TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 03, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 03, 2012 users admin

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 7:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Just finished "Yes, Chef." Astonishingly honest and manna for a foodie to read!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 8:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Just put 'Yes,Chef' on my library waiting list. It sounds great. I enjoyed him on 'Top Chef Masters'. I love memoirs.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
LOL! I was number 31 on the waiting list at my library when I signed up for it!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 3:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Finished Jeanne Cooper's Not Young, Still Restless candid bio and it was WONDERFUL. I've interviewed her and met and interviewed several of the Soap Opera folks she talks about but there was still a shocker or two in there for me. Very enjoyable read, I HIGHLY recommend it. :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Mame, I was a bit shocked about her and Raymond Burr. LOL I enjoyed that book very much.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes Chef sounds good but expensive on kindle.. I stuck it on my wish list.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I love Annie Dillard.. she doesn't like books that are clearly written with an eye toward becoming movies..

On people who read:

quote:

People who read are not too lazy to flip on the television; they prefer books. I cnnot imagine a sorrier pursuit than struggling for years to write a book that attempts to appeal to people who do not read in the first place.

Anyway, enjoying her book (not that I don't flip on the tv, of course). And the actual title is The Writing Life.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 5:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Mamie, I was shocked with who her younger lover turned out to be!!! I've done phone interviews with both of them individually, years ago, and had no idea.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Spill! Mame! Spill! Who was her younger lover?

Sea, I'll have to check out that Annie Dillard book. Love that quote. Not that I don't flip on the tv too. lol

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 6:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
HINT: It's not incest, but it might SEEM that way to Y&R fans.

Rieann, it's just a HINT, but it's a pretty evident hint to longtime Y& R fans. So I've put it into a spoiler box so as not to ruin it for anyone who doesn't want to know until they buy the book.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Rieann, I will spill, it was the guy who played Brock. I don't think that's much of a spoiler. It does seem strange though.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
She eventually broke it off due to the 20 year age diff, so he went and married a woman 30 years older than he was!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 9:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Wowzers!! Thanks for the spill ladies. :-)

Y&R was my favorite soap during my high school and college years. I always loved Jeanne, as Kay, fighting with Jill and her interactions with her maid. I can't believe I've forgotten the maid's name!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 10:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
The maid's name is Esther.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
(we DO have a soop thread somewhere..)

I finished the Annie Dillard book on writing and am now really enjoying Gail Simmons' memoir, Talking With My Mouth Full: My Life as a Professional Eater.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Still slogging thru A Casual Vacancy, frankly I am only reading at night and 10mins in I'm out like a light.

I am listening to Back of Beyond by CJ Box. Pretty tense driving!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Currently reading I Shall Not Hate by Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish. It's excellent.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I just finished "Running Barefoot" it was pretty good. Easy read. Now I am reading "Oh, That I Had Wings."

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Not sure but I think someone asked me to recommend some Nora Roberts books:

Many years ago I discovered her when I tripped over her Stanislaski series about the Stanislaski family. IMHO that would be a great place to start. And there are SEVERAL books in that series. It's one of her older ones.
Here's a list of them: http://www.goodreads.com/series/51605-the-stanislaskis

Here's descriptions of the first 2 in that series:

http://www.amazon.com/Taming-Natasha-Luring-A-Lady/dp/0373285647/ref=pd_cp_b_0

If you are not into a series, and just want to dip your toes into a stand-alone book, then one of her most recent books is:

The Witness

Putnam Hardcover
Released April 17, 2012

"Daughter of a controlling mother, Elizabeth finally let loose one night, drinking at a nightclub and allowing a strange man’s seductive Russian accent lure her to a house on Lake Shore Drive. The events that followed changed her life forever.

Twelve years later, the woman known as Abigail Lowery lives on the outskirts of a small town in the Ozarks. A freelance programmer, she designs sophisticated security systems—and supplements her own security with a fierce dog and an assortment of firearms. She keeps to herself, saying little, revealing nothing. But Abigail’s reserve only intrigues police chief Brooks Gleason. Her logical mind, her secretive nature, and her unromantic viewpoints leave him fascinated but frustrated. He suspects that Abigail needs protection from something—and that her elaborate defenses hide a story that must be revealed." - Penguin Group

(She also writes the IN DEATH series under the pen-name J.D. Robb. Those are also really popular, but frankly, while I've tried them, they are not my cup of literary tea. I know there are folks here who do enjoy them.)

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Nora Roberts follows the same formula for all of her novels it seems. After a few they are too predictable.
Is this series similar to her other books?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
What kind of books are they?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Mindy Kaling's book "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?" She is hilarious!

On the Kindle, I am reading Dash and Lily's Book of Dares.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'm now listening to An Echo in the Bone as well as The Poet (Michael Connelly) and Crime and Punishment (the latter for school - keeping up w/my AP kids). I'm still reading the second Jack Reacher novel (Die Trying) on my Kindle. I haven't finished "As Always Julia" - but that's one that I pick up and read 2 or 3 letters and then put it down for a while. Four, I do believe, is my limit, but I'm hoping to finish all of them before Christmas. :-)

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
I just started a "book club" with a close friend of mine. I don't know if you can even call it that because its just the two of us but we like similar books and love discussing them so we thought "why not?".

We gathered a list if about 10 books that we are collectively interested in reading and then had a mutual friend randomly pick the first book out of a hat. It was Cloud Atlas and I whipped through it pretty quickly! While I'm waiting for her to finish it I read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I really enjoyed the lushly visual storytelling and would really recommend it. Just started Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi. Has anyone read it and would recommend it? I'm only about 30 pages in and it's good but haven't really been sucked in yet.

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Monday, December 03, 2012 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
Oh and I think when I perused the recommendation thread I might have noticed a mention of Gone Girl? That's on our book club reading list and I'm looking forward to it coming up!!! :D