TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 31, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 31, 2012 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 9:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I got 3 Amazon cards for Christmas so there is book shopping in my future :-) I already pre-ordered 2 books for my Kindle.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh yeah, those gift cards are so easy and pleasant to use!

I was spoiled with a $25 Amazon gift card from So Calif Edison for signing up for a program, but there was no guarantee I'd get the card.. "limited quantities", so when it arrived, YAY. and I got a credit when Amazon knocked the price down on the Fire HD 8.9" and kindleboards folks (one without an 8.9"!!) egged us on to demand a credit since we hadn't had our devices for 30 days so we could technically have ordered at the one day discount and sent back what we paid full price for. A couple of people did get credits on their cards, but most of us were happy with gift card credit. YAY!.. and somehow I got a $50 mp3 gift balance and have spent that.

But you.. when would you not have book shopping ahead? LOL! Of course I include free books in shopping.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 10:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finally finished the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy. Was definitely ready for something different. My sister bought me the Stephen King book, "11/22/63" book. I'm about a hundred pages into it. Really enjoying it so far. I have read almost everything SK has written except for a few more recent books.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Read The Twelve Tribes of Hattie. Good book.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, I'm in the middle of High Crimes, and I'm constantly having to stop myself from throwing the book against the wall. I understand that you take your life into your own hands when making a summit attempt at Everest, and everyone involved has made a huge financial commitment. But really - does any of that matter when a living and breathing man is grasping at your leg begging you to not leave him alone to die (regardless of whether there's any chance you can get him down)? What kind of sick shits are in this sport?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That is exactly how I felt, GAL!! I mean I knew there were problems with people paying big bucks and putting others at risk, but what is reported in this book is far beyond that!

But at least if you throw the book it would be safer.. I was reading it on my newest Fire.. too much of a risk to throw that!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I actually understood the man who ran the well-funded and well-organized operation who put out all kinds of expenditures that the "independent" climbers took advantage of while claiming to do it on their own. He got financially hosed for being a decent human being. At some point you have to say "enough." The rest of those shits, though . . . OMG.

Gustavo and George are one in the same in my mind. Sociopathic con-men. The author of the book doesn't come off so awesome, either. His dumbassery is prolific, but at least he put it out there for the rest of us to consider.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
True, I wasn't impressed with the author so much either.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Brownie Points, which was ok and is lendable too.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I'm going to be rereading the Outlander series to prepare for Diana Gabaldon's newest edition to the series!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 9:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am reading Code Name Verity, which I bought for the Kindle today. I read a lot of good things about it and then someone in my bookclub said that she was disappointed in it but I am going to be positive, for now.

I am also reading You Came Back by Christopher Coake.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 11:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Have a missing friend in Australia named Verity..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 11:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Starting The Warmest December by Berniece I McFadden.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 9:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
It took me forever to slog through A Casual Vacancy, everytime I picked it up I nodded off after 10 pages. Not on my recommend list. Reading a Lisa Kleypas. Listening to Chelsea Cain's new book Kill Me Twice as well as A Barbara Delinsky, While My Sister Sleeps.

If you haven't read a Chelsea Cain, pick up her first one, her Gretchen Lowel books are very good thrillers.

Bidasea

08-04-2005

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bidasea a private message Print Post    
I just got a Kindle Fire for Christmas, and found a good book on Amazon the first day :-) I read thrillers and like Patricia Cornwell, Kathy Reichs, and James Rollins. I found a "Dan Brown like" book that is a medical mystery. It's called the Orlando File by Ian C.P. Irving. I had never read this author, but thought I would give it a whirl..Can't put it down.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Bida, if you grab lots of the Kindle freebies and bargain books, you will meet many new authors who are quite good. Check out kindleboards.com and there are various email notifications you can get from Amazon and other groups about daily bargains/free books. Also free mp3 of the day and free app of the day.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Reading Barbara Freethy's The Way Back Home on my Kobo.

http://www.fictiondb.com/author/barbara-freethy~the-way-back-home~307011~b.htm

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Finished reading "Diary of a Stage Mother's Daughter" by Melissa Francis. I don't know what I expected, but I didn't find her experience with her mother so distressing or compelling that it warranted a book (not that I wished worse would have happened to her). I kept thinking there was more to the story than Francis was willing to put on paper - it seemed unfinished and bereft of many essential details (particularly concerning her sister's circumstances). Where is her mother now? Why does her father skate without blame? Where did all her residual checks go once she was a) emancipated and b) aware of the situation with her mother c) smart enough to make her own financial arrangements and d) living away from home?

I looked around for any response from the mother, and came up with one supposedly from her mother that basically said the book is fictional and that their situation was more of a "Mildred Pierce" type deal than a "Mommy Dearest" type deal. Of course if that were the case I'm sure the mother would be suing the crap out of Francis right now.

I don't recommend this book - it is a fast read, but ultimately leaves you wondering whether the whole truth has been told. And if not, why undertake this kind of book in the first place?

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
And now I'm heading back to finish annoying myself with "High Crimes" LOL.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 2:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Just finished Freethy's book. Going to either start reading the Streisand bio or Maeve Binchey's last novel. Not sure what mood I'm in yet. Bored and sick in bed with a wonky tummy.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
GAL, exactly.. and it is annoying through to the end, too.

Mame, for that tummy, I'd recommend Maeve any day.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, December 31, 2012 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Almost done with Ellen's new book Seriously...I'm Kidding. In small doses it's ok, and some parts are laugh out loud funny, but it's like a non-stop monologue - a few serious thoughts with a lot of her dry humor jokes. If I read too much at one time, it gets old.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, December 31, 2012 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Teach, thanks for the heads up on Ellen's book. I have it and I think I will read a chapter here and there.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, December 31, 2012 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
:-) I nabbed it in the Daily Deal, so I don't mind that it's not fabulous. Glad to be of service, Mamie.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, December 31, 2012 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I snagged it then, too, so not much cost, but good warning.