TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 05, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 05, 2013 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The Warmest December was wellk written, pretty dark, but real.. lendable and now over $9.00.

Started another book I got for $1.99 (that is now over $9.00 again) (not lendable) Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him by Luis Carlos Montalvan. Liking the book, though I wonder about the research/editing.. I realize this guy wasn't there when Tuesday was a puppy, but describing a newborn Golden Retriever as "hairless" (hardly true) and having dark brown eyes when they opened (not true.. puppy eyes are blue at first), makes me wonder about the accuracy of some other stuff... but still a very readable book.

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 10:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
Just finished The Passage by Justin Cronin. Very, very good book. I haven't purchased The Twelve yet, but It's something I will do very soon! Can't wait to see how the story continues.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Nolanry, it won't let you down.

I am still reading Code Name Verity, it's really not doing much for me.

I am also reading How to Eat a Cupcake by Meg Donohue.

Jeep

10-17-2001

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jeep a private message Print Post    
Just finished reading the first two books of the Crossfire Novels by Sylvia Day. Bared to You and Reflected in You. Loved them! Can't wait for the third book to come out. Thought this was a better read than 50 Shades. More story to it. Hopefully the 3rd book will not disappoint.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Reading The Last Coyote - a Harry Bosch novel - and enjoying it more than Ellen's book. I needed a plotline! :-)

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I had been so looking forward to reading Dan Simmon's "Flashback". I've really liked his earlier books - especially "Summer of Night" which felt very much like a Stephen King book. This story is set in the future, where most of the population is hooked on a drug called "flashback" where people go back and relive their best memories. It sounded so intriguing, but about halfway through I think I'm going to have to give up.

I don't mind that his vision of the future is so grim. Plenty of really good sci-fi stories have that in common. But I do mind that he starts in 2008 and basically dissects every current political issue that we've faced and are facing and explains how the decisions have literally ruined the world. And he goes on and on and on. It's like he forgets what he's writing about for awhile and gets started on his own political agenda and forgets to actually tell a story.
It feels so different from his earlier books, that I had to go look it up and see if I was confusing him with another author.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 3:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ugh, that sounds frustrating, Scout! I hate when a writer I like loses what I liked..

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yeah, ITA w/ Sea, that's VERY disappointing, Scouttie.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished Code Name Verity and it really did pick up as I got longer into the story.

I am now reading The Drowning House by Elizabeth Black.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Starting Notorious Nineteen by Evanovich.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 7:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Auntie - didn't realize there was a new Evanovitch book out. Will put it on hold at the library!

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 9:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Oh, I finished that book, too.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I saw KIM NOBLE, on Anderson Cooper Live yesterday and I am hellbent and determined to get her book ALL OF ME. She's absolutely fascinating. She's a multiple personality I think they call it DID now, and many of her 20 alters are artists, mostly painters. Her teenage daughter was on the show with her too. I did a bit of online research and found that KIM was on Oprah 2 or 3 years ago as well.
Anyhow, her book is available on sale for my KOBO, at about 10.00 bucks, down from 15.00. But I'm waiting for a promotion and hoping to get it for less, if possible. I'm more willing to pay more for a book I can actually resell to a second hand shop, or keep on display on my bookshelf.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 2:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the referral, Mameblanche - just ordered it from the library.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL, just know that most multiples hate being described as "fascinating" (even though it may well be true).. just in case you ever meet one (that you know of) in person. Remember it is a defense against early childhood torture/abuse.

I'd also like it to come down in price a bit (or maybe not..) Hope they include her artwork!!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
OMG I never meant any offence! I am drawn to anything and everything to do with psychology and how the mind works. I think it's a blessing that mother nature came up with this extraordinary way to protect precious children from such heinous abuse and misery.

Geez, I hope I haven't dug a deeper hole here. I really do mean well.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sea, I was going to put the link to her website here, but God Forbid, I don't want to trigger anyone (who might be susceptible, for whatever reasons) if they see her drawings. Some of them are VERY disturbing, from the alter/s that retain the memories of the ritualistic, cultlike abuse she endured.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mame, please know that I know you certainly meant no offense.. that is just a word I've heard SO many times.. even from people wanting to be therapists (and definitely they must learn more before they take on trauma patients of any sort because fascination is just a facade or veneer and the issues are so deep..

I did buy the book on Kindle and I see mention of artwork in the index, so I trust there will be some.

Trust me, I'm far enough away from all that therapy that I can handle most triggers that life throws my way, but it wasn't always so.

What is interesting is to see artwork that gives indications of trauma when the artist is in denial.

I remember at the big international conference I attended in DC, I had also met up with Dr Wilbur (it ended up being her last major public appearance, sadly (she MOST hated being unable to travel from Lexington to Michigan for her 50th medical school reunion.. I'm sure she was one of the few females in the class and undoubtedly the most famous and she did enjoy the limelight).. and there was an art exhibit of really large paintings. I was pushing her wheelchair and we went to check it out. She told me she'd be VERY surprised if this woman didn't have some pretty deep childhood issues.. and the paintings were quite dark and ominous.

Guess I should check out her website. Trying to finish my current book first, but it didn't take me long to cave in and purchase the book.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the recommendation for 'All of Me', Mame. I am very interested in psychology as well. I would have used the word fascinating too. Thanks for reminder Sea that there is a person there, not just a subject. I loved how you put this, Mame...

I think it's a blessing that mother nature came up with this extraordinary way to protect precious children from such heinous abuse and misery.

We're both psychology nuts for sure. I even got into reading some neuroscience books. The brain is a fascinating thing!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 10:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It is a blessing at the time.. no doubt for many it is a life saver.. but later it can destroy lives.. lost too many to suicide or other behaviors.. strings of hospitalizations, so much pain and that pain can affect children, marriages, jobs and so much more.. a defense that saves, yes.. and of course for some it CAN help to sustain, to maintain a fragile balance most of the time. I've lived it.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 10:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Very true, Sea. It is very complex. Living with and caring for the sufferer has a serious ripple effect.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, January 04, 2013 - 8:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Enjoying, 'The Bronte Sisters: The Brief Lives of Charlotte, Emily, and Anne' by Catherine Reef.

I didn't realize this was a book aimed at young readers when I requested it from the library. As a fan of their novels, I was always interested in learning more about the Bronte sisters. I am finding that the simple, yet informative, format is great for my peri-menopausal brain-lol. Interesting to know the background on the inspiration for certain character and story elements.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, January 04, 2013 - 2:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sea & Rieann, looking forward to discussing the book, once we've read it. :-)

Thanks Rieann and you made Reef's book on The Bronte Sisters look pretty appealing as well.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, January 04, 2013 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I am soooooo happy. One of my fave authors Cathy Kelly has a new book coming out in a few weeks: The Honey Queen. If you like Maeve Binchy, this will be right up your alley. :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished the two I was reading, they were both okay, nothing too exciting.

I am now reading The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley. Elizabeth read it on her flight here and loved it and I am truly enjoying it so far.

I am also starting The Lion is In by Delia Ephron for review.