TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 07, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 07, 2013 users admin

Mak1

08-11-2002

Friday, June 28, 2013 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Jasper, after one of the long passages about Innis, I was a little disappointed to go back to the wedding story. I looked ahead to make sure there would be more of the sub story.

I'm about to begin The Jury by Steve Martini. It's one of a dozen I picked up in a thrift store sale. I just noticed it is a series, and this isn't the first of that series. I hate when that happens.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Friday, June 28, 2013 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Mak - I always try to get series books in the right order too! I love to find an author with a body of work that I can "arrange" and read through - I often find myself as interested im the "back story" as I am in each book!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 1:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I have the Carroll book and "Ella" and "A Wedding" all on order from my library -

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 7:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Tnt, "A Wedding" had some interesting themes but may not be your cup of tea. The main story is about a group of high school friends who come together for a wedding 27 years later with all the rekindled feelings and secrets that entails. The sub story was about the Halifax Explosion of 1917, which I had never heard about. Knowing that you prefer non-fiction, I think a book about the explosion and aftermath would be more interesting for you. I'm going to look for one when I get a chance. If you do get the book and don't like the main story, it is easy to just find the sub story parts, as they are indented differently.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I had to put down Sweet Salt Air. I just wasn't feeling it.

I started We Are All Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler and really liking it. It's a story told from the middle, that's what the narrator says and it's working, about a family that raised a chimp as one of their own kids. Something happened and they moved and the chimp didn't. I can't wait to get to the bottom of it all.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Mamie - too bad about Sweet Salt Air, I have enjoyed all her books that I have come across. Haven't read this one yet. I read your review and look forward to reading the new Chevy Stevens.

Mak - I think TNT rarely reads Non-fiction. If you are Canadian we were taught about the Halifax explosion in school so I was familiar with that event in history. I really have enjoyed that portion of the book the most.

Sea - With your taste in reading material I knew right off the bat you meant Gail's book!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
You are right, Jasper - very little non-fiction is enough for me!

An interesting fact that I stumbled across some time back in a mystery that I was reading was the fact that there was regular dirigible service between Europe, New York, and Brazil. I did get interested enough to find a non-fiction book about that, so I am not completely a fluffball!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think Gal and I are the non fiction mavens.. not the only ones, of course.

I finished The End of Your Life Book Club. Fine book.. quite a mother and family and they sure made the most of her time after her diagnosis.

And now.. a fiction book I had pre-ordered because I had read the first book and then the short prequel to that first book. First book is child being kidnapped later found after two years with a couple.. the prequel explains the whys of that action. And now just starting the book with the kid back home and frankly still not liking her mom one bit. And she's the narrator.. hoping she will mellow.

Steena Holmes, Emma's Secret: A Novel

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just ordered that sequel, Sea. I still haven't read the first one yet.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Oops, I had Sea's and Tnt's reading tastes mixed up. Tnt, you may very well like the book after all. LOL!

Jasper, I live in Maine but don't recall ever hearing about the Halifax explosion. We learned very little Canadian history in school. Isn't that strange? All of my great-grandparents were Canadian.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I rarely read any non-fiction either. I do have a biography sitting in my pile of books as well, a first for me for a long long time! I like a good mystery with a side of fluff in between.

Funny about that Mak that they don't teach much about their closest neighbours. It was a devastating event. I did read a book not long ago that took place during WWII in Canada and GB. It was a mix of fiction and non fiction that had a lot of info in it regarding the St Lawrence and the anti-sub action along with U boat events off the east coast of Canada. Interested me enough to look things up a little more.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 9:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I just started reading Lee Child's Persuader. Not my usual type of book at all. But I found it in a room, and thought might as well try it. It reads like an action-adventure movie.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 01, 2013 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mamie, if you don't already own Finding Emma or Dear Jack, both are lendable if you wanted to read them on Kindle and I'd be happy to lend them to you.

She's from Canada, by the way, Steena Holmes..

===

Although I had the Bobbsey Twins and then Nancy Drew and Cherry Ames and that sort of series, my mom started me early on biographies.. and I loved them. Looking back, she provided bios of strong women :-).. Amelia Earhardt, Betsy Ross, etc..

Anyway I do prefer memoir, biography and other non fiction, especially if I'm reading certain subjects.. lots of books about dog behavior, breeding, when I had and bred labs, books that helped with rape crisis counseling, domestic violence, hospice, cancer along with various volunteer gigs.

And real life stuff like hiking or mountain climbing, volucanoes, other countries..

but I've certainly read my share of fiction as well.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, July 01, 2013 - 5:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I LOVE Lee Child! Persuader was the first book of his I read since it was free on Kindle, but I've read many, many more since then. I'm currently starting at the beginning of the series and am up to book 3 so I can read them in order. :-) They're fun, quick reads.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, July 01, 2013 - 5:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finished The Interestings over the weekend and really liked it. I'd never read anything by Meg Wolitzer before and read this one based solely on the positive review that it got in a recent issue of the New Yorker.

Have any of you read any of Wolitzer's earlier stuff? I'd never heard of her and was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the writing -- it reminded me of Franzen's The Corrections and Freedom.

It's time now for some "fun" reading, viz., Lone Wolf by Linwood Barclay, the third Zach Walker thriller.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, July 01, 2013 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I agree with the review of Lee Child's stuff. Though, sadly, after reading the first six Reacher books, I dropped him as soon as I found out that he had ENDORSED the casting choice of Jack Reacher when Hollywood finally got around to filming one of the books last year.

I cannot in good conscience continue reading any of the rest of the Reacher books because I can't get that casting choice out of my head. Those first six Reacher books were delightful and I have no doubt the rest of the books that came after are equally enjoyable. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. Fortunately, there are thousands of other writers to pursue.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, July 01, 2013 - 5:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sea, I have Finding Emma but not Dear Jack. Is that part of the same story?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 01, 2013 - 10:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mamie, yes, it is.. don't want to give away the plot but of course you know Emma is missing, which is why they are Finding.. and Dear Jack is about people involved in that book.. it is the back story and just a novella and I think it is meant to be read second even though the timeframe is earlier.

If you want to borrow.. just wait until you are ready since you just have certain time frame.. of course it is ample time to read a book but you want to be ready to start.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I borrowed Dear Jack.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Emma's Secret quickly. I guess it gave closure on the plot.

Now reading a book I got awhile back, 600 Hours of Edward by Craig Lancaster. Fiction, the story of Edward, who lives with high functioning Asperger's and OCD. I brought this forward when the second book went on sale and I bought that. That will be my next book.. Edward Adrift.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, July 05, 2013 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished Finding Colin Firth by Mia March. I enjoyed it. It has some of the same characters as her other book The Meryl Streep Movie Club.

I am now reading The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls by Anton DiSclafani and Chose the Wrong Guy, Gave Him the Wrong Finger by Beth Harbison. (Great title!)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished the Linwood Barclay (Lone Wolf) and it was good, but not quite as enjoyable as the first two Zack Miller tales. I am now immersed in the latest by Ian McEwan, Sweet Tooth.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 12:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Wow, I really LIKE Edward! Finished 600 Hours of Edward and now starting Edward Adrift.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 7:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I have started reading Always Watching by Chevy Stevens who also wrote Still Missing which I found a fascinating read last year.
So far, so good.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16044953-always-watching

Scout

01-19-2005

Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Just finished Jeannette Wall's new book, "The Silver Star". Didn't like it quite as much as some of her other books, but still a pretty good story.