TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 22, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 22, 2013 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 9:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
She does have the start of the next book at the end of this one. I'm not sure when it comes out.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Reading "Missing Mark" by Julie Kramer.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 1:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished the book about Dr Biro's experience having a bone marrow transplant. Seemed very honest, since he painted himself as quite whiney compared to kids who go through that.. but it was interesting. Now reading another dead tree book before I bookcross it.. (I'm moving out a bunch of dead tree books to make room, but a few I'm reading first).. Slave by Mende Nazer.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 2:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Just purchased today Dr. Karyl McBride's book: WILL I EVER BE GOOD ENOUGH? Healing The Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers. I saw her on Dr. Phil a couple of days ago.

Probably the wrong book to read 10 days before the anniversary of my mom's passing in 2010. I really miss the sweet little old lady with dementia whom I cared for, who was my mom for the last 5 years of her life, but not so much the mother she was for the first 50 years of my life. I want to finally resolve this, once and for all. Maybe it is the perfect time. If not now, when?

((tears))

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 3:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
{{Mame}} maybe you need to hold that one for later and dive into a comfort book??

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 7:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Sea! Had insomnia so I'm now on.pg 65. It's tear-stained and full of scribbled notes already. ;)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I've started Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, January 18, 2013 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Wow, Karyl McBride's book on mothers and daughters is EXCELLENT. Feeling so much better and have such a clearer understanding of longstanding issues and am finally working through the process of forgiving - both of us (my mom and myself). I highly recommend this book: WILL I EVER BE ENOUGH. Best thing, is that the author/doctor doesn't stand apart or above the reader, she's also in the same situation and incorporates that into the lessons. (Also recognise that I was blessed with the opportunity to take care of mom in her last years and that absolutely jump-started the healing process in our relationship.)

Sorry I was so 'emo' in my earlier posts... Anyhow, feeling so much lighter of heart and spirit today. Now I'm going to finish the Barbara Freethy novel I was reading earlier this week before I got all caught up in McBride's book.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 18, 2013 - 2:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That's really great, Mame!

Anntie

09-03-2010

Friday, January 18, 2013 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Glad you're feeling better Mame. Starting "A Perfect Square" by Vannetta Chapman. Another Amish mystery.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, January 18, 2013 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Again, I'll chime in unasked about my Kindle Fire. Love it. Have since bought one for my sister and my niece. Carry it with me everywhere, have downloaded an enormous amount of content (most of it free), if it died tomorrow I would be ordering one before the end of the day. So, I guess you could say I like it okay, right?

There was a woman on Dr. Phil this week who has DID and her therapist has written a book "Twenty Two Faces." It sure does seem to me that her therapist has a lot of power over her, including suing the woman's son from doing a college video project on her because she has "copyright" power...I mean, the boy has had to live with her and all of her personalities for years and this therapist is suing him?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 18, 2013 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yeah, some therapists have trouble with boundaries and multiples test anyone's boundaries, for sure.

Glad you are enjoying your Fire, Roxip. I sure love mine.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, January 18, 2013 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished "11/22/63" by Stephen King. It was good. Not sure how I feel about the ending though.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 11:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Slave and it was heartbreaking, even though she did get free, others have not and she still couldn't go home for fear of death..

I immediately downloaded her more recent sequel book and look forward to that.

(Mende Nazer).

Anntie

09-03-2010

Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Starting to read "Sharp Objects" by Gillian Flynn.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 11:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the sequel, Freedom. The Kindle version needs editing, but the story follows her finally back to see her family, though the visit is complicated for sure. She also visits a refugee camp in Sudan, where the Nuba people, who had been targetted by Arab Muslims because they were black, had taken refugees from Darfur, also targetted by Arab Muslims in their country for being black.

She was planning to try to use the platform she already had after writing her first book about her experiences, being hauled off with other children to become the slave of an Arab family in Khartoum, where she, as a child of about 12, was forced to work 7 days a week with no pay and no hope of escape, doing all the cleaning, cooking, childcare, while being called "black slave" instead of her name, constantly punished for no reason, denied basic healthcare, even a warm place to sleep and then at 19, summarily sent off, given to a relative in London, who happened to work for Sudan's emabssy. Treatment was a bit better but she was still a slave. Eventually she did escape and then spent 6 years before she was granted asylum in the UK. Both books are well worth reading,

Now back to a book I almost started before, Pushups in the Prayer Room about a guy and his friend who left San Francisco, walked away from job, girlfriend, whatever, and took a year to backpack around the world.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, I want you to keep a tally of how many books you read in a month. Or even a week! I know the numbers will be high. Very impressive!

:-)

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Oh, I should share that a few weeks ago I finally had my turn with the library copy of Gone Girl.

After hearing from my sister, and reading here, of what a suspenseful ride the book was and how the ending was lacking... I turned the pages and read the ending first! My sister was apoplectic! Ok, she wasn't that upset <sheepish grin>. I told her it was like this other being took over and I was telling myself there was no way I could read the book without peeking.

That is my shameful story for the day.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh no.. get MAMIE to give us a tally! She's way faster than I am! And then it is hard to compare with different genres (like non fiction may take longer, not always..).

I know Mameblanche can just devour a book when she gets hooked into one.

So after reading the ending, did you read the book??

Anntie

09-03-2010

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Finished Sharp Objects and liked it more than Gone Girl. Now reading "A Thread so Thin" by Marie Bostwick. It's a women's relationship book; friendship, aging parent, marriage & divorce etc. Not great literature but a good read.

Lottaluv

10-16-2004

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lottaluv a private message Print Post    
I am reading "When she Woke", it is about America in the not so distant future. The main character has been "chromed" red. Instead of long prison sentences, people are chromed a color based on their crime. Red is for murder and they are allowed back on the streets. It has been a pretty good read so far.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
(Perks up ears) "Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker?" Do. Tell. Mamie316 - it sounds like it's right in my wheelhouse.

(((((((Mameblanche))))))). I'm having the reverse experience from you - the amazingly strong father who raised me is gone, and I'm having a hard time remembering him in the face of the disabled and dependent person he has become.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Lottaluv - did you read Mudbound by the same author? It's a totally different style (and a historical novel - not futuristic), but a fabulous book. Hilary Jordan's mom, Anita, is on an AP teacher (and on FB and a listserve that I participate in), and she is quite proud of her daughter! :-) When She Woke is a modern Scarlett Letter, so this English teacher loved the parallels that were woven in throughout the entire novel.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 8:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL, Teach, I thought "The Scarlet Letter" as soon as I read Lotta's description!

Mudbound.. why do I think I read that.. or do I just own it? Yes to both! And yes it was excellent.

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 1:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
Lottaluv--Ooooo!! That book sounds fantastic! Please continue to let us know what you thought of it. I'm like a moth to a flame with futuristic novels, showing an altered state of society or how it functions.

I've been very busy planning wedding stuff so I haven't had as much time to read, but I've gotten about halfway through Warm Bodies and I love it. It's one I've been wanting to read for a long time and I bought it with a Barnes and Noble giftcard I got from Christmas ;)

OH! Has anyone read Still Missing by Chevy Stevens? Saw it when I was perusing the books at Shopko. Haven't purchased it yet because I have so many books on my shelf I'm gonna get to first but it's on my radar. I just love authors who use psychiatrist/therapist sessions as vehicles to tell a story, it utterly fascinates me!