TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 29, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 29, 2012 users admin

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 7:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Sometimes books are like that...you start on them and for one reason or the other they just don't catch your attention...but at another time you can reopen that book and can't put it down! I think a lot has to do with what is going on in your life at that time. I know when I'm in times of high stress in life I have to read very fluffy books, but when I am relaxed and life is good I can read more intense stuff.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Just bought 3 books yesterday at Indigo. Nora Robert's novel THE PERFECT HOPE which is book 3 in her Inn Boonsboro Trilogy; Maeve Binchy's posthumously published novel WEEK IN WINTER; and Jeanne Cooper's NOT YOUNG STILL RESTLESS memoir (she's Katharine Chancellor on the Y&R).

Anntie

09-03-2010

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Reading "The Violets of March" by Sarah Jio. So far it is good, but not great.

Didn't know Maeve Binchy had passed. I enjoy her books.

Rvon

12-11-2003

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
Jasper -- and anyone else interested -- Gone Girl was amazing!! It had more twists and turns than any other book I have read. Just when you think you have it figured out.........BAM!! Another twist!

Scout

01-19-2005

Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Just finished reading Kate Morton's, "The Secret Keeper".
It was excellent. I like her style of writing - skipping back and forth in time, while still advancing the story. This one is a woman looking to explain her mother's past, and it definitely keep you guessing. Her books just keep getting better and better.

Mame - thanks for mentioning that they published Maeve Binchy's last book. I hadn't heard that they did, and plan to go download it to my Kindle. Great to know I get another chance to read a new book from her. She will always be one of my all-time favorites. (just found out it's not available through Amazon until Feb. 2013. oh well - something to look forward to:-))

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 4:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I have just started Marcus Samuelsson's "Yes, Chef," and it is amazing!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 9:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Scout, I read somewhere today, that Maeve finished that book just barely a few weeks before her passing. I also read that her husband picked up a posthumous award for her (I think it was in Ireland).

Anntie, Maeve is not only one of my fave authors, but I was privileged to meet her and her husband Gordon Snell at least twice, and I wrote an article about her. (This goes back a few years, I'm semi-retired now.)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 9:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Currently reading the Nora Roberts book I bought this week.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Read "The Killing Floor" today - the first Jack Reacher novel. Enjoyed it as I have the other ones, but I still have NO idea how Tom Cruise is going to play a man who is twice his size!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 11:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished The Secret River.. started around 1804.. interesting, sad and I learned much.

Skipping forward, reading, also set in Australia, Secrets From the Dust by George Hamilton.. a prize winner from Australia. About the time when Aborigines.. or half, quarter, etc., were taken away from their "mobs" and place in institutions and "educated" to be taken into families, mostly to be used as servants.. a shameful part of Aussie history.. still reading this and it is also sad but also quite interesting.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 11:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
it was finally my turn for Gone Girl from the library's kindle books. I have 14 days to read it. I hope I get it done in time. I also have to finish Penny Marshall's book by the 30th.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 5:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
The treatment of the abos in Australian was all too similar to our treatment of the American Indians - it reallly resonated with me when our tour group visited what had been a school for the abo children who were taken from their families.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Landi - just turn off the wi-fi/3G connection once you've downloaded your book, and you can keep a library book until you're done. The Jack Reacher book is one of 6 that came as a set from the library, and there is no way I can get through them in two weeks during the school year. I just turned off the wi-fi, and a month later, I've still got them. :-)

Anntie

09-03-2010

Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Mame, how wonderful that you were able to meet Maeve. You must have had an interesting career.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thank you, Anntie. It has been fun! :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 7:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
TNT, indeed.. this book really shows how conflicted these kids were, some growing up to get back to their roots, with others rejecting them but never really fitting in, even with so called liberals..

This book continues to hold my interest strongly.. want to read and read and don't want to finish.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished a couple of books that I really enjoyed.

The Unlikely Gift of Treasure Blume by Lisa Rumsey Harris. It was really sweet.

The Sometimes Daughter by Sherri Wood Emmons. I really liked her first book and was happy to love this one too.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 5:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Just ordered "Diary of a Stage Mother's Daughter" by Melissa Francis from the library.

Who remembers this girl from Little House on the Prairie:

Melissa Francis 1

Well, she grew up to be this girl:

Melissa Francis 2

She's a Business Anchor for Fox News Foxbusiness.com

and she's written a book about being the cash cow of a manipulative and selfish stage mother and her escape to sanity. Also about her sister who wasn't so lucky.

Should be interesting. I remember the kid, have not been familiar with her as an adult.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I want to read that one, GAL.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
On the Kindle, I am reading The Shortest Way Home by Juliette Fay and I'm also reading Rearview Mirror by Alana Stewart.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I saw something about that one, Gal.. kids shouldn't be cows, cash or otherwise... IMO.

====

I finished Secrets from the Dust..wow..

And decided to stay in Australia since Nevil Shute's On the Beach was available on Kindle and I had bought it. I read it probably in the early 60s .. and saw the movie but had forgotten the details and so I'm interested in reading it again..

Anntie

09-03-2010

Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
I've read some fluff and started books I could not get into. Must have something to do with the not so good mood I've been in.

Just started Grisham's The Racketeer. We'll see how this one goes.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
His books usually draw me in..not that I've read all that many of them.

I finished On the Beach. That kept me wanting to read it. The only bad thing was with the publisher bringing books like this out as e books, someone isn't proofreading too well. I'm sure Mr Shute would have appreciated a better vetting, but he's been dead since the sixties..

Read a quick kids book something like Gummy Bears in Afghanistan

and now starting Annie Dillard's book on writing.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
GAL-
Anytime I see Jake Gyllenhaal he reminds me of Missy Francis crying on Little House. I'm nutty, I know!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Just bought 3 more books... Hello Gorgeous, Becoming Barbara Streisand by William J. Mann; Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis; I Shall Not Hate by Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish.