel. I read her latest (3rd) book earlier this year and enjoyed it enough to check out her first one -- it, fortunately, is making me laugh a lot.

Scout

01-19-2005

Friday, November 22, 2013 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Uncle_ricky - I agree about Elizabeth Smart's book. It's really hard to read, and yet really inspirational. How she survived all that and then came back and rebuilt her life was truly amazing. She does have a tremendous strength.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, November 22, 2013 - 10:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I've certainly known strong survivors of abuse and torture but Elizabeth is really a triumph and I celebrate her ability to move on in her life and have the best revenge, AND to write about it for others to process.

I finished Revenge, which took a long route to a satisfying ending (true story so no problem with plot.. it really happened that way.

Starting for my paper book.. uhh.. I forget.. something about Living Backwards.. I'll check later. So far it is rather strange.

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 1:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I just finished "Coreography - A Memoir" by Corey Feldman. I honestly didn't expect much, but it was really quite interesting and well-written.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That book is The Effect of Living Backwards.. strange book but moving along..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished that book in paper, by Heidi Julavits.. and strange.. but also, for me, unlikeable.

Next in paper is Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley.. great big book.

And on Kindle, finished Small as an Elephant, by Jennifer Richard Jacobson, which was pretty good, then I read March into My Heart: A Memoir of Mothers, Daughters and Adooption, by Patty Lazarus.. a woman who had two boys but wanted a girl and their story of adoption.. it was okay.. I did get it when it was free.

Now starting on Kindle, Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child by Bob Spitz. }

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I loved Horse Heaven, Sea, so I hope you enjoy it as well.

Finished Running Blind - a Jack Reacher novel - and am about 4 hours of listening away from finishing The Quest by Nelson DeMille. I've enjoyed both of them, largely because they do NOT require me to grade the writing! LOL

Next up will be Wally Lamb's We are Water. I'm looking forward to total and complete freedom of reading over Christmas break. I should have NO essays to grade, and only one new syllabus to create for the dual enrollment lit. class. WOOHOO for days and days of reading time!!!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, December 02, 2013 - 6:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished (and really enjoyed) The Summer of Naked Swim Parties - for someone who set out to write only a short story (and expanded it to a novel at the suggestion of her writing group), it was an excellent debut.

I don't remember what possessed me to read The Execution of Noa P. Singleton by Elizabeth Silver, but I regret doing so as it was wildly uneven. I would recommend it to no one!

I next read Linwood Barclay's first stand-alone novel (No Time for Goodbye) and absolutely loved it. I read it in one day (can't remember the last time I did that!).

I'm 100 pages into League of Denial - The NFL, Concussions, and the Battle for Truth by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Steve Fainaru and it is utterly riveting. As a loyal fan of the NFL these past 45 years, and as each chapter goes by, I'm getting more and more depressed (and angry) over how the league has ignored keeping their players safe.

Dovez

08-27-2005

Monday, December 02, 2013 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dovez a private message Print Post    
finished "the goldfinch" by donna tratt and cannot praise it enough.
it takes a well-written book to get my attention and this was certainly one to fill the bill.
i've started "the luminaries" which won the booker prize recently and, again, the writing is so brilliantly unique that i can't put the book down.
i highly recommend both.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I recently got 'The Luminaries'. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it, Dovez. I'm anxious to start it.

Right now I am entrenched in Michael Fowler's suspense novels about DS Hunter Kerr. I started the latest - Secrets of the Dead and was enjoying it so much I decided to put it down and go for the backstory in the first two novels - Heart of the Demon and Cold Death. Lol! I guess I found a winning series, huh?

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 3:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
Finished The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher. Loved it! Anyone else read it?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 9:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Years ago and I did love it! I loved other books she wrote too.

By the way, anyone who missed the $2.99 deal on The Goldfinch, today it is $1.79 through BookGorilla (Thanks to JMM for posting about Book Gorilla)

ETA LINK REMOVED.. THE DEAL IS DONE AND THE LINK WAS LONG..

I think you need that specific link to get the deal.

Dovez

08-27-2005

Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dovez a private message Print Post    
i also read "the shell seekers" years ago. i'd forgotten how much i enjoyed pilcher's work.
i believe there were other books as well.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
SEA...thanks for that tip on The Goldfinch...just picked it up for $1.79 on Amazon~

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 9:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Wonder if they do the refund with digital books on Amazon like they do with prices within 30 days...

and since it was a whopping $1.20, I'm pretty sure I won't be worrying about it! LOL

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
They might, but I'm too lazy to check..

Dovez, there were other books and there was one that was just sweet and made me want to go live there. I was hoping she would revisit the people but she passed away.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Friday, December 06, 2013 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I am currently reading After Her by Joyce Maynard. Its very moving in its story of 2 sisters and their complicated relationship with their father and with a serial killer thrown in!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17349250-after-her

Loremma

04-25-2004

Friday, December 06, 2013 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Loremma a private message Print Post    
Teach,
I got a refund from Amazon on my purchase of The Goldfinch. Actually, I got a credit for future purchases so I say just email them.

Dovez

08-27-2005

Friday, December 06, 2013 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dovez a private message Print Post    
Okay the bar has been raised. This is the New York Times hundred notable books of 2013 and the 10 best of 2013:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/books/review/the-10-best-books-of-2013.html?nl=books&emc=edit_bk_20131206

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/08/books/review/100-notable-books-of-2013.html?nl=books&emc=edit_bk_20131206&_r=0

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I read Life After Life and it was okay. Not one of my favorites this year.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 9:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished Pearl Buck's A Pavilion of Women today. I haven't read one of her stories in a long time, so it was enjoyable.

This week will be devoted to research papers, but next weekend I start reading for fun. :-)