TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 16, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 16, 2012 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, September 07, 2012 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished The Light Between Oceans and loved it. Beautifully written, sad story.

I am now reading The Sweetness of Forgetting by Kristen Harmel.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Friday, September 07, 2012 - 10:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
War Brides and The Light Between Oceans are my next 2 reads. Glad they got good reviews here.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Friday, September 07, 2012 - 10:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading the second of Linda Castillo's books. The first was Sworn to Silence and I'm now reading Pray for Silence. Very good mysteries and police procedures, plus can't put them down books.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I liked War Brides

Lottaluv

10-16-2004

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 8:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lottaluv a private message Print Post    
Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Had a hard time putting it down. Pretty disturbing story though.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I am reading "Elizabeth Street" so far, sloooooow moving.

Hermione69

07-23-2002

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 1:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hermione69 a private message Print Post    
Ooo, Lottaluv, I have that on my Nook. I'm reading a Sue Grafton mystery now and that will be next.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Gone Girl is my favorite book of the summer. It's so deliciously disturbing.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 11:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Hoping for a price drop on that one, even for a day.

I remember Elizabeth Street as low, too, Escapee.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 11:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading You Don't Want to Know by Lisa Jackson. I think someone read it here and liked it.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 4:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I just finished Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King. It contains four short stories with typical SK themes, grim stuff but good storytelling.

Next up is Chocolate Covered Murder by Leslie Meier.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Is that a new Meier book? I thought I had read all of hers, but that title doesn't ring a bell -

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 5:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Just finished Jennifer Weiner's new book The Next Best Thing. Hmmmm.....I enjoyed it overall, but not my favorite book of hers. Not sure why. Think it was a bit too in the main character's head, possibly? I felt removed from the other main characters in the book....and I liked the other characters. Story is about a young woman writer has her first show greenlighted for a pilot. The show is somewhat based on her life with the grandmother that raised her (she was permanently disfigured and her parents killed in an auto accident when she was young.) Hollywood massacres her show and takes out some of the best of what it is. Very sad and frustrating....and probably close to the reality of the industry (may be another reason I didn't love it.) Did love the voice of the actress on the audiobook (Olivia Thirlby who was in Juno.) A really good choice.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 8:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Tnt, it came out January 2012 and is the 16th Lucy Stone mystery.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 9:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Yesitsme, I have read part of that book...but not sure that I read the whole thing.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Started: While Christ & His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman last night. I am only 3 or 4 chapters into this 800 page whopper, but I like the way she writes. This is a novel about Stephen and Maude in the 1100's. It's easy to follow. I am tempted to buy it on my kindle, though for $8.00.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Mak1 - I'll look for it at the library!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 7:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Over halfway through listening to New York. Still reading Julia's letters (Always, Julia??), but not much time for fun reading at the moment.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, September 14, 2012 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Read Mitch Winehouse's "Amy My Daughter." It was a waste of time, although I sympathize with the man. It simply added nothing to her story except to explain Mitch's efforts to get her clean (and they were herculean.

Read Alison Weir's "Mary Boleyn." Also a waste of time, and very disappointing - as I've said many times before, Weir is my favorite author - but so little is known about her subject that she wound up spending, for example, multiple pages listing every document that tended to shed light on Boleyn's date of birth. Don't care. Her stated purpose was to try to pull Boleyn out of the common perception of "court tramp." But hey, she was mistress to the French king and the British king prior to being married, there's only so much you can do with that and her "perception." Seriously, Weir punted on this one. I'm mad I have to buy it in hard back to complete my collection of her books (the copy I read was from the library).

Am reading Maureen O'Hara's autobiography "Tis Herself." It's dry on scandalous detail (although she says she caught John Ford making out with a male actor), but interesting as to her experience. Made me want to view more of her films. And also caused me to order John Ford's biography - didn't realize he was the most decorated director of all time (I thought he was basically a cowboys and indians director. Not so.)

Uhh . . . there's more but I can't remember off the top of my head LOL. Am reading a couple of books at a time.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, September 14, 2012 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Gal, I looooooooooooooooove Maureen O'Hara. Still looking forward to her bio, but now forwarned to lower expectations.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 5:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
The book is good, Mameblanche, I do recommend it. It will make you want to go back and re-visit her great movies, for sure.

Am also in the middle of Carole King's autobiography "A Natural Woman." This is also short on scandal, but is very interesting as to how she made her way through the music industry from a very young age. I didn't realize she generally worked in conjunction with a lyricist, at least in the first half of her career. I also didn't realize how accomplished she is as a pianist, having recorded as a session musician for many of the major hits of the '50-60's (and not just on hits that she wrote). I'm just past the Tapestry years now, much is focused on her unwillingness to participate in the star-making game.

And just because - boy does this song bring back memories. Tapestry.

Link is to Youtube.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 9:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
:-):-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
GAL, that lead me to Amazon got Carole and James Taylor live album and Jim Croce.

I finished Always, Julia and wished that the correspondence had gone on longer or for more detail filling in, but enjoyed it very much. It must have been hard for her that her husband and her best friend both died in the same year, though it is clear that Paul was mostly "gone" sooner than that.

Now re-reading a Jodi Picoult book, though I don't usually re-read.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 9:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Newflash - Carole King had a super-weird middle portion of her life. Sort of an earth mother marries controlling domestic violence man followed by earth mother marries teepee man and pursues a quiet title all the way to the Iowa Supreme Court.

Finished Carole King and Maureen O'Hara.

Moving on to "Voyagers of the Titanic" by Richard Davenport-Hines. It focuses almost exclusively on the human lives aboard the vessel as opposed to the tragedy itself.

Following that up with "John Ford: Hollywood's Old Master" by Ronald Davis.

As a follow-through on Maureen O'Hara and John Ford, I watched "The Quiet Man" this week and today am watching "How Green is my Valley."