TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 16, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 16, 2013 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver, and I am thoroughly enjoying it! Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to read, but I'm almost half-way through.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, July 08, 2013 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I just actually checked out a non-fiction book recommended by a friend. It is called "Here Is Where" and I think I am going to find it fascinating. Have any of you read it?

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, July 08, 2013 - 2:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Teach, I love Barbara Kingsolver's writing! I haven't read Flight Behavior yet. Your second sentence made me chuckle.

Tnt, I have not. It looks like I will be adding two more to my TBR list.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 08, 2013 - 11:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I like Kingsolver's writing.

I'm still on the second Edward book and I already am hoping the author will write a third one. He really gets into the mind of someone with aspergers and OCD.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
A question totally off the topic of books. Does anyone here like Opera? Over the last year hearing things here and there I've found I really enjoy it. For anyone who likes it can you recommend any recording that you loved?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 2:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Have you listened to Mozart's operas?

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
No I haven't, anything in particular ?

I was told as well that some of the movie theatres in TO sometimes have a special night where they show films of operas but I haven't looked into that yet.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Just finished 'While We Were Watching Downton Abbey' by Wendy Wax. Thanks to those who recommended it. One of the most original novels I've read this year. :-)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
That sounds like it might be pretty tasty, Mameblanche - thanks for the positive review. Alas, the L.A. Public Library has but one copy; fortunately I'm #4 in the queue!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Uncle_Ricky, Here's a review of the book from Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15808601-while-we-were-watching-downton-abbey

FROM THE AUTHOR OF TEN BEACH ROAD AND OCEAN BEACH, A NEW NOVEL OF FOUR FRIENDS—AND A SHARED PASSION THAT COULD CHANGE THEIR LIVES.

When the concierge of The Alexander, a historic Atlanta apartment building, invites his fellow residents to join him for weekly screenings of Downton Abbey, four very different people find themselves connecting with the addictive drama, and—even more unexpectedly—with each other…

snip.

I don't want to inadvertently mislead you. It's a good novel, but the ORIGINALITY for me, stems from the subplot of the fact they all watch and discuss Downton Abbey. Otherwise, it's not much different than a Maeve Binchey or a Cathy Kelly novel. Luckily I love their stuff!!! :-)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 5:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Oh, yes, that subplot provided the attraction for me as well. I'm looking forward to reading it! Thanks for the Goodreads excerpt, too.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished a good one called The Mourning Hours. It was about a family who are forever changed when the son's girlfriend goes missing. It was a really good one.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Mamie, how was the Yohnalassee book? I was waiting to hear your opinion before I made a decision about it.

Mameb, you may like Wendy's other books also. I am reading her 10 Beach Road right now. It has a Bernie Madoff-like victims/HGTV rehab premise that is quite entertaining so far (I am about 40% through it). She has a sequel out to it now and I think it is called Beach Road or something like that. I like how she taps into current events and hot shows and weaves a story around it.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished McEwan's Sweet Tooth and was very surprised that I ended up enjoying it as much as I did. Halfway through I was struggling to keep my interest level high, but the final chapters were marvelous and made me glad I stuck with it.

Slowly working my way through all the novels by P.D. James -- next up is A Taste of Death.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Beach, it was okay. I didn't feel it was as good as a lot of the reviews I'd read about it.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mamie, that saves me wasted $$

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
What is the first book of the Outlander series? I have finally decided to tackle it!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 7:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Tntitanfan,

This is the order:
Outlander
Dragonfly in Amber (but it will NOT seem correct at the beginning- big jump in time)
Voyager
Drums of Autumn
The Fiery Cross
A Breath of Snow and Ashes
An Echo in the Bone
Written in My Heart's Own Blood (coming out next March)

I'm starting on a re-read of the final two in anticipation of the new release. I hope you'll love them - Gabaldon is such an intelligent writer, and her humor is fantastic. I also very much like that the woman saves the man as often as he saves her. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Edward Adrift and already mourning the loss of that character (not that he died in the book! and high hopes that the author will write a third in this series). Just so endearing, honest, quirky and quite full of wisdom from what he's learned.. LOVED the books, loved Edward.

Next, The Reading Promise: My Father and the books We Shared by Alice Ozma.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Friday, July 12, 2013 - 6:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thank you, Teach!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, July 12, 2013 - 8:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Beachcomber, I started reading Ten Beach Road last night. I'm really enjoying it so far. The second book is titled Ocean Beach. I have that one too. I think I actually won a copy. I need to read a beach book for my book this month in a book club I am in and I've had both on my shelf forever.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Friday, July 12, 2013 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Glad you are liking it too. I usually read a few chapters before I doze off at night and DH has been fussy since I started Ten Beach Road because I don't want to put it down after a few chapters. I am planning on doing a massive reading marathon this weekend since it will be a lazy rainy weekend and enjoy both books!}

Jasper

09-14-2000

Friday, July 12, 2013 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Teach/TNT I'm starting at the beginning again as well in anticipation of her new book. I'm looking forward to visiting with Jamie and Claire again.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, July 12, 2013 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
:-) I listen in the morning while getting ready, so it's a fabulous way to start a day!

I'm still half-way through Flight Behavior. Working 8 days in a row put a true damper on my reading time!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 6:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I'm listening to 'A Discovery of Witches' by Deborah Harkness. Demons, witches, and vampires aren't my usual cup of tea, but I'm giving this a try. :-)