TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 20, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 20, 2012 users admin

Anntie

09-03-2010

Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 8:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Finished "Sarah's Key" and just started "What Happened to my Sister". I think my next book needs to be a bit happier.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Invisible by Carla Buckley.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, November 16, 2012 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Augie's Quest. It is lendable, but it is also non-fiction.. Anyway, I was quite interested, touched, impressed and wanting to know the status today..

Starting The Council of Dads: My Daughters, My Illness, and the Men Who Could Be Me by Bruce Feiler.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Friday, November 16, 2012 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
I am so glad that Flock wrote a sequel to Me & Emma. I enjoyed What Happened to my Sister and I needed the closure.

I just started " The Giving Quilt" by Jennifer Chiaverini. Slow going so far. I enjoyed her early Elm Creek quilt books, but her later ones not so much. I'll plod on!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, November 16, 2012 - 3:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Anntie, I so agree about needing the sequel to Me & Emma.

I'm reading All Gone by Alex Witchel. It's the story of her mom's dementia. It's really hitting home for me.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Friday, November 16, 2012 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I have to admit that sometimes you all intimidate me with all the "good" books you read. I tend to read what I consider fluff stuff; regency romance, cowboy love stories, and silly detective type novels. I love to read and sometimes read 4 or 5 a week and I'm a little ashamed to admit that a few months after I read them I couldn't tell you a thing about them. I've been know to be half way through a book and then realize I've read it before and can't tell you how it ends (outside of the fact that the guy gets the girl). LOL

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Friday, November 16, 2012 - 10:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Jmm, I read a whole lot of fluff, too, especially since there are always a lot of those free on Kindle! Although I'm currently reading A Tale of Two Cities - I was talking to someone about it recently, and remembered that when I read it in high school, it started out really slow, then all it once it got exciting and the whole class finished the book ahead of schedule. (I'm still waiting to get to the good part - and I don't remember what it is!)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, November 16, 2012 - 11:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
JMM, biographies are about as lofty as I get. LOL. The other stuff I love to read are novels by Nora Roberts, Maeve Binchy, Cathy Kelly, Barbara Delinsky, Pat Conroy (novels and memoirs), Susan Wiggs and Nicholas Sparks. On my Kobo I especially enjoy Barbara Freethy and Sandra Kring. And I also appreciate the fluffy freebies that I get for my KOBO! Nothing intimidating on MY list, that's for sure. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 12:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think there is a wide range of reading material because there's a wide range of readers...

And a range of reasons to read or what you want from reading.

Its all good.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 1:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Fluff is good, my reading of choice unless I'm in a mood to read something more intense. Sci-fi, fantasy, urban fantasy, mystery, horror...I've got two teenagers, a husband who worked 70 some odd hours this past week, and an 83 year old, broken-necked, bed-bound aunt that needs a lot of care, I get enough reality and drama in my day to day life! When I finally get to sit down and read, I want to escape for a little while into an impossible world and have some fun and relax.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 6:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Cozy mysteries all the way for me! Very rerely anything more intense!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Jmm, I enjoy good fluff!

Anntie

09-03-2010

Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
I'm reading a mystery right now! "The Dog Who Knew Too Much" by Spencer Quinn. The fourth in a series about the adventures and misadventures of PI Bernie and his dog Chet. They make me chuckle and I needed to read something light.

I'll read almost anything...not a fan of most sci-fi, but everything else.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'll read most genres but don't stick to lots of romance, mystery, sci fi.. though I've loved lots of sci fi over the years and a book that pulls me in and happens to be a mystery or includes a romance.. all good. I go through sprees of true crime stuff (lots of Ann Rule and recently, after many years, re-read Norman Mailer's The Executioner's Song. Bios and memoirs. Maybe my lifelong penchant for nonfiction stems from not much family drama (well at least as an adult) and often I'm feeding my psych major mind since my work career ended up figuring out what computers could do to help people and businesses and then telling the computers how to do it.. different kind of drama, so the psych major in me who is still fascinated by people had to satisfy that in my volunteer life so I did lots of reading that helped me with sexual assault survivors, domestic violence, hospice and now with my cancer patients who, while it might be difficult to even think about what they are going through, really need people who can get beyond that and what a rewarding thing it is to help in even a small way, to listen, support.

