TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 10, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 10, 2013 users admin

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
The Awkward Age by Henry James.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 2:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Just finished Reconstructing Amelia. It was a page turner and very hard to put down.

Uncle_ricky, I'm next in line for Bad Move at the library. Love what you have written about it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. :-)

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 2:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Started Someday, Someday, Maybe and listening to audiobook of Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Thanks uncle_ricky. They will definitely go on my list. I have read a lot of his books but not the "Bad" series. I'm currently reading his memoir. I have been a big fan of Linwood Barclay since his newspaper days. His column was morning staple for me for a long time.

eta - when it comes to books you can be as long winded as you like. I always like to read everyone's opinions and input. I got a very good feel for the character and books from your description. It just made me want to read them.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Rieann, I'm finishing up Reconstructing Amelia. It's a good one!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the nice feedback, Jasper! I hope you'll share (along with Rieann) your reviews of the early Barclay books! Just this weekend I picked up the 3rd Zack Walker title (Lone Wolf), but it'll be a while before I get to it. Upcoming for me is Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates and it's over 700 pages long. Oh and I'm thoroughly jealous that you got to read Barclay's column in the Toronto newspaper!

Rieann - Thanks for the nice words, too - very kind of you. I "got in line" just now to check out a copy of the McCreight book, but it'll be weeks before I get it. I'm #113 in the queue (with only 21 library copies on hand). That's better than the queue position I started out in while waiting for the latest Michael Connelly - I began in position #985. Even with 200 circulating copies, I still had to wait nearly 3 months before my turn came up!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Austenland ~ I saw this on Oprah's list to read before the movie comes out. It's quick and fun and about a woman (30-ish) who's obsessed with finding a Mr. Darcy in real life.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 27, 2013 - 12:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Confessions of a Prairie Bi tc h and enjoyed it very much.. and enjoyed the author very much.

Now going to re-read Stephen King's Under the Dome, which I read in late 2009, in preparation for the mini-series.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Loved Reconstructing Amelia. You just had no idea where that story was going!

I am reading two books for review right now. The Sassy Belles by Beth Albright and The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau. It's a lot like The Hunger Games. Kids are picked for the testing to go to university but the testing isn't exactly what they think it is when they start out.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I have finished Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay. Really good thriller/mystery!
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13542982-trust-your-eyes

Jasper

09-14-2000

Friday, May 31, 2013 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
ooh I haven't read that on yet Cable.

Starting McNally's Alibi by Lawrence Saunders

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 7:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella. I wanted something light and fun.

And I am also reading Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Just finished Trunk Music, a Harry Bosch novel - and enjoyed the "light" read very much. Now moving on to Diary of a Dieting Madhouse - our library's summer reading challenge is five months long (started in April), and for June we're reading a book with an animal on the cover or one whose character is a vegetarian. Totally outside my normal reading zone, so it should be interesting.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, June 03, 2013 - 7:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Only 10% in to Diary, and I feel like I'm reading a report some kid wrote for a health class and the assignment was, "Teach others about dieting but build it into a story." Ugh...hope it 1) reads fast and 2) gets better!

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 7:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
Taking a stroll down memory lane and reading Shirley Jackson, The Lottery and Other Stories, The Haunting of Hill House, and We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 8:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Life Among the Savages by Shirley Jackson is still one of my favorite books.

Wedding Night was okay. Nothing to write home about. I did really like Walk Me Home.

I started The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay. And Always Watching by Chevy Stevens.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I got that book The Lottery and other Stories. The Lottery has always been one of my favourite short stories. From the first time I read it it just packed a punch.

I'm reading a book called Sitting Practice by Caroline Adderson. It is about a newlywed couple who get in a car accident and she becomes paralysed. Not to far in it just yet.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Mamie - is Always Watching new? And I'm going to look for Life Among the Savages for my KOBO.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Jasper, yes it is. It comes out in a couple of weeks.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 12:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Just finished "Gone Girl" - such a struggle to read as I literally could only stand a half-hour or so of that dreadful woman at a time. Seldom met a character I do disliked!

Now reading "the Innocent" by Harlan Coben - will follow it up with "The Innocent" by David Baldacchi. My book club is reading one or the other but apparently can't decide which!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 1:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Still struggling through Diary of a Dieting Madhouse, so I'm listening to Eberts' autobiography Life Itself. I've also borrowed The Kite Runner, The Night Circus and Forks over Knives for my Kindle, so I'm hoping to get through all of them in the next couple of weeks.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm finally getting into Always Watching. I'm liking it so far.

I also started The Execution of Noa P. Singleton.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Finished "The Innocent." Started "The Deserter" by Jane Langton.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 10, 2013 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Under the Dome and starting Brotherhood: Dharma, Destiny, and the American Dream by Deepak Chopra and Sanjiv Chopra.