TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 07, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 07, 2012 users admin

Anntie

09-03-2010

Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 3:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Sea monkey, almost finished with "Scent of the Missing" and really enjoying it. I find myself looking at my dogs differently and wondering what clues I have missed in their behavior. Is it a quirk, misbehavior or have they been trying to tell me something?

Anntie

09-03-2010

Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 4:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
I am having so much fun reading the books you all have been posting about. Each book is like opening a Christmas present and in most cases the surprise inside is a good one. Thanks to all of you!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm glad you enjoyed that one, Anntie! I sure thought it was a good one. Dogs are just amazing with all they can do. Back when I was breeding labradors most of ours went as pets, some to show as well, some did obedience work, but we had two go to Canine Companions for Independence, one to Guide Dogs for the Blind, we had some show champions, many working certificates, one who had all the obedience degrees plus became an Obedience champion, one who had derby points at real field trials and some were hunting dogs. But probably the proudest a dog made me was when I heard that this little yellow girl, who wasn't ever going to look like a show dog,though she was good looking, but was cherished as a great hunting dog, jumped in front of the owners toddler grand daughter and took a rattlesnake bite.. the rattler was going for the child. Luckily they rushed her off to the vet and she also lived to tell the tale.

But working rescue dogs just amaze me.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
What a wonderful story! Labs are such great companions. We have a black lab, our third one and loved them all. Kind and loyal as can be. Ours have all come from the local shelter. They always have too many and people are hesitant to adopt black dogs. Such a shame since they make great pets even if they don't have a pedigree.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 9:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Black dogs and black cats as well (not sure if there is a problem for the black bunnies). Black cats have a very hard time coming out of many shelters alive.

We have some real beauties.. and I got Katniss at the shelter where I volunteer.. black and gorgeous she is. My last cat was also black and came from the high kill shelter and was a super great cat for over 20 years.

I always loved the black labs so much. We did have a chocolate and a couple of yellows over the years but just loved the black ones.

We seem to have good luck adopting out labs and there is a labrador rescue group locally as well.

Here we get a glut of chihuahuas and chihuahua mixes and tons of pit bull mixes too.

Actress Katherine Heigl has an organization in honor of her brother and they flew 41 of our little guys up to Canada, where they apparently don't get many small dogs in their shelters.. so that was a particularly happy outcome for all involved.

Ask Whoami I about adopting great black dogs!!

Sounds like you have a good group there at your place!!

I'm really trying to get into the early years of Julie Andrews.. probably just need some bigger chunks of time to read

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, October 29, 2012 - 8:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am reading Andy Cohen's book. He's a lot of fun!

Anntie

09-03-2010

Monday, October 29, 2012 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Reading "NYPD Red" by James Patterson and Marshall Karp.
Typical Patterson book, fast paced, short chapters and wide margins. Not great literature but it is holding my attention.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, October 29, 2012 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I needed to read a "beach" book for a challenge so I picked up Beach Colors by Shelly Noble.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, October 29, 2012 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I have been reading - and re-reading some - Ngaio Marsh books and loving her wonderful prose and well-rounded characters.

I have "Yes Chef" waiting on the back burner - life is good!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, October 29, 2012 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
All our dogs have been black, and 3 of our 4 cats have been black or partially black calicos. :-)

Finished The Brave - and highly recommend it!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, October 29, 2012 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
My brother and sister-in-law used to have a great black lab mix, Amy. She was huge and just a love. I miss her.

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
I'm starting "Odd Apocalypse". I've missed Odd Thomas and I'm excited!

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Just finished Beach Road by Patterson and someone else. Started An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 2:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Rieann how did you like Creep?

I loved the book Sarah's Key and learned a lot as well. The movie was pretty good too. I have since read a couple more of de Rosnay's books, neither as good as Sarah's Key. The House I Loved.... and A Secret Kept.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Reading Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio. Good book, I'll have to check the library for her other books.

Read An Irish Country Doctor and enjoyed it.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Anntie, Blackberry Winter left me in tears.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 4:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
I'm not finished yet, Mamie. Thanks for the heads up, I'll get the box of tissues!

Anntie

09-03-2010

Friday, November 02, 2012 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
"A Christmas Hope" by Joseph Pittman. Nice story about the holidays, village life, relationships and the search for an old Christmas book.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
"Rizzoli & Isles: Lat to Die" by Tess Gerritsen.
Good suspense/thriller. I like her books.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Julie Andrews memoir, Home which leaves her still in her first marriage.. apparently she stayed friends with her first husband, and his eventual second wife but wish the book had gone into that more. Still a very good read.

Starting next: Blackberry Winter.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 3:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Don't laugh, I'm reading "A Cowboy Under My Christmas Tree" by Janet Dailey. I like it; it's like reading a Hallmark movie.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 5:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Really enjoying the twists and the turns. Keep thinking I must be close to the end and then look at the percentage I have read (thanks Kindle!) and realize there is a lot more to come!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 2:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Blackberry Winter and it was good but a bit far fetched. Still enjoyed reading it.

Now reading Following Atticus: Fourty-Eight High Peaks, One Litle Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship by Tom Ryan.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
And when Gone Girl ended I was like "What? That's the end?"

Hermione69

07-23-2002

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 5:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hermione69 a private message Print Post    
Me too, Yesitsme!! I still have her other two on reserve as eBooks, though, and can't wait to get them!