TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 28, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 28, 2013 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
GAL, I'm not too much into it yet. It's fiction but I've heard based on a biography.

Loved Mudbound. I have When She Woke on my TBR pile but I have packed up all my books so it will be what's on my Kindle for a while. I am reading one huge book, The Burn Palace for review. Stephen King loved it so I am hoping I do too.

Nolanry, I enjoyed Still Missing very much. Killer ending.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
LOL Sea, your comment just made me SMILE so much. Love it, thanks. I know Mameblanche can just devour a book when she gets hooked into one. Very true!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 12:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
(((((((Gal))))))) Feel free to email or call me if needs be. PM me for info. I've walked the walk - Forwards, backwards, and sideways. I'm here for you.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Next book will probably be the fictional memoir Aunty Mame by Patrick Dennis. I NEED some escapist, fun stuff right now.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Started The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley last night. Enjoying it very much. Thanks to whoever it was who mentioned it here. I appreciate all of your recommendations.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 4:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Auntie, I've read others of hers, but weren't super awed by them because they were sorta slow. I will give Winter Sea another go.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 4:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Escapee, I took a trip to Scotland a few years ago and became interested in Scottish history. That may be why this book grabbed me.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Ugh, I am so jealous! We plan to go in a couple of years.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 5:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Reading French Lessons by Ellen Sussman. Story of three French tutors in Paris and their students. Enjoying it....nice easy read.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yessie, that sounds good.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Anntie, I just finished reading it. I really enjoyed it.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Mameb, I have Auntie Mame and the sequel (Around the World with Auntie Mame)in my to read pile (accidently bought the paper instead of Kindle). I loved the movie and never knew that the author wrote a follow-up sequel in 1958. I look forward to reading them.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Wow Beach, I didn't know about the sequel. Thanks! I haven't started it yet either. Probably will tonight. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Pushups in the Prayer Room which was certainly interesting.. he and a friend bought tickets that would take them around the world for a year (I think basically they could fly anywhere for a year) and they just had backpacks and often stayed in really low level places and would make friends with locals, often by playing basketball.. lots of drinking and partying.. in fact said author had served some jail time in Karuuna's county, I believe, in Colorado and was out on probation so he thought maybe being out of the country was a good thing. They went all over South and Central America, Australia, New Zealand.. at some point the other guy was more wanting to see Europe.. the author, who had German roots, had been there when he was younger and to Europe, so he headed for the Middle East.. Israel, Jordan, Egypt etc. In Thailand he found a place to stay in an Arab area, so he ate lots of their food and not much Thai food. He went to the Phillipines too.

He ended the trip visiting relatives in Germany and got to meet one one long lost relative on his father's side since the Wall had gone down since he'd been there when he was younger. I think he hit Switzerland too. Amsterdam..

Came home went into business, had a home and cars and money in California, then after 10 years he sold or gave away everything and moved to Costa Rica and wrote this book in a year.

It is $.99 and is also lendable one time.

Now starting a short compilation by Barbra Karnes of her writings.. End of Life Guideline Series: A Compilation of Barbara Karnes Booklets (Gone From My Sight, The Eleventh Hour, A Time to Live and My Friend, I Care

These are used by hospice and come recommended by a number of people who have lost children or other family members to cancer, and one amazing mom with her amazing son Vinny,who has been transitioning in his own fashion for weeks. So I figured I could learn from this author and perhaps understand more (I have had quite a bit of hospice training back when I volunteered there and lots of added reading, but these seemed of interest.. and of course I'm interacting with cancer patients several days a week now). Not lendable.

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
Nolanry, I enjoyed Still Missing very much. Killer ending.

Thanks for letting me know, Mamie! Oooo, now I'm looking forward to it even more. :-)

I'll be reading Gone Girl next for my mini book club with my friend Aly and at the same time reading something solo after Warm Bodies is finished. Haven't decided which is pulling at me more...Justin Cronin's The Twelve or I've been dying to start A Game of Thrones series. I really want to watch the TV show but I know I'll enjoy basking in the rich detail the book will offer before I check out the show (which is already highly respected by fans of the books)

decisions...decisions!!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 2:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I was up all night reading 'Still Missing' by Chevy Stevens mentioned above thread. Wow!! What a page-turner! I've started her next book, 'Never Knowing'.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Just started "The Will of Wisteria" by Denise Hildreth. Not for enough to give an opinion.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 5:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished the four pamphlets (on kindle as one file) and they were quite good.

Starting The Rose Hotel: A True-Life Novel Novel because the writer was 4 years old when the events occured (the beginning) so some things she had to piece together and had to disguise some people for fear of retribution. Takes place in Iran and just the beginning is pretty difficult to stomach, yet those things did happen over and over, to real people. So I will continue reading.

By Rahimeh Andalibian.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, January 25, 2013 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Just picked up some new reading:

a) "The Orientalist: Solving the Mystery of a Strange and Dangerous Life" by Tom Reiss. The book traces the life of a Russian Jew (Lev Nussimbaum) who transforms himself into a Muslim prince in Nazi Germany and becomes a best-selling author. I've just started this, but it's supposed to be quite the biographical thriller (it is a true story).

b) "In a Gilded Cage: From Heiress to Duchess" by Marian Fowler. This is about five American heiresses who married into the British aristocracy between 1870 and 1914 (including Consuelo Vanderbilt), and how they coped with marriages in a foreign land to men they weren't necessarily happy to marry.

c) "The Titled Americans: Three American Sisters and the British Aristocratic World into Which They Married" by Elizabeth Kehoe. This is about the Jerome sisters, daughters of a Wall Street magnate and his heiress wife, and their relationships with each other as their lives changed through marriage. Jenny Jerome became the mother of Winston Churchill. The book spans three generations from 1840 through WWII.

Will check in with recommendations on these books as they progress - the last two might be interesting to Downton Abbey fans.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 3:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Someone Like You by Cathy Kelly.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Anntie, Cathy Kelly is one of my faves! :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 5:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Stayed up until 4:30 AM finishing 11/22/63! There is NO good stopping point once you hit about 80% of that book! LOVED IT!

I'm debating whether I'll read a Noah Gordon book next or a Carlos Ruis Zafon: The Physician or The Angel's Game.

First -I have to read through two sets of Spanish tests and tomorrow I'll have argument essays from AP. Hopefully I can start reading the fun stuff again by Tuesday or Wednesday. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The Rose Hotel turned out to be an intimate family history, but at the same time quite insightful as to the Iranian experience for the last 30 or so years. The family went from Iran to UK and then to the US.. right here in Orange County -- Irvine and Laguna Beach, so that made it more interesting as well.

I'm quite glad I read it! A $9.99 book I got when it was free for a day and it is lendable one time as well.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 11:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Will be starting the new Kindle Single by Stephen King, Guns

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 28, 2013 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Currently enjoying Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis.