TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 16, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 16, 2012 users admin

Reenie

06-24-2006

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I just started "The Shoemaker's Wife" by Adriana Trigiani...so far so good. Going to read "A Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin next.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Thanks - snagged it. :-)

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 11:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I just finished "The Shoemakers Wife". It wasn't bad, but not one of my favorites from Adriana Trigiani.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 5:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Nolanry - I ordered the book you suggested from Amazon yesterday and another that popped up in the same genre! Thanks again!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 8:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the recommendation, Seamonkey- just ordered "High Crimes: The Fate of Everest in an Age of Greed."

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
No problem, Tnt. I hope he enjoys it as much as I have (and I think he will!)

Redpen, don't be ashamed! I read YA too. Well usually classics or medal honor books. I have many kids books on my shelves. They are all my favorites from when I was a kid. The Witch of Blackbird Pond, The Wolves of Whilloughby Chase, The Call of the Wild, The Lion the With and the Wardrobe and James and the Giant Peach (I love Rould Dahl). I could go on :-)

Reading books in school was one of my favorite things growing up. Teachers know which ones are the good ones and I loved discussing them in class and doing worksheets on them (I'm a nerd I know).

I would also recommend The Wolves of Willoughby Chase to anyone. It's a slim book (like Sign of the Beaver) but a fun adventurous story reminiscent of A Little Princess (in my opinion)

BTW did you like The Sign of the Beaver?

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 6:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
One of my BFF's grands has asked for a Big Nate book. When I looked for them yesterday, what I found looked like collections of comic strips. Is this really what I am looking for? I was expecting something more along the lines of Lemony Snickey or the Whimpy Kid books. Please help -

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Been a little slow in my reading these last few months. I read Dorothea Benton Frank's Porch Lights, it was okay.

I am now reading Michelle Moran's "The Second Empress" about Napoleon Bonaparte and his second wife and his weird relationship with his sister (ick!). Michelle is the best at writing historical novels, you don't feel like you are reading bland historical facts at all. She has me really ticked at Napoleon because he would not let his second wife bring her beloved dog with her when they married. If a man won't let you have your dog then he most definitely deserves to be exiled, LOL!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Beach, I agree about Porch Lights being okay. She's had better. I also finished Return to Sender which I didn't like at all. I just could not care for the characters, even the supposed heroine.

I am now reading The One I Left Behind by Jennifer McMahon. I love her books, they are so creepy. This one is about a girl who's mother was abducted by the Neptune killer. He (or she not sure yet) would kidnap the women and then cut their right hand off, very neatly done, and put it in a "have you seen them" milk carton and leave it on the police station steps. The women's bodies would be found a few days later, killed after the hand surgery. Creepy, right? Her mom suddenly appears after 25 years and will Neptune be too far behind?

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 3:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Tntitanfan - all the Big Nate books that I have seen have only been in comic book form. At least the ones my nephews have are.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished The One I Left Behind. I could not put it down!

I am now reading two Christmas books for a book challenge. 1225 Christmas Tree Lane by Debbie Macomber and The Gift by Cecelia Ahern.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 6:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Scout!

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 2:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
Finished Under the Never Sky and I actually really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to picking back up with the characters again when the sequel comes out in Jan 2013 when Through the Ever Night comes out.

So if you like Dystopian YA novels I would recommend it.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Finished The Twelve. It was great. What to read next, decisions, decisions.

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
Anntie! Thank you so much for mentioning that book! see this is why it's important for people to randomly share what they are reading. I was intrigued by the title "The Twelve" so I looked it up and found out that it is book 2 and a book came before it called The Passage. I read a few reviews of it and my interest is utterly piqued. It will 100% be one of the next books I purchase to read. (and then after I will read The Twelve) Thank you so much!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Nolanry, you have to read them! I love the series.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Your welcome Nolanry. Enjoy!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Started reding Christopher Plummer's memoir 'In Spite of Myself'. Lots of juicy name-dropping and stories, but it's a hard slog and not really enjoying it. It's a big fat book, and I'm only about 1/5 of the way in to it.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I read the first chapter via the New York Times, Mameb- and I didn't enjoy it much either. He seemed more arrogant in print than he's seemed in TV interviews. (Maybe he iS more arrogant, and I just don't know it. :-) )

Got Gone Girl for Kindle from our library - and it's a good thing the weekend is nearly here! :-)

Anntie

09-03-2010

Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 3:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Reading The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman. Very good debut novel.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Anntie, I enjoyed that one.

I am reading Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan.

And I am also reading She Matters: A Life in Friendships by Susanna Sonnenberg for review. I really liked her book Her Last Death so I am hoping I enjoy this one as well.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I finished listening to The Poet by Michael Connelly today. It was a $4.95 special on audible, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 4:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I have just started Christie's "Hercule Poirot's Christmas" for my book club this Saturday night. It has previously been published as"Murder for Christmas" and "Holiday for Murder." That seems strange to me. Does anyone have any idea why three different titles?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
3/5 of the way through Christopher Plummer's bio. Plodding along determinedly. He must have kept notes or a diary, how he remembers everyone from highest to lowest rung IS amazing. If you ever met and shook hands with the guy, you are probably in the book. (Which means I should be on the lookout for my own name. LOL/joke)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's funny, Mame!

I read that one years ago, Tn. Not sure why they would change the title though.