And lots of my non fiction helps me to understand others, and me and my cat and then the other cats I deal with.

I always like my volunteer work to come with learning and training. And it sure does.

And I have to confess to grabbing a People Magazine or even an OK or other similar checkout stand mag and there's fluff.

And Fluff is when you finally get to sink into a chair and know you have some time to read, hopefully not to be cut off because you are falling asleep or the phone is ringing or your cat decides NOW is the time to pay lots of attention or your restless leg isn't driving you to distraction.

The memoir I'm reading now, by Bruce Feiler.. he's an author I like.. have read any number of books so feel I've "travelled" with him as a teacher in Japan, a student in the UK, travelling to Biblical locations all through the mideast.. and I know he writes well and now he's sharing about his life and having cancer and I'm not reading the end first but hoping he has a good outcome.

I haven't gone beyond reading email today, and still have more to read in the paper, too. Yep, I still get an actual newspaper.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
i'm currently listening, in the car, to Red Rain by RL Stein. I keep checking to see how many discs are left, but not because I don't want it to end. It seems to drag on and the story is not well crafted imo. I just want it done so I can move on to the next book. As it seemed to take half the discs to get an vague sketch of what is going on, I need to finish it.

I listened to "An Amish Christmas" by Cynthia Keller and it was a nice story. Then I picked up an audio by Linda Castillo who writes mysteries set in Amish country, it was good. I have another to listen to in the car. On a little Amish kick I guess.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 8:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Reading A Casual Vacancy, it is a little slow, in hardcover and Last Resort by Linwood Barclay as well as A Secret Garden on my KOBO.

Oh as well as this lovely big tax guide for a course I am taking. Fun fun fun!

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Jasper, for some reason it gave me a chuckle to think of you listening to Amish books on CD while driving your car!

Anntie

09-03-2010

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Reading "They Disappeared" by Rick Mofina; an ok thriller/suspense novel.

Jasper, I've been on an Amish kick at times also.
I liked "An Amish Christmas". Enjoy your tax guide!!

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I am reading Drop City. It seems to me so hard to follow. There's a ton of extra unnecessary verbiage, IMO. Just a lot of rambling so far and SO many characters to follow.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 2:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I had an Amish kick awhile back.

I finished Council of Dads, which I liked very much. Now starting an Australia kick with The Secret River by Kate Grenville. Historical fiction starting in UK .. to colony of felons in New South Wales,

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 8:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm still reading All Gone. Mom's had a few bad days so I haven't had much reading time.

I'm also reading on the Kindle, The Unlikely Gift of Treasure Blume.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I love Ann Rule books but they are too expensive on Kindle for my taste.

For those of you who like more "fluffy" stuff, I just read a good series (the first book was free on Kindle). It is "The Fallen Star" series by J. Sorensen. I liked the first book enough to purchase the other three books in the series. It is a witch/vampire/other assorted otherworldly beings end of the world series, but it was a cool read.

Yes, I'm reading a lot of young adult fiction because it is generally inexpensive or free on bookbub...LOL!

Did I tell you my boss's husband's book (Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain) was one of the 5 finalists for the National Fiction Award? He didn't win but still...top 5 in the United States...not something to sneeze at!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 3:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I read many Ann Rule books before Kindle.. I avoid most expensive Kindle books.

That's great about your boss's husband's book!!

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I think I am going to put aside A Casual Vacancy for now. I'm only about 60 pages in and it just isn't capturing my interest. Off to read Gone Girl or Freak.

edit to add at this point it seems less entertaining than the tax guide!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 9:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That's a good sign to put it down..