TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 15, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 15, 2013 users admin

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
However, I did have one teeny tiny issue w/ it...I didn't like the ending, or maybe I should say that I didn't like that I wasn't sure how the story was going to end.(?!) Wondered if any of you who also read it felt that way too?

Oh yeah, Whrlwnd. I definitely felt the same. I didn't expect the ending and I HATED it lol. Anyone remember that scene from Silver Linings Playbook when Brad Cooper's character chucks that Ernest Hemingway book out the window? Yep. I literally wanted to do that. It would have been about as satisfying as the ending to Gone Girl was unsatisfying. In fact I remember saying to a friend that I didn't thing I was the type of person where the end of a book mattered, but this story showed me that apparently I was that type of person. I couldn't believe how angry it made me (no joke lol I get that worked up) and I wish I coul've just memory wiped my brain.

I think for me the toughest part to swallow was
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
that here Amy was always one step ahead of Nick every step of the way and I was excited as the ending drew near because I was thinking "Finally Nick's going to get HER caught and get revenge for what she did to him this whole time!" and then that totally went out the window and Amy ended up conniving one final manipulation of him that was his undoing.
I was so pissed. Like fuming.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 5:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I hated the ending of Gone Girl too...hated it!

But I did just read Dan Brown's "Inferno"...loved it. Action packed and lots of twists and turns.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, September 30, 2013 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finished Death Comes to Pemberley this morning and was very disappointed with the big reveal (which wasn't so big). It'll be interesting to see how the BBC adapts it into a three-part mini-series. They wisely cast the adorable Matthew Rhys as Mr. Darcy.

I'm now reading The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian. It's my first time reading his stuff (this is his 14th novel), mostly because of the subject matter, Bohjalian's first time touching on his Armenian heritage. I married into an Armenian-American family, so I'm curious about how he handles that aspect of the story.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 8:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
My requested "Dragonfly in Amber" on CD's is awaiting me at the library!

Teach - what is the next title in the series?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Voyager is the third one - and it's my favorite! So much humor, so much fun! I'm almost at the end of the sixth one (A Breath of Snow and Ashes) so I'll be easily able to listen to the seventh one before the new book is released early in 2014.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished a really good book of short stories title Stay Up With Me by Tom Barbash.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 9:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Teach! I still can't get over how much fun it was to meet you! I think "Dragonfly" is about 40 hours of CD's, so I don't think I have to rush to order "Voyager!"

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
LOL - probably not! I thoroughly enjoyed our meeting, too, and DH knows that one of our next trips will be to NASHVILLE!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 5:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I just finished a trilogy by Ally Condie. They remind me a bit of Hunger Games, being that it is set a dystopian future, or maybe alternate universe. The titles are Matched, Crossed, and Reached. Pretty good.

I really want to read Stephen King's new one, Doctor Sleep. It will probably have to wait a bit though. Unless someone wants to loan it......

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Finished How To Be a Good Wife by Emma Chapman. I still am unsure how I feel about it. It's one of those books that leaves you wondering what was true and what wasn't.

I am reading a sweet story, All That's Missing by Sarah Sullivan. It's about a boy who lives with his grandfather who suffers from dementia. After his grandfather has a stroke, he takes off to find his grandmother (the mother of his father), who he's never really known.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, October 07, 2013 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished The Sandcastle Girls and enjoyed it, despite the depressing subject matter. I'm inclined to pursue Bohjalian's earlier works.

Today it's back to Linwood Barclay for more Zack Walker adventures (Stone Rain) -- the 4th and final book in the ZW series. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, October 07, 2013 - 9:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finally, finally, finally had time to finish The Angel's Game (Zafon) this weekend. I also read Eleanor and Park, a YA novel I heard of during banned book week. Now I'm back to reading papers (process analysis essays this week), but my fun reading will be Noah Gordon's trilogy, The Physician, Shaman and Matters of Choice.

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
About halfway through Stephen King's "Dr. Sleep". Really enjoying it - picks up where "The Shining" left off and even after all these years, the writing transitions so smoothly into this story that you would think he had written them back to back.

Planning to start Elizabeth Smart's book next. I admire her so much.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
just finished Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow and am now reading Ender in Exile

Very good reads!

Lottaluv

10-16-2004

Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lottaluv a private message Print Post    
I'm reading "Under the Banner of Heaven" Very interesting

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 11, 2013 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh that book is interesting and scary, Lotta! I read it quite some while back, before Warren Jeffs was FINALLY put away, though he is still controlling people from inside prison..

I just realized I haven't updated in here in ages.. need to go read back and forward and then get my list up to date.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 11, 2013 - 8:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I just picked up All That's Missing based on Mamie's rec.. several other tempting ones but not yet.

Dr Sleep is not lendable on Kindle.. I just started it but wonder if I should re-read The Shining first.. been so many years..

So, since the book that took place in Alaska (memoir) and Tragedy in Sedona, I've read:
Hear Through My Ears by Tara Chevrestt. While I learned from it, it could have been better written and organized (I think it was made from a blog).

The Getaway Car by Ann Patchett, which I enjoyed. I usually do like memoirs by writers, about writing and life.

