TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 23, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 23, 2013 users admin

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 8:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I am just about through with Maeve Binchey's last book, 'A Week In Winter". I'm so sorry she's passed away. I've enjoyed her books so much over the years.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading The Ghost by Robert Harris. A ghost writer mysteriously dies and another is hired to complete the book in a month. The book being written is the memoir of a former British prime minister who left office in disgrace. It's very good so far.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
The Name of the Wind

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished The Execution of Noa P. Singleton. It really left me thinking about how much I liked it. It was hard to care for the main character of Noa but then again, it was easy. Hope that makes sense.

I am now reading Spare Change by Bette Lee Crosby. She wrote to me and asked if I would read and review it. It's set in the South, which I love and I am enjoying it.

I am also starting The Widow Waltz by Sally Koslow for review. And I am reading The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared by Alice Ozma. It's about how she and her father decided to read together for 1,000 nights, starting when she was 9 and ending when she was 18.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mamie, that last one piqued my interest, so I just bought it for Kindle and that also led me to The End of Your Life Book Club which also sounded good.. yikes $$ ..

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sea, I really liked The End of Your Life Book Club. It's a wonderful look at a mother and son and how reading was important to them.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
End of Your Life is available through our library, so I have it on hold.

I ever so gratefully finished Diary of a Dieting Madhouse - and when I actually saw the words "big honking diamond" in print, I nearly threw my Kindle. Ugh - such horrible writing!

Forks Over Knives is MUCH better, and I am also listening to Andrew Greeley's The Search for Maggie Ward. Ahhhh....so nice to be back in the land of well-written words!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That sounds so painful, Teach.. (the big honking diamond book).

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 5:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I am about to finish up my long lovely reading of Jane Langton's Homer Kelly mystery series.

I am looking for another writer to focus on so any suggestions are welcome. I prefer someone who has a substantial (6 or more books) body of work and whose books have a good backstory.

I avoid graphic violence unless absolutely necessary to the story.

I have read a lot of mystery authors so please everybody throw out a name or two to help me find a new focus. TVCHer's are the BEST!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 8:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
TNT, I originally discovered Nora Roberts through her generational Stanislaski family romance series.

http://www.examiner.com/article/nora-roberts-101-fact-sheet-on-the-stanislaskis-series

It might be too fluffy for you, not sure. It's part of her earlier works, not as much depth as her more recent stuff, although much more engrossing than the usual romance. I fell in love with that family, and as a result, Nora Roberts became one of my fave authors. I've pretty much read most of her entire repertoire.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Have you read Nelson DeMille's John Spenser books? I also love Andrew Greeley's Nuala Ann series and Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Just finished Time Flies by Claire Cook. It was a blast from my past. The lead character is heading for her high school reunion and she's about my age so it was fun reminiscing about the clothing, music, tv, etc.

I am still reading The Widow Waltz by Sally Koslow and started Accidents Happen by Louise Millar.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 5:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, all! I knew I could count on some excellent suggestions!

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 8:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I have just started reading Joyland by Stephen King and so far it is good.
http://www.horror-movies.ca/2013/06/stephen-kings-joyland-book-review/

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finally finished Blonde - it was a workout, but it held my interest throughout. After lugging it around for two full weeks, I was relieved to take it back to the library.

I am now reading Behind the mask : my double life in baseball by Dave Pallone.

And regarding the mystery writer suggestion, I imagine Tntitanfan has already read all of the Michael Connelly books (can't read just one!). Their deliciousness can't be adequately described. It was announced the other day that Amazon is going to produce a TV show based on the Harry Bosch books:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/amazon-orders-cop-drama-pilot-based-on-michael-connellys-harry-bosch-novels/

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Actually, Uncle ricky, I have not read the Michael Connelly books, but I have him high on my new authors list!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Oh that's wonderful! If you can read them in the order he wrote them, that'll make it even more interesting to see how Harry's life has evolved over the years.

What makes it even more fun for me is that quite a few of the books contain scenes where Harry has to go to either the LAPD's Van Nuys division or the Van Nuys branch of the L.A. County Court system -- both of these are less than a half-mile from my house.

And the library where I check out my books is directly across the lawn from the courthouse. So it's safe to say that Van Nuys residents who read Connelly's stuff get an extra charge out of reading about our little neighborhood!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
How very cool!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 7:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I finished The Night Circus today, and I LOVED it! It is magical, fanciful, suspenseful, and delightfully written! The author is Erin Morgenstern, and I was disappointed to see that this, her first novel, only came out a year ago, so there is nothing else by her for me to read. :-(

I'm finishing up Forks Over Knives, and then I'll be reading The Kite Runner. I know - it's about dang time! LOL

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 7:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I loved The Night Circus. It was all you said it was.

I am reading The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison. It's very Gone Girl-ish.

I am also reading Two Small Footprints in Wet Sand by Anne-Dauphine Julliand.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Friday, June 21, 2013 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Listening to The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella.

Finished Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner. Both easy listening for the car.

I'm almost finished Sitting Practice which was pretty good. Taking awhile because I have been sucked into some pretty good video games at night!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Friday, June 21, 2013 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
The Problem of Pain C>S Lewis

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 21, 2013 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished the book by the Chopra brothers, both doctors.. Deepak and Sanjiv.. very interesting.

Now starting The End of Your Life Book Club

Anntie

09-03-2010

Friday, June 21, 2013 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Reading The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society by Darien Gee.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm done with The Silent Wife. It was not exactly Gone Girl but still a good read.

I am reading Sweet Salt Air by Barbara Delinsky and Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfield.