TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 31, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 31, 2013 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 15, 2013 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished This Little Light of Mine: The Inspiring Story of Kevin Triplett by Wayne Triplett. Sad story and pretty amazing how the dad went after researching possible trials and got treatment for his son. However there was a lot of repetition and way too much religion including the kid's essay where he gave his views on gay marriage and other subjects and stated that while god loved us all, only Kevin and his fellow "saved" Christians were going to heaven.

So another hiking story (Pacific Crest Trail) that I thought was non fiction but so far seems to be fiction :-( but I'll read more to see what I think : Hot on the Trail: An Adventure on the PCT by Harly Drum.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Clive Davis' autobiography = boring. No dish, no previously unknown details of any signing, no hating on anyone, no nothing. Clive Davis loves everyone, especially himself.

Do not recommend unless you're TRYING to put yourself to sleep.

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
Jasper - thanks for the recommendation of Catch Me by Lisa Gardner - half way through it - very intriguing!

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Almost finished reading Fear The Worst by Linwood Barclay. Good edge of the seat thriller! This would make a good movie.
http://petrona.typepad.com/petrona/2010/05/book-review-fear-the-worst-by-linwood-barclay.html

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 2:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am reading The Arrivals by Meg Mitchell Moore and Public Apology: In Which a Man Grapples With a Lifetime of Regret, One Incident at a Time by Dave Bry. He's apologizing for a bunch of things in each little chapter. I just finished junior high, where he apologizes to an old camp counselor and some others. Now he's apologizing for some high school indiscretions.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 3:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Reading Guilt by Jonathan Kellerman.

Rvon

12-11-2003

Monday, March 18, 2013 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
I just finished The House at Riverton by Kate Morton, which I enjoyed more than I thought when I first started reading it.

I just started reading Jodi Picoult's new book -- The Storyteller. Friends of mine have read it and have said it is great. I just finished Picoult's last book, Lone Wolf, and was just so-so with it. If my friends had not recommended Picoult's newest book, I probably would have not bothered with it.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, March 18, 2013 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Knightpatti - no problem, it really grabs you. Do pick up Jennifer Hillier or Chelsea Cain as well. You have to read the Cain ones in order though.

Just started Stay Close by Harlan Coben on audio.

I really liked the House at Riverton. I have two of her books sitting waiting to be read. I manned the book sale at our library a couple of times last week, first one on. I came away with about 25 books! My husband looked at me like I had three heads, my bookshelves are groaning! I could have worse habits though.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 7:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Hot on the Trail. It was okay but not what I expected or was wanting to read. About to start West With the Night by Beryl Markham.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished Evidence of Life by Barbara Taylor Sissel. Enjoyable mystery about a woman who's husband and daughter vanish and are presumed dead.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 5:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
I think it was someone on here that recommended Still Missing. Finished the audiobook yesterday and loved it, so thank you. Definitely had some intensity, but was tempered by humor and a reflective narration. (And the person they had reading the audiobook ....great choice!)

Anntie

09-03-2010

Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Currently reading "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes.
About halfway through and enjoying it very much so far. Not your typical romance by any means.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I have an advance copy of that one, Anntie. I got it a long time ago but haven't read it yet. I'm glad that you like it.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, March 22, 2013 - 8:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am reading The Weight of Small Things by Sherri Wood Emmons for review. I really liked her last two books but this one is a bit different, not told in a young girl's voice, and it's okay right now for me, nothing too special.

I am also reading The Long Way Home by Andrew McCarthy.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, March 22, 2013 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yesterday I read FROM ANNA a children's book by legally-blind Canadian Author Jean Little. Her books are so good, and poignant, and for all ages IMHO! Although it's for kids 9-14. I cannot recommend her enough! It's the 2nd book of her's that I've read and I have every intention of reading them all at some point.

http://www.jeanlittle.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=53

From Anna

Novel, Harper, 1972, 201 Pages (e-book 2012)

Anna has always been the clumsy one in the family. Somehow she can never do anything right! She bumps into tables, and she can't read the blackboard at her school. Her perfect brothers and sisters call her "Awkward Anna." When Papa announces that the family is moving from Germany to Canada, Anna's heart sinks. How can she learn English when she can't even read German? Nothing could be worse than this!

But when the Soldens arrive in Canada, Anna learns that there is a reason for her clumsiness. And suddenly, wonderfully, her whole world begins to change.

It's been a difficult week for me, and it really lifted my spirits. I find she writes like a modern-day Louisa May Alcott. That's the best description I can give you.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 5:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Just finished the last Maeve Binchy book It wasn't my favorite as I felt like the characters were a bit too independent of each other and I think there were too many of them, so I didn't feel as involved with them as I would liked to have been. But I am sad that this won't be a series so I can get to know them better...I think I would like them if I "ran into" them again! But even though it wasn't my favorite book of hers, I still loved it. And I really will miss her!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished a wonderful novel titled Life After Life by Jill McCorkle. It's about the Pine Haven Estates in Fulton, North Carolina and the residents who are still very active in their lives and the ones that are dying. It was so respectful to the whole process of dying and the joy of life.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 7:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm still reading the Beryl Markham book, what a life and she was quite a good writer too.

But meantime I started and finished a dead tree book that I plan to book cross.. Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel. Liked it very much.

Mmq1943

02-22-2011

Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 4:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mmq1943 a private message Print Post    
Love all four of Kate Morton's books. My favorite author!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the Beryl Markham memoir.. which some say she may not have written and apparently there is so much more to her story, but still a really interesting book.

Starting a novel, Finding Emma by Steena Holmes.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sea, I think I got Finding Emma for free one day.

I am reading Falling Home by Karen White and Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Ann Fowler.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Friday, March 29, 2013 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Yesitsme - Chevy Stevens has another book Never Knowing.

Just starting The Secret Keeper - Kate Morton

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 29, 2013 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I got Finding Emma cheap.. seems there is a series, which is strange, given the subject, missing child. So far it is okay but mildly annoying at times. Who knows, by the end I may be buying the next in the series.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 29, 2013 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
OK, even though I would love to see a bit more rewriting... too many times the same description would be used more than once in a paragraph, stuff like that, and the plot was pretty obvious to me, but, still kept me reading, though I admit I had the text to speech lady running at double speed.. I bought a novella prequel and pre-ordered the sequel. I did like it being set in Canada, not in your face about it, just various expressions or locations that said Canada.

So, I'll be reading Dear Jack by Steena Holmes. Also reading or skimming a dtb that I want to bookcross out of here, The Last Promise by Richard Paul Evans, who wrote The Christmas Box, which I have not read.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 11:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Dear Jack, short but good I guess and well, the mystery DTB, which was The Last Promise. Romance, far fetched.. did like the setting in Italy.

Now starting Methland: The Death and Life of a Small Town by Nick Reding.