TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 15, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 15, 2013 users admin

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
If anyone is looking for some quick, funny, light reading, right now Kindle has the five-book collection of Bombay Assassins Greatest Hits for $1.99.

Amazon.com

The books are about a family of assassins with each narrated by a different family member. To give you an idea of the author's sense of humor, the books are entitled:
'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy
Guns Will Keep Us Together
Stand By Your Hitman
I Shot You Babe
Paradise By The Rifle Sights

They may not be great literature, but they really are laugh-out-loud funny!

Scout

01-19-2005

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I'm reading a really different, but interesting book called, "Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend". It's the story of an eight-year-old autistic boy and his imaginary friend, Budo. Budo is the narrator of the story. So far, it's hard to put down.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Scout, it does sound interesting.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
MERRYSEA - Thanks for the info on the Bombay Assassins series..just bought it for $1.99. Could use something humorous.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I was at the theatre recently and an advertisement for a new movie "Beautiful Creatures" caught my attentin, so I have downloaded the book to my Kindle. Good so far although it is moving a bit slow...hope it picks up soon.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Reenie, let me know how you like it!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am still reading Just One Day by Gayle Forman and I also started The History of Us by Leah Stewart.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
MERRYSEA - I finished the first story and loved it! Like you said, not great literature, but very entertaining. I laughed out loud a few times! On to the second book and looking forward to hearing Dak's story!

Just what I was looking for......

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Dak's is the first one I read (I got it free and it got me hooked on the series). The description of the hit at the beginning and the phone call cracked me up!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 1:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
My library only had 2 of the Bombay Assassins books:

'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy
and
I Shot You Babe

I think I need to bow to the masses and get a Kindle. A book addict should have one right? Or will I be a like junkie mainlining heroin? I always joke that I am a purist and I must hold the book. Book snobbery eh?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 3:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
You can always return a Kindle within 30 days if you don't like it. And you can get covers that look like a book. I said the same thing but my first Kindle (2007) made me realize it was the ideas and words that had me hooked, not the format.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 4:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
You are very wise, Sea... and always a voice of reason. :-)

I went and looked and I think I may go for the Kindle Paperwhite with a cover. Fellow book fanatics I know, and all of you here that use e-readers, say they love them.

I'm taking the plunge...

Reenie

06-24-2006

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 7:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Rieann - when I was thinking of buying a Kindle in 2009, I was concerned because I thought I needed the actual book to enjoy the reading. As it turns out, I never missed the book.

I feel the same was as Seamonkey - it's the words and ideas that hook me.

Now, I prefer reading on my Kindle. On the rare occasion that I read an actual book-book, I don't like it...too bulky.

Take the plunge and let us know if you like the Paperwhite..

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Reading Barbara Freethy's ON A NIGHT LIKE THIS. I enjoy her, but this one seems a touch formulaic.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I've never had a Paperwhite. Last Kindle reader I had was the Kindle 3, I think now known as the Kindle Keyboard. Then they came out with the Touch and later the Paperwhite.

I know some have had faulty ones but think that was early on.. from what I can tell they are really light and nice. Kindleboards.com has lots of paperwhite threads in their Kindle forum.

But it would be much lighter than any of the Fires, just a different experience.

Sounds like a good choice. They may have the covers that automatically turn the device on when you open and off when you close it.. I have that for my Kindle Fire HD and it is really slick.

The only time it glitches is if you put it on a metal surface, then the magnets reverse and turn it off while open.. I discovered this when I had it open on the stove while I took vitamins at night. Others had other metal surfaces and then some people tested them against a refrigerator (not that you'd read that way).

Anyway it is a really nice feature, those magnetisd covers.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh I finished the book by the multiple and am still taken aback by so much that happened.. therapist naming an alter? Having the multiple's child in lots of sessions back when they didn't know who would pop out? (seemed to work okay), STILL not being able to communicate within or be co-conscious? Wow. Little ones in pain not being ablt to tell their story and merge in? But all systems are different.. still seems a shame that several who were instrumental in keeping them out of hospital or getting their child back are so depleted that they aren't present much.. with co-consciousness they could be there and contribute and also enjoy the daughter and life.

Clearly the one who says she has been appointed to be in charge now is loving the spotlight and not about to share.. not saying she's right or wrong because who can really know.

Just shocked that since she's so much (the body is) younger and would have been in treatment in a time even more accepting of the Dx, and when there was so much available to read, that she was in the dark for so long.

Starting a memoir by a guy who hitch hiked around the world.. or actually it was backpacking.

Push Ups in the Prayer Room: Reflections from a Year Backpacking around the World by Norm Schriever.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sea thanks for sharing your pov about Kim's book. Loved our dicussion here. Any similar books on that topic you might recommend?

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Thank you for the Kindle advice, Reenie and Sea. I just went and read the other thread on devices back to September as well as kindleboards...whew!! Now I'm leaning towards a Fire rather than the PaperWhite. I'll have to decide what my usage needs would be. Most of what the Fire offers I would do on my laptop, but then again it's nice to have options. Either way, I'm excited to take the plunge. I'm sure I will be an instant addict and I will also have free space on my nightstand. It's usually full of books!

