TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 13, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 13, 2013 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 10:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Wow, last night I began reading a novel on my ereader to help me fall asleep. Instead it was one of the most compelling stories I've read in a very long time. I laughed and cried right the the very end, several hours later literally at the crack of dawn. I just loved it. There was so much 'heft' the the story. Each time I though it was the end, there was another bend in the road so to speak. Fabulous. Although the 'destination' was somewhat predictable, the route there was a joy to read.

On The Island by Tracey Garvis Graves. And I just discovered the movie rights were purchased. Not sure where that stands now though.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
"Sunrise on Cedar Key" by Terri DuLong. Knitting, Relationships and a bit of romance.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Another Barbara Delinsky on audio - Suddenly while the story so far is good, I dislike the narrator.

Reading one of Jude Devereaux's Edilean books, a nice fluffy break. I keep perusing my shelves for my next read after this. It always seems like such a treat to pick out my next book!

Anntie

09-03-2010

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Every new book is an adventure Jasper.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Not sure where to put this so this thread wins. LOL

New Bridget Jones book to arrive in November. The currently untitled novel will still be in Jones' voice, but will find her in present-day London in a later stage of life, a statement from the publisher said.

The first book was one of the funniest I have ever read. Second had its moments but had a hard act to follow. It's been a decade so will be interesting to see how this one stacks up.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished a fun one today: Just Like Me, Only Better by Carol Snow. A young mother is asked to stand in for a spoiled, spacey tv star. It was a light, fun read.

I am now reading Schroder by Amity Gaige.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Starting "The Shack" by William P. Young. I was discussing books with a friend and she was surprised that I hadn't read it. Actually I had never heard of it; so I picked it up at the library. It must have circulated often since this copy is quite worn.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 4:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It was quite popular.. I read reviews and realized, even if it was free for a day I'd probably not want to read it, but it was on the best seller lists. Free from the library is great.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'm a bit over 1/3 of the way through DeMille's The Panther. It's on audio, so it'll take me a couple weeks to finish it, but I always enjoy the John Corey books. I've started Zafon's The Angel's Game, but I have the strong suspicion I've read it before. I'm hoping it's just the beginning as I read a LOT of samples, but I remember this one being too expensive to pick up at the time.

Lottaluv

10-16-2004

Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 9:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lottaluv a private message Print Post    
I finished "When She Woke - A Novel". While I loved the premise of the book and about the first 2/3s, I have to say the ending was a bit disappointing.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Finished The Shack. This is a book a normally would never have read, no way, no how. However, strangely I needed to read this book at this time due to circumstances that happened last year. It has given me a new perspective and some peace.

Next up is Still Missing by Chevy Stevens.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 8:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Anntie, how nice that the timing was spot on! You picked it out for a reason, it seems, even if you didn't know that.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, February 08, 2013 - 8:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
For review, I'm reading Little Known Facts by Christine Sneed. It's about a big movie star and how it has effected his family and their lives.

I am also reading Dear Cary: My Life With Cary Grant by Dyan Cannon.

I've packed all my TBR books so I am strictly on the Kindle for now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, February 08, 2013 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Have been on a mission to downsize in terms of books piled in my living room and bedroom and some in the hall outside the bedroom since Katniss arrived and won the battle for space. I have wold released about 46 so far, at the salon I go to, the shelter, restaurants, a gas station, 2 hospitals, a synagogue. I will be at two more hospitals next week, and my doctor's office, where I often release. All through bookcrossing.com.

Still reading Breaking Night, long and well-written, and I don't want to rush it. Not to mention that I've been busy with patients, cats and classes at the shelter..

Maine at least the Kindle keeps you reading until you can unpack the treasure box o books.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I figured that I can put two bookcases in my bedroom and they can hold most of my TBR books at Mom's house. But I do have a ton of books on the Kindle.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Finished Still Missing and liked it very much. I ordered her second book from the library website and preordered her third book which is coming out in June.

Now reading Hurricanes in Paradise by Denise Hildreth.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Breaking Night was not that long, but I made it last as long as possible.. pretty amazing young woman!

Started a book about a young man dx with brain tumor, but kind of skimming parts since I didn't realize it was going to be so much scripture.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Reading "Distant Echoes" a 2005 book by Colleen Coble.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Currently reading Hello, Gorgeous: Becoming Barbra Streisand by William J. Mann. One of the better bios I've read in a while... makes me curious to read some of Mann's other stuff.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 2:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Decisions decisions decisions! I have narrowed my choices down to three (and that was tough, sometimes too many books on hand is not a good thing!) Which should I read: The Imposter Bride by Nancy Richler, The Good Father by Diane Chamberlain or The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay?

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Can't wait to get to the bookstore this weekend to get Maeve Binchy's new book. Have been looking forward to it forever. I would just go ahead and get it on Kindle, but I have all her others as regular books and want to finish out the collection. Her books are the kind I just read over and over again. I'm so sad that this is the last one.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Went with The Good Father. Started listening to The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen in the car but realize I have read it already.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 11:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading The Truth about Love and Lightning by Susan McBride.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Finally finished the Streisand bio by Mann 'Hello Gorgeous'. It's a HUGE book detailing her meteoric rise when she was a teenager to when she was starring on Broadway in Funny Girl just a few short years later.

Although I zipped through the first half of it, I got very bored with all the minutiae and got bogged down in the last half and couldn't wait to finish it. And then at the very end he whipped through the bulk of her life and career in about a paragraph! My head was spinning.

Looking forward to reading a novel after this! :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The book I finished was:
My Cancer my blessing by David Adams.. a sort of unhinged amalgam of scripture and whether people he knows are religious but at the same time airing grievances against his parents and grandmother, even though he later says he understands the strain those people were under since they had to take on not just their own son who had a brain cancer at 23, but suddenly he brought over his recent girlfriend fromo Colombia, she moved in, then they got married almost without warning (they were told it would help her to get a green card, and thus, be able to work, the marriage was sincere), there were tons of bills but they wanted a puppy, which they ended up leaving with the parents when they moved out to be closer to town..

Anyway, skimmed much, read about his treatment. Book is lendable but life is short and the formatting also overrides Kindle controls so you cannot change or resize the font and you have to use white background. LOL.. when I first opened it up it appeared to have blank pages.. I had been reading with a black background and white text. That was easily solved, of course.

Now starting Crossing the Heart of Africa: An Odyssey of Love and Adventure by Julian Smith.