Boy Still Missing by John Searles. It was okay.. was one of the dead tree books I hadn't read and kept thinking I wanted to read before bookcrossing them..

Homesick, Sela Ward's memoir.

First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remember another paper book I wanted to read and I ended up buying two followup books on Kindle, which I still have to read.

Brave and chilling..

Mink River: A Novel, by Brian Davis. I LOVED this book and didn't want it to ever end! I had bought it I think at a little bookstore in Friday Harbor, Washington, on San Juan Island when I was visiting a friend on Orcas Island and we took the ferry over to Friday Harbor.. this book is set in Oregon on the coast.

Just wonderful. Unfortunately the only novel from him at present.

Peasants Come Last by J Larry Brown.. a really sad commentary on what has become of the Peace Corps from someone who was an early volunteer and then returned in a higher level position and was forced out when he didn't cotton to the immense bureaucracy involved. Sargeant Shriver would weep.

Lazy B Sandra Day O'Connor and her brother.. about their life on a working ranch and the history of the ranch and ranching along the Gila River. Hardcover book left to read.

The Reason I Jump: The Voice of a 13 Year Old Boy with Autism by Naoki Higuahida. Seems this is a current Kindle best seller.

Currently reading hardback of Big Russ and Me by Tim Russert.

And on Kindle just started Stephen King's Dr Sleep but may opt to wait on that for a bit.

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 8:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
Dr. Sleep. OMG, OMG, OMG! It is like picking up The Shining, Part 2. Thought I had a copy of The Shining, wanted to check the end of it 'cause I think the ending is the first few pages of Dr. Sleep. Ht I don't! Oh the humanity.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 8:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Currently reading Always Watching by Chevy Stevens. Her stuff is a good read as always.

Listening to Always Something There to Remind Me by Beth Harbison. This is a fun book similar to Sophie Kinsella. It's the second of hers I've listened to.

I also picked up Chelsea Cain's sixth book in her Gretchen Lowell / Archie Sheridan series and a couple of Linwood Barclays. I had a gift cert for Chapters.

As well I have Dragonfly in Amber on the bedside.mi doubt I'll get them reread by her release date but I'm definitely going to reread them all before I start the new one.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I am currently listening to "Dragonfly" on CD's - about 40 hours of listening!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am reading Seven Deadlies by Gigi Levangie for review.

I am also reading The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe by Mary Simses. I wanted something lighter after having read a few heavier books lately.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I've read a few of Stephen King's short stories plus a couple novellas but never any of his novels until now. I'm listening to the audio version of 11/22/63 and so far it's cool, not too much grossness or horror. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into full-blown scary story because I can't handle that.

I'm not that familiar with King's books but have heard that he has something of his own stock company, often using the same towns and including mentions of other stories of his in his books. Like, I think the Low Men, or whatever they were called, in the story Ur may have been the same people (were they people?) as who were after Anthony Hopkins in Hearts in Atlantis. But I don't know if all his books & various series actually take place in one literary universe, if you see what I mean. I was just wondering because the point I'm at in 11/22/63 seems to be alluding to something that happened in It which I didn't read (and won't!) but did see the tv-movie. All I know is there better not be any clowns showing up in this book because I will be out of there faster than abandoning that last awful Twilight book.

He also has a character mention a Shirley Jackson story, saying the people in the story were eaten. I've read that story before because it was in an anthology with a Jorge Luis Borges story I'd long wanted to read. Anyway, the Jackson story creeped me out enough as it was. (I really should have known better than to read it given how badly I was traumatized by another of her works.) But it had never occurred to me that that may have been what happened. So now I'm freaked out even more. Remind me to never read anything by her again.

P.S. I do recommend the Storm Kings book, btw. I think that's the last book I'd mentioned in this thread.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Calamity, I hope someone who has read SK more recently than I, and has finished 11/22/63, comes along to answer. What I want to say is that if SK does stuff like that (mentions something/someone from another of his books) it's more of a brush by...someone hears a story or sees something on the news or briefly meets a character from another book. However, I could be completely wrong and mixing up my authors! It's been a while (a long while) since I've read any SK and I never got to finish 11/22/63.

The past year I've stuck with books that are much shorter than SK's usually are and a lot less complicated because taking care of aunt I don't really have the time to get into much more. Started 11/22/63 and aunt ended up in the hospital for a month scaring us to death and I never got back to that book. Easier to stick to things I'll finish in a day or two (400-500 pages) and know I can finish it.

But, sis and I were just talking about the fact it's been a couple years since either of us read IT and both of us are the same on that one. We tend to read it ever so often and it's about time. I told her to wait til next week...Darren's out of town and there's no way in hell I'm reading {IT} while he's gone! No matter how many times I read that book, the lights will be on for a week and it terrifies me, I love it! Er, but not when I'm alone, lol.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
lol, no clowns in 11/22/63

My husband started reading It to me a long time ago, but I made him quit. too scary for me

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 6:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
`11/22/63 is NOT scary! It has elements of suspense, but it is more science fiction/historical fiction, not a horror book. I LOVED this book, and I refuse to read horror novels or watch horror movies. This one is like The Green Mile - a fabulous stories, some magical/fantasy like elements, and just all around good story telling.