TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 08, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 08, 2012 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Nolanry, I haven't heard of Under the Never Sky. I did read The Night Circus and loved it. And you will definitely love Gone Girl.

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 10:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
Ahhhh, you read The Night Circus?! It's one of the most visually descriptive books I've read in a long time. There wasn't a thing in it I couldn't imagine in my head in clear detail. In fact, as soon as I was done I hopped over to IMDB to see if there were any rumors of a movie being made. It struck me as the perfect book to transfer to film. There is a thread on the boards there that asks what parts of the book are you looking forward to seeing onscreen....I couldn't help but post an answer and I'd be interested to hear your response. :-)

Re: Under the Never Sky--Yeah, I saw it on a book list called "15 Books to Read to Cure Your Hunger Games Hangover" haha. I looked over many reviews of it on amazon because although the premise appealed to me, I was a bit worried it would be too juvenile. But I read enough reviews stating that the author takes great care investing in the characters and it made me intrigued. Character development is one of my favorite parts about fiction. If you have flat characters a book is gonna stink. So we'll see.....

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 11:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I read Night Circus when it first came out so I have to go back and think of what scene I would really love to see. There are so many of them. I thought she did option the rights but I could be wrong.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 11:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I have GOT to STOP popping into this thread! LOL My, to do/recommendations/wish lists are getting too long!

I have been reading a lot of books on anorexia and memoirs of ED sufferers as my niece is going through it. VERY hard subject matter. I get so emotional and affected by it all.

Anyhoo, thank you all for adding to my other reading lists! :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 11:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Rieann, it's hard to read books when they really touch home. I have read a few lately about dementia because I am taking care of my mother who is suffering from the disease. At times, I've had to put the book down and take a breath.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 7:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
My former next-door neighbor is a therapeutic dietician who works with a physician who specializes in eating disorders. They have had patients as young as SEVEN - can you imagine?!?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It starts early.. or people and the media start early on kids these days..

I can remember when I gained weight after my tonsils and adenoids were finally gone and I wasn't sick half the time and having to go to the "Chubette" department for clothing. I think at least they don't call it that anymore.

===

Still enjoying Gail Simmons' book.

Mame, you might enjoy.. she's from Canada and talks about time in Toronto and Montreal, among other locales

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Sea.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Actually she was briefly in publishing in Toronto I think and namedropped and I'm betting you will know the names ;)

Actually anyone who likes food or cooks will probably enjoy her story.

I'm just up to when she graduated from culinary school in NYC.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 11:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Frankly I've never heard of her, and am not into cook books. I don't watch cooking shows either, except for Cake Boss who I think is a sweety-pie (pun intended)! But you've got me curious, so I might give it a whirl.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I love food, cookbooks, TO and Gail Simmons, so I'll give it a whirl. My current fave cookbook author is Anna Olsen, she is a great teacher on paper and on tv.

I am forsaking A Casual Vacancy for Gone Girl.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mame, but you like food and travel and ideas, so she might strike a chord anyway.. I did think I hadn't seen you in some of those threads but just had a hunch you might enjoy.

It isn't a cookbook, so far only a scattering of vague recipes or stuff she learned from her mom.

I don't cook or do cookbooks either

Her parents met when each came to Canada .. he came from South Africa, she came from Belgium, I think. And a friend got excited and told him basically that there was this nice Jewish girl.. and it worked!

She's with Food and Wine magazine currently, I think..

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Reading John Grisham's, The Rackateer. Pretty good so far. I have always liked his legal thrillers better than when he branches off into other subjects like his last one about baseball.

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 3:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
Thank you so much for mentioning it, Scout. I've seen that one and I'm also a big fan of John Grisham but I haven't read one in awhile. Now I might need to pick it up...

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Need help! I have a fifth grade boy to buy a book for Christmas. He likes history - is there any kind of series dealing with American history that would be appropriate for his age group? Or s single book suggestion would be very welcome as well!

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
Tnt, fictional or not? A book I recently purchased is one I remember reading in grade school and well loved. It's called The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Spear. I actually specifically looked for it at B & N one day because I was really wanting to re-read it.

If he likes American history this is set in an earlier time in America. It's about a young boy who travels with his father to the Maine wilderness where they build a cabin, once it is complete the father leaves the young boy to watch the cabin while he travels back to their home city to collect his wife and two young sisters. While his father is gone he must fend for himself and happens to have several encounters with Native Americans. An older native asks him to teach his grandson to read. It's about the perils and adventures he goes through while he awaits his families return home. I've looked up the age level for it and on various sites it says it's for age 9 and up, grade 4 and up---another said ages 10-14.

But anyway, I enjoyed reading it so much in school and it's stuck with me all these years. Thought I'd just throw it out there :-)

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 8:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
What a generous and helpful summary, Nolantry! That might be just the thing -

Redpen

07-24-2003

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 6:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
It sounded so good I downloaded Sign of the Beaver onto my kindle, $5.24. I'm not proud, I read YA. Right now I'm trying to read Les Miserables. OMG. The translated version is so dense that I got a study guide that recaps each chapter at one page each. Somehow it's still slow going. I feel like maybe I should just try to read the original, but I haven't read French since 1973. Is this common for retirees? Or is it that I'm used to Grisham and other modern writers? I have been reading a lot of Jane Austen, though.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 8:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Going to read another bio, either Christopher Plummer (which I bought months ago and haven't been compelled to read yet) or the one I just bought about Barbara Streisand... hmmm decisions, decisions.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am reading Return to Sender by Fern Michaels for review and I am also reading Porch Lights by Dorothea Benton Frank. I've never been to the low country but I love books that are based there.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
I read Porch Lights. It was fairly good.
About to start The Twelve. I'm excited!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 11:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished the memoir and have started High Crimes: The Fate of Everest in an Age of Greed by Michael Kodas. Horrifying.. I've read many accounts of what has gone on and is going on but things have really deteriorated.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Anntie, I am excited for you!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished Die Trying (the Jack Reacher novel) and am on to the second half of The Poet in my audio books. Had a blissful 2 hours of listening time to the latter today as I braved grocery shopping during the holiday season.

Sea - that sounds like an interesting book. Is it on your Kindle? If so, is it lendable? Everest and its climbers fascinate me.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 6:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Unfortunately lending is not enabled.

I've read quite a few books on mountain climbing.. but this is revealing even more about the sad trend now to make money, even the Sherpas are being corrupted. Things that would have never happened.. stealing of vital equipment, bottles of oxygen, leaving people who need help, really troubling. It makes some of what happened in Jon Krakaur's book Into Thin Air seem like child's play.

Only $1.99 now..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00134XEQO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002KHMZJ0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1ACER7GC9SM2M3FPYJKG