TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 18, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 18, 2012 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, October 12, 2012 - 8:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Wow thanks OG, that sure was an eye-opener!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 12, 2012 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Scent of the Missing: Love and Partnership with a Search-and-Rescue Dog by Susannah Charleson.

Now have even more appreciation of the work done by volunteer search and rescue teams.. dogs/people..

This woman really gets inside the mind of her golden retriever and I like them both. And she also rescues pomeranians, much to like. She's a pilot as well.

I think she could write more about any number of things and I'd be happy to read what she wrote.

Just starting a book that I already wish I'd read long ago, or more on the subject of internment of the Japanese americans during WWII but more important the treatment of them for decades prior and after.

Considering that a close family member by marriage came from parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles who lived through that experience and era.. most important.

Silver Like Dust: One Family's Story of Japanese Internment by Kimi Cunningham Grant.

So far, well written.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 12, 2012 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Definitely eye-opening about Botswana!

Custom, indeed. Just last night I highlighted this in the book I mention above.

quote:

They were from Jap0an, so they could not become citizens. The Naturalization Act of 1790 limited naturalized citizenship to "free whites," and although in 1868 the Fourteenth Amendment extended this to African Americans, it was not until 1954 that Asian immigrants could become naturalized citizen. California's 1913 Alien Land Law prohibited noncitizens from owning land, but Papa and Mama, like many Japanese families, sidestepped the stipulations fo this law by deeding the house in the names of their children, who had been born in the United States and were therefore rightful citizens.

And there were segregated schools, theatres, only being allowed in many venues one day a week,and so much more.. all this long before Pearl Harbor and internment. ANd many of the actions in Califoria violated a clause from the 1894 Commerce and Naviation treaty signed by the US and Japan. Per Theodore Roosevelt the action (of segregating schools) "intemperate" and he deemed Californians "idiots" for instigating an international conflict.

So, eye-opening, but we need to look inward as well.

LOL..I'm only 11% into this book, just wait!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, October 12, 2012 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I just read a good paranormal series by an author named Charlotte (I think) Abel, the first book was "Enchanted" and the second "Taken." It is about a girl with magical powers whose family is crazy and they have to move from rural Arkansas to Colorado and about trying to adjust to a life without being surrounded by her family. Now I just have to wait until that darned 3rd book comes out in December!

Anntie

09-03-2010

Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Read "Me & Emma" last night. Wow! I could not stop until I was finished and never ever guessed how it would end. Mamie, thanks for posting. When my stack of library books gets shorter I'll be getting the sequel.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Anntie, the ending was a surprise, wasn't it?! I'm so glad you liked it.

I just finished reading Eight Girls Taking Pictures by Whitney Otto. She wrote How to Make an American Quilt. I can't say that I loved it. It was for review and probably not something I would have picked up on my own.

Rvon

12-11-2003

Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
I loved "New York" by Edward Rutherford....read it on my Kindle.

I also loved "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. That book really is a must read for everyone. It has more twists and turns than any other book I have read. Every time you think you have this book figured out another twist pops up. Great, great book. I have not read her other books though.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Reading " A Dog's Purpose" by W. Bruce Cameron. I previously read " A Dog's Journey", out of order but that's ok.
I love these books even though they make me cry. Don' t bother if you are not a dog lover.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Monday, October 15, 2012 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
"Summerland" by Elin Hilderbrand. Set in Nantucket; car crash on graduation night kills one and puts another in a coma. How the families, survivors and community cope with tragedy.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Monday, October 15, 2012 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
Anntie..read Summerland and really, really enjoyed it. Good read.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Just got my copy of The Twelve by Justin Cronin. It's the sequel to The Passage and I cannot wait to get into it!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I went to put it on my wish list (for when the price drops a bit (first one I did pay $9.99 for and now it is $7.99) and... it was already on my wish list!

Anntie

09-03-2010

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 2:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Reading "Judgement Call" by J.A.Jance, the latest in the Joanna Brady series. I picked up The Passage from the library yesterday and am on hold for The Twelve. I'm intimidated by the size of the book. Do I really want to tackle it?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
The Passage is a large book but I got so involved, I read it in two days.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
Ok Mamie, when I finish this one I will give it a whirl.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 9:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Oh, goody, Anntie, a new Joanna Brady.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 10:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The Passage certainly kept my attention when I read it.

I finished Silver Like Dust: One Family's Story of Japanese Internment by Kimi Cunningham Grant.

I learned so much, felt such sorrow and some anger as well..

Next book, might be Molly Ringwold's book but might not.. might be another.

Anntie

09-03-2010

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 2:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Anntie a private message Print Post    
It's a good one Ophiliasgrandma.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 6:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Lord John and the Private Matter, please tell me the whole book isn't Lord John pondering his cousin's marriage and whether or not to tell her.

I have an author to recommend, Jennifer Hillier. Her first book Creep was very good. I just picked up her second Freak. So many many books stacked up to read. Well, shelves of them actually.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 9:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Starting Gina Gershon's In Search of Cleo: How I Found My and Lost My Mind.

Hmm well that is the title..

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 3:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Jasper - it's not. :-)

Jasper

09-14-2000

Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 7:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Thanks Teach. I'm about half way thru and thinking I hope this whole book isn't about the origins of a sore!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished The Twelve last night. Loved it! Now the long wait for the last book in the series. I guess about 2 years.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 2:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL, Mamie.. I feel your angst.

I'm hoping The Twelve drops in price.. maybe after the settlement of the class action suit.. and then I'll probably re-read the first book and wallow through the second.. and then wait for the third.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
It really wasn't too hard to follow into the second book without re-reading the first. There was a bible-like thing in the beginning that reminded you of all that happened and to who.

I started Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio. Something totally different from the thrills and chills of The Twelve.