TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 18, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 18, 2013 users admin

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
It looks like Ms. Cain is straying for the Archie/Gretchen series to write a new book, One Kick, due out next summer and NBC has already scooped it up. Here's the link with all the details, announced earlier today:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/nbc-adapting-new-chelsea-cain-book-series-with-matt-lopez-sara-colleton/

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 3:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am reading Tim Conway's book What's So Funny and Joshilyn Jackson's book Someone Else's Love Story.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
In paper, finished E. Lynn Harris' novel and pulled out Maeve Binchy's Quinton's (sp) to read.

On Kindle, finished I Am Malala. Wow.. and read Fancy Feet: turning my tragedy into hope by Heidi Cave.. young woman in a car crash, became double amputee, is now a mom of two. Lives in British Columbia and I suspect many of the places are familiar to Karen and Donners. I'm reading her entire blog, which dates back to 2008.. I'm into 2012 now.

Next Kindle book: After Visiting Friends: a son's story by Michael Hainey.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier last night, and just started the third book in the trilogy, Child of the Prophecy. They have all been pretty good so far.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I was a tiny bit disappointed with Let Me Go, but only because there wasn't enough Gretchen in it for me. Still worth reading, though.

I next read I'm Just Sayin'! Three Deaths, Seven Husbands, and a Clone! My Life as a Daytime Diva by 4-time Best Actress Emmy winner Kim Zimmer. Back in the '80s/'90s, I was a huge GL fan, primarily because of her. Her memoir was just okay -- I was most impressed by how candidly she spoke about her arrest for drunk driving.

I'm a little late to the party, but I'm now immersed in The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, mostly because the studio I work for is releasing the film version of it this weekend. I try to read the book before I see the film adaptation. So far so good.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

Popping in to say Happy Birthday Mamie!!! :-)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
(I'll be back later to post about my own recent reading exploits.)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 6:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mame There were Amazon cards for presents.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    

Dovez

08-27-2005

Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 9:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dovez a private message Print Post    
thought i'd drop in to highly recommend "the goldfinch" by donna tartt.
it was reviewed on the nyt and i downloaded it immediately and began to read. didn't put it down til finished.

beginning one of the booker prize works today but can't decide which one.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 11:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished the Maeve Binchy book and have started Revenge by Lauren Hillenberg (I think).. her father was shot while visiting Israel, and the bullet just grazed his head but the intent was to kill him. Years later she wanted revenge, wanted to study revenge in general.. and thus, the book.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I'm currently reading The Bone Key by Les Standiford and listening to Sweet Salt Air by Barbara Delinsky. It's not as good as her other books imo, it drags along.

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I'm currently reading Fannie Flagg's new book, "The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion". I just love her books.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just read a really good book, Lies You Wanted to Hear by James Whitfield Thomson. It's about a couple's relationship, marriage and a subsequent act when they split up. It is written so well and the author is a first time writer at the age of 67.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 10:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Scout - I just saw "The All Girl Filling Station" listed on Amazon and put it on my next to read list. Keep us updated on how you like it.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished The Book Thief during my lunch hour and I was glad to see it end. I was expecting it to be better. Some of the writer's devices were a tiny bit annoying. A sample head-scratcher: "a breakfast colored sky" -- what??? Stuff like this left me very underwhelmed. Anyway, I can understand why the book is so beloved, so I'll limit my negative review to the foregoing comments. I trust the film'll be better!

Tonight I'll dig into These Things Happen by Richard Kramer, which I think is his debut novel. He previously wrote and produced TV shows such as "Thirtysomething" and "My So-Called Life" - I hope this thing is better than The Book Thief

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 8:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Just finished The Theory of Opposites by Allison Winn Scotch. I guess it would be considered chick lit but I loved it. It made me laugh and it was one of those books that you breeze through without even realizing you are towards the end.

Scout

01-19-2005

Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Kappy - I loved Fannie Flagg's new book. I love her characters, and her style of writing. Best book I've read in a long time.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I have my Christmas list made out, and one of the first stops I make is here to get suggestions for the boys in my life! Max is 13, loves to read, and into baseball. Also does anyone know anything about the James Patterson middle school books for him?

Max is 4, going on 5 and crazy about trains. Any suggestions for him?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 2:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the memoir by a writer who tracks down the truth about where his father was when he died (with the love of his life, another woman). It was okay.

Starting Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and her daughter, Samanta Van Leer.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sea, I am reading Between the Lines too.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, November 18, 2013 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished These Things Happen and was very disappointed.I can't believe it was accepted as a full-length novel; it really should've been a short story in The New Yorker.

I was surprised to find a copy in the library of Elizabeth Smart's book My Story. I'm 50 pages into it and it's proving to be much more difficult to read than I thought it would be. Not her writing style, but what she's described thus far (and I've got 250 pages to go til the end). It's a miracle of course that she survived her ordeal - I'm astonished at how eloquently she's able to write about what happened to her.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, November 18, 2013 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
See my posting from the 14th - you guys were so much help last year that I am hoping for a repeat performance!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, November 18, 2013 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
TNT.. remember I have no kids or grandkids or other kids around..

I'd suggest the Parenting section here since I'm sure there are young kids and more young grandkids around.

I don't know anything about the James Patterson books you mentioned.

Does the 13 year old have an e reader like a Kindle paperwhite or a tablet like a Fire?

The cheapest models are pretty low but possibly parents would want to get something like that, then it would just be a matter of giftcards with Amazon for kindle readers and whatever goes with other readers. Nook is still associated with Barnes & Noble though I've heard they may sell off that part.

I don't know much for little kids.. Thomas the Train sounds way too basic for een the younger little guy. But he might like even coffeetable books about trains. Actually kids his age are getting kindle fires now and using them well.

Have you talked to the librarians where you go to the library? Is there a children's library or area? Children's librarian? Usually if you get near a teacher or librarian you will get a ton of ideas.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, November 18, 2013 - 9:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I was wandering through B&N this weekend and saw James Patterson in the children's section. I thought maybe it was a different author than I was thinking of, but checking google, I see it's not. Sorry, TNT, I didn't actually pick them up to check them out, I was shopping for my 10 year old niece. My 13 year old nephew only reads if he has to and not for fun so I'm a little out of it for that age group.

However, Ender's Game is coming out (or already, the movie I mean,) and I know my kids had to read that freshman year. Caleb had just turned 14 (it was a summer read for him) and he really enjoyed that book. I don't know about baseball books for that age group, though.