Sea and Mame, I got 1/3 of the way through Kim Noble's book and then had to set it aside for some escapist fluff. I'll get back to it when I can handle the subject. I've never read anything quite like it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 2:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That is pretty mild in terms of DID memoirs, but I know what you mean. I don't meant to be so frustrated with her/them.. really I know it is quite a process and bewildering at first, to say the least. I went through it before I had a computer, which would have made note writing/leaving/reading easier.. but then on paper you really see the different hand writing..

Mame.. I still think Sybil is the best, and Trudi Chase's When Rabbit Howls, very different, she really lets out the anger and the imagery. I actually got a reply from her when I wrote. She was on Oprah too but I didn't appreciate the way Oprah treated her.. well I guess I don't really think it is a good place to go unless someone is well integrated and able to fully consent to being ON tv and a really good therapist won't come with a patient in tow. But of course it is interesting and instructive too.

Chrystine Oksana wronge a good book but I think it is out of print.

I read a book by Chris Costner Sizemore (she was "Eve") and it was pretty boring. She was badly used by her therapists, who literally had her sign away the rights to her story! Contrast that to Dr Wilbur who arranged for Sybil to meet with Flora Rheta Schrieber, who wrote the book and she provided files for that and was a consultant on the mini series and she had it set up so Shirley (Sybil) had some income from those efforts. Probably not much, but it really helped her.

Trying to think of other books.. I haven't bought any in quite awhile so there probably are good newer ones out.

Many Voices Press has put out some good anthologies. Not sure how active they are right now since the owner is battling cancer and has been for some time.

==

I didn't get started on the backpacker book but am reading a memoir by David Biro, who was a young doctor when he was diagnosed with.. well they haven't diagnosed him yet, but became a patient rather unexpectedly.

==

Rieann.. I think you will LOVE any Fire. I had the original and now have an HD. I got the larger one but in both cases they have HD and better sound and other great features. And I read on it all the time, too. But it is super for music and video (not that I do much of that) and apps and games. and documents. I email my schedule to the fire each week and have it with me when I'm driving patients.

And yes, free space indeed! You can carry thousands of books with you. Esepcially great if you read huge books, like a couple of the Stephen Kings lately.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 12:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Sea, I finished the book - wow! Her story is very different from Sybil's (Shirley's), but it's interesting that art plays such a big role in both.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Reading "Falling to Pieces" A Shipshewana Amish Mystery by Vannetta Chapman.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 8:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I have to know how those of you who read 11/22/63 ever dealt with "real" life? All I want to do is READ, but I have so little time, it's driving me nuts! I'm only about 1/3 of the way through the book, but I am loving it!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 9:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Merry, intersting parallel but of course (as Dr Wilber pointed out to me when I (whover was there) bemoaned the lack of artistic ability).. Sybil (Shirley) had a very fine education in terms of her painting.. MFA from Columbia.

And of course quite the opposite since Shirley was quite self effacing, shy and wanted NOTHING to do with the limelight in terms of the book and the miniseries and really only a few people knew who she was. She lived in Lexington near Dr Wilber after she retired and helped to care for Connie when she was sick the last years. My therapist talked to Dr Wilbur fairly often and also spoke with Shirley.. one time when Shirley was panicked because Dr Wilber was not doing well at all and she refused to go into a hospital or ER. Actually Jim had called me with an update on Dr Wilbur and between us we were thinking surely a doctor would make a housecall.. so he called Shirley back and urged her to pull rank if she had to and indeed a doctor did start coming out and that crisis was averted. He and I both suspected Shirley was Sybil but there was no reason to out her in any way.

Shirley never had children and, as the doctor said to Dr Wilber in the movie (and in real life), it was doubtful she could have physically carried a child considering the damage done to her. She was engaged to a man who had children but he lived in South America and Shirley almost did go but she wasn't ever real healthy, had a leacky heart valve and she also told Dr Wilbur that she was fine on her own anyway.

Oh, you know another really fascinating book is The Lives of Billy Milligan.. I think that is the title. It really was sad that he didn't have maybe better advocacy. Dr Wilbur did testify in his behalf but the local sheriff was a bully and didn't like that Billy had been allowed to be free, so he harrassed him until he could be pushed into a parole violation (this was all told to me when Dr Wilbur came to California the last time and we had a marathon session at my condo. Have it on video tape but not sure it would be viewable by now. I should try to get it converted.. my last labrador, Kizzy was there and it would be nice to see her, too.

And really most multiples are different even though they may share many of the same issues. I've been in rooms with many multiples at once and there is definitely diversity.
====
Teach, you have my sympathy, sort of.. definitely a good long read and of course how nice to have it on a nice light Kindle instead of a very heavy book.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Just finished What We Saw At Night by Jacquelyn Mitchard. Enjoyed it. Very quick read but I didn't know the story would be continued and the end is very abrupt.

I am also reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 6:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ohh, that is such a bummer when you get cut off like that in a story! Is there another book already written?