TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 15, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 15, 2013 users admin

Lottaluv

10-16-2004

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lottaluv a private message Print Post    
I just finished "Sharp Objects" by Gillian Flynn. I liked her other book "Gone Girl" much better. This was pretty dark.
Now on to "Still Missing".

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading When She Was Gone By Gwendolyn Gross. Good so far.

I am also reading If It's Not One Thing, It's Your Mother by Julia Sweeney. (She is Pat from SNL fame) It's about adopting her daughter and becoming a mother and a family.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Methland, it was okay.

Back to hiking books.. starting with John Illig's Trail Ways, Path Wise: A 2147 mile Through-Hike up the Appalachian Trail.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 1:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Listened to the audiobook of Catch Me by Lisa Gardner and enjoyed it. I didn't have it all figured out by the end of the third chapter, which is always nice. Woman's two best friends are killed a year apart on January 21 and she figures she is next. She isolates, moves to Boston, works as a 911 operator, and starts to learn how to defend herself. Meets a female detective (who just had a late in life baby and is just returning to work) and tells her she wants her to be the one to find her murderer when she is gone. Lots of story lines flying around.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished Julia Sweeney's book and enjoyed it.

I am reading Starting Now by Debbie Macomber. It's a Blossom Street book and I always like those.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Today I started A Dog Named Boo by Lisa J. Edwards. From the cover " How one dog and one woman rescued each other and the lives they transformed along the way". Hope I don't have to cry at the end!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Re-reading all of the Bridgerton family books by Julia Quinn. She just published a book of "2nd epilogues" (short story continuations) for each book (8 of them) and it includes a novella about the matriarch, Violet. Fun to re-visit each story and then read the "extra chapter".

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 11:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the John Illig book and starting on his second book Pacific Dream: A 2657-Mile Through-Hike Up the Pacific Crest Trail and I already bought his third book!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. It's such a strange concept (a baby girl dies at birth but in an alternate world, she lives, and then continues to die and live) It's very interesting.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Bought myself some books for my b'day:

Instant Mom, by Nia Vardalos (the gal who wrote and starred in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.) Nia's going to be doing a book-signing on Wednesday evening at my local bookstore. :-) I will TRY to get to that. Just have to find my receipt. Don't want to pay for it twice. LOL.

Chronicles of Downton Abbey: A New Era

Lucky Me: My Life With--and Without--My Mom, Shirley MacLaine, by Sachi Parker

The Honey Queen, by Cathy Kelly

(I also wanted to get Nora Robert's latest book, Whiskey Beach, but it's not out til next week.)

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Happy Birthday Mame!!

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Mame, I know you love Downton Abbey so you will want to add Wendy Wax's latest book "While We Were Watching Downton Abbey" to your purchases. I am about halfway through and am enjoying it immensely.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Beach, I have that one on my Kindle. I'm happy to know you like it.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Oooh, Beachcomber, I just looked that up and it sounds great. I'm a big DA fan.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Rieann! BC & Mamie, that does look like a fun read. I'll see if I can get it on my KOBO. :-)
http://www.amazon.com/While-Were-Watching-Downton-Abbey/dp/0425263312

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I got it as a galley but haven't gotten to it yet.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Still reading Pacific Dream but quickly read an old book I'm going to release in the wild, I'd love to have seen this updated but the author has since died.

The Greatest Experiment Ever Performed on Women: Exploding the Estrogen Myth by Barbara Seaman.

Sobering, to say the least, since I was on birth control pills when the doses were higher (my SIL was on even higher doses, still got pregnant and developed breast cancer pretty young), and I was on Prempro for 18 months and while I always blame lifestyle for my uterine cancer, maybe not the only factor, hmm..

But what is upsetting is how untested or unproven things really were and yet assumptions of the great goodness of estrogen caused so many docs to really PUSH HRT.

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Sea - that sounds really interesting. I remember my mother being told by her doctor that he wouldn't even continue to see her unless she took the large doses of estrogen during menopause. And how many of her friends took them also, and what a high incidence of breast cancer there was among them.

It's kind of scary how doctors and pharmaceutical companies are continuing to do the same thing in pushing some new drug. Every day there is another lawsuit commercial for a drug that caused some other horrific problem. It seems like they get pushed onto the market long before they have a clue if they are safe.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I was receptive to the hormone replacement because my mom developed osteoporosis rather young, just suddenly cracked ribs when it didn't make sense, so she was on Premarin for a long time, but luckily it was only 18 months and then that study broke and I gradually tapered off it. When I saw my gyn next I mentioned that I was off it and she sort of scolded me for not talking to her first. My take was it is my body and I didn't go off it cold turkey and it was my decision.

I did go on Fosamax and was on it for far longer than they now recommend. But I had my mom's experience and I was osteopoenic myself. I take calcium and D and C and work out.. but at some point my doc and I decided to go half dose and then with more news I tapered off that too (he says that isn't really necessary..) so now I'm just trying to keep working out and do DEXA scans every couple of years. But it is sad to know that Fosamax, Boniva, et al make it look like the bones are dense but the structure isn't really filled in..

With the hormones.. it seems that some influential women who touted it and looked great, well it seems some of them had had face lifts or some also worked out or did more than just the hormones, but they sold women on the miracle of the hormones. And women who were menopausal without the HRT were depicted as witches and harpies.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, April 12, 2013 - 5:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I usually love Harlan Coben's books, but I just couldn't get into his latest Stay Close. It had a great premise, but the story became much too silly for me and I gave up. Maybe I'm just in a funky mood.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, April 12, 2013 - 6:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
OOPS! The book I was referring to above is SIX YEARS. Getting my Coben's mixed up!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Debbie Reynold's new memoir Unsinkable. That woman has a lot of spunk.

I am also reading Amity & Sorrow about a woman and her two daughter who escape from a religious cult.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 10:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Mamie I'm about to start her daughter's memoir! LUCKY ME, My life with, and without, my mom, Shirley MacLaine. By Sachi Parker.

I just finished Instant Mom, by Nia (my big fat greek wedding) Vardalos. I loved it. Laughed and cried. Absolutely wonderful!
:-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I want to read Nia's book. I also have Carol Burnett's new book on the way. I'm expecting lots of tears with that one!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 15, 2013 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Pacific Dream and off to the third book Man in he Middle.