TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 24, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 24, 2013 users admin

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, August 05, 2013 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Has anyone here read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society?

I just ordered it and was curious.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, August 05, 2013 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I did, Rieann. I really liked it.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Monday, August 05, 2013 - 8:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Ditto on Mamie's post. It left me wanting a sequel.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, August 05, 2013 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Yay!! Thanks

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 12:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Double-ditto ;)

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 1:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I rarely like "epistolary" novels, but this one was an exception -loved it!

My Phi Beta Kappa book club has selected Pat Conroy's "The Water is Wide" for our next read. One member has already gone on record as finding it "too racist" - Is anyone here familiar with it? Opinions?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
He encounters entrenched racism inside and outside that community and does his best to combat it within his means as their teacher.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Been awhile since I read it but I think of it as about a place and a time and a rather unique place and group of people and don't remember ever thinking of it as "racist". Did this person elaborate on why it was racist?

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
"Has anyone here read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society?"

Rieann - I read it a few years ago and absolutely loved it. It was such a unique way to tell a story by using letters that are written to and from the characters living on this island.

I just got done with Gone Girl and I'm really disappointed. I had reached a part in the story where I really wanted to know the ending so I stayed up til 4 am to finish it only to find there is no ending to the book. I was SO pissed! It literally felt like the author just stopped writing and they published it any way.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 5:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
My thanks to those who responded to Pat Conroy's "The Water Is Wide." I have lived in the south for over 70 years, but was never brought up to see one race as better than another.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 5:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
The Immortal Life Of Heniretta Lacks, a good read that's was recommended to me here.as of this week, Her family finally gets a say on how her cells are used but they still do not get any money. At least it's something.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 7:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
LC, I loved it. It was recommended a long while ago by someone here.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Currently reading The 13th Hour by Richard Doetsch. About time travel and a man trying to change the fate of his wife!
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6406146-the-13th-hour

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I read The Immortal Life.. quite some time ago.. and it was very good. And sad, infuriating.. I think it was pre-kindle for me.

Lottaluv

10-16-2004

Friday, August 09, 2013 - 6:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lottaluv a private message Print Post    
I just finished "The Storyteller" Loved it which surprised me since it was kind of a historical type book about the Nazis. The author is Jody Picoult. I am now reading another of her books, "The Pact".

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 12:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Revenge Wears Prada. It's okay so far. No Miranda sighting as of yet.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Giving Fever Dream a try. It's by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, who apparently have written a ton of very popular thrillers. I'm reading this one only because my mother-in-law guaranteed I would love it. We'll see.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am reading The Bookstore by Deborah Meyler for review. And I needed to read a true crime story for my reading group so I am starting In the Still of the Night by Ann Rule.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I am almost through with the first book of "The Outlander" series. I had "Dragonfly" checked out for next, but was not able to renew it because it was on hold for someone else!

Guess that will have to wait until I come back from vacation.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Currently reading Kidnapped by Jan Burke. I've never read anything by her and she has a lot. Pretty good book so far, I'd recommend it.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
TNT - did you like it?

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Absolutely, Jasper! I can't wait to get back and in line at the library for the other books in the series. Because I have arthritis in both thumbs holding heavy books can be painful over time, so any like these I elect to listen to on CD's.

Most weeks I spend a minimum of 8-10 hours in the car, so that is a good way to multi-task during that time!

Jasper

09-14-2000

Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Dragonfly is sitting on my bedside table waiting. And they are tomes. I do love audio books but only spend about 5 hrs a week in a car now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 7:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
TNT, many people with arthritis just love kindles. The Paperwhite is so slime and light (I don't have one but I've seen them.) and you can do library books on them as well as get free, cheap and regular priced books as well. And the whole series would not add a bit of weight.

Anyway, lovely that you have a big series to look forward to.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 9:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Yes, Sea! I just love to find an author I like with a large body of work - treasure indeed!

}