TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 07, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 07, 2012 users admin

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, August 27, 2012 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the tip, Landileigh. I snagged it!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, August 27, 2012 - 6:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'm enjoying Julia's letters as well, Sea. Also finishing up a Laurie Notaro book (It Looked Better on the Model). I'm not finding it as enjoyable as her earlier works, but I should finish it tonight or tomorrow. Glad I borrowed it from the library rather than buying it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I find I'm enjoying this book so much more because I had read My Life in France, by Julia Child to cleanse my palate after reading Julie and Julia, which I loathed..

My Life in France includes much about the cooking classes and the long process of writing the book.. so this just adds to that and I'm enjoying it.

Don't you love that picuture early in the book that shows a very tall Julia towering over a rather short stove?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Those are exactly my sentiments, Sea. It's like the "supplemental" material. :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished reading Every Day by David Levithan. "A" leaps into a different body everyday and then he/she falls in love. Very interesting concept and read.

I am now reading an advance copy of The Promise of Stardust by Priscilla Sibley. A woman is brain dead and pregnant. Her husband wants to keep her alive until the baby is born and his mother wants to respect her wishes of not living like that and takes it to court.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Reading (or more specifically listening to the audiobook of!) State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. Really enjoying it. I try to keep an ear open for the books that the colleges around here require incoming freshmen to read and this was the book for Duke freshmen this year. Glad I decided to give this one a try. It's about a doctor/drug researcher who is sent to the Amazon to find a mysterious researcher for her company, that also happens to be one of her former med school teachers. The former teacher is very mysterious and very reticent about giving progress reports to this company that is funding her research. Another colleague had gone to find what was going on, but they received a letter that he had died of a fever while there (and they had buried the body there.) Not even halfway into it yet, but good characters and a lot of mystery that I haven't figured out yet! Glad I have a two hour drive tomorrow so I will get further in. (It's a very different experience from last year's book for Duke and UNC freshmen, Eating Animals. I didn't eat meat at all for a month or so and went about 9 months without eating turkey and chicken!!!)

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 4:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
http://www.amazon.com/Island-Sequined-Love-Nun-ebook/dp/B000OVLK2M/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

This is what I am almost finished with and just loving it......I needed something funny and this was it.....twisted fun....

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 6:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Forgot to mention that last week I listened to a free audiobook called: the curious case of benjamin button, by f. scott fitzgerald, it was read by someone whose voice kept putting me to sleep, and his pronounciation was dreadful. The story was fine. Weird, but fine. ;)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Didn't they make a movie out of that book a couple of years ago? Maybe with Brad Pitt?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Yes they did, Roxip.

I finished The Promise of Stardust. Loved it! It comes out in February and you should all pick it up.

I am now reading Where We Belong by Emily Giffin.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Friday, August 31, 2012 - 9:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, can I borrow War Brides? I saw the review for it today, and would love to read it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
You sure can borrow it! Email me from the email you use for Amazon and I'll go refresh my memory on lending.. it is quite easy. My email is in my profile, or you have it anyway.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
You should get an email from Amazon.. seems you have 7 days to accept and 14 days to read.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
If you turn off the wi-fi/3G, you can keep it until you finish reading it (if necessary) - says the girl who is finally getting around to reading Tripwire (a Jack Reacher novel) after downloading it from the library about 6 weeks ago. :-)

Of course, this means if you get newspapers or blogs, they don't update, so it might not be a good solution for everyone.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Teach....I didn't know that!!! So many times I get a library book on Kindle and can't finish it in the 2 week time alloted so I end up reordering it and having to wait for it again...DUH ME!!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
:-) Since my Kindle is only used for reading, I rarely turn on the wi-fi to save on having to charge the battery. It was just sort of an "aha!" when I got an Amazon e-mail telling me the book had been returned to the library, but it was still available on my Kindle!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 11:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mine is always on so my calengoo can sync between my Kindle Fire and my computer. and also sending documents to the Fire, email, etc.

But it is a great way to get more time to read a borrowed book.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, September 03, 2012 - 12:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I use "G-Whiz" on my Iphone for my calendar, Sea - but if I had a Fire, I probably wouldn't have an Iphone. :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, September 03, 2012 - 3:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished Tripwire (3rd Jack Reacher novel) today. It went into such great detail about his physical appearance (6'5" - 250 lbs. of muscle - huge hands - chest like a "Kevlar vest") that there will be NO way to even remotely connect the character in the book w/Tom Cruise in a movie.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 3:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I just finished "The House at Riverton" it was so slow moving. Are all of Kate Morton's books this way?

Appletalk

03-27-2003

Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Appletalk a private message Print Post    
Can someone help me with their understanding interpretation of the a short story "The Tale of the Needle" in a book by Emma Donoghue called Kissing the Witch. Just a short review
Thank You

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sorry Apple, I haven't read it.

I am reading The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Just read "The Book Thief"...awesome book...highly recommend it.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 9:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Does anyone have while Christ and his saints slept that is lendable on kindle?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 07, 2012 - 12:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm pretty certain I don't have that title, Escapee.. unless it was ever free and I snagged it. Author?