TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 11, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 11, 2012 users admin

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Monday, July 30, 2012 - 9:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
I have always known I was going to get an enjoyable read when I picked up one of her books. I knew it would have a feel-good ending.

It seems we have been losing alot of great authors lately.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 5:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
RIP Dearest Maeve Binchy. I am deeply grieved. Not only was Ms. Binchy one of my favourite authors, but I had the privilege of meeting and interviewing her two or three times over the years. She was a grand lady and her husband Gordon is a lovely gentleman. Deepest condolences to Gordon and their loved ones.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 5:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/
post/2012/07/report-author-maeve-binchy-has-died/1#.UBfLU6P-0qg

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 5:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Youtube of Maeve discussing her last book, Minding Frankie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKhWg6rpywg

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I was sad to read that in the paper today. I haven't read a lot of her books but have enjoyed the ones I read.

Currently reading Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens. She is a recommend from me. I beleive she only has two books, I have read the other Still Missing. She is a Canadian author and both books (thrillers) take place on Vancouver Island. This one is written in chapters that appear to be sessions with the main character's psychiatrist.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I knew you would be especially sad, and all who have read her books.

I did finish The Middle Place and started one that finally was put on Kindle by American Cancer Society/edited by Julie K Silver, MD, What Helped Me Get Through: Cancer Survivors Share Wisdom and Hope.

I read Still Missing and thought it was very good.. and I lucked into getting it for $2.99, too.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 6:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's sad to hear that a much loved author has passed away.

I finished reading The Hunger Games series awhile ago. I thoroughly enjoyed The Hunger Games. Unfortunately, I don't think the last two books were as good as the first. Mockingjay was particularly disappointing.

I don't want to spoil the books for anyone who hasn't read them yet so I'll put the following in a spoiler box.

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
All of the books are written in the first person and I found that Katniss' role became increasingly peripheral and introspective in Mockingjay. A lot of the final book consisted of her agonized thoughts while she was outside of the main action. So the reader spends a lot of time inside Katniss' head. Weeks pass while she remains recovering in a confused and often drug induced state, emotionally and physically devastated and frankly not doing a whole lot and then the book relies on a description of events to bring her (and the reader) up to date. Same with Peeta. One of the things that I love about the first book is there isn't a lot of the descriptive narrative which so often bogs down science fiction. We effortlessly experience the world through Katniss. That is lost in the third book.

As well, not that The Hunger Games could ever remotely be described as light fun material, the latter books tilted ever darker, darker and darker. What happened to Peeta was sad, frustrating and from a readers perspective boring. Plus Katniss' final mission ended up being totally futile, major characters die to no avail and with little opportunity for the reader to reflect on their deaths, I didn't like how the love triangle was resolved (although I liked the guy that she ended up with) and the whole conclusion was harsh, rushed and rather unsatisfying.

Finally, one of the things that I liked the most about The Hunger Games was the fact that the author had a strong female character in the leading role. However, Katniss didn't grow over the course of the third book but instead seemed to diminish and lose strength and the central dominant role that she had in the previous books. The best you can say is that she was pushed around and survived - badly scarred but functional enough to go on living a simple life (same with Peeta). It may be realistic but it wasn't what I wanted to read. Things were certainly much better than they had been in the past and would be even better for future children so that is good. However, I wanted more out of life for her and him. I wanted her to do more with her life.

So I loved the first book and I liked the second but the final book was pretty disappointing. Sorry if this seems harsh but it was a bit of a letdown.

Anyway, I'd still recommend the series.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 6:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
ITA Jimmer, the tone of the books kept changing on me, especially the last one. But all in all a great read.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I agree too, but just like with the Harry Potter books, the protagonist gets older and life gets grittier.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I totally agree. I still think they changed authors midstream.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, August 06, 2012 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I actually thought the third book was really good, but wasn't that thrilled with the second book.

I am now reading a good young adult novel entitled "The Wraith" by Edie Claire that I am totally engrossed in. Good summer read.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, August 06, 2012 - 3:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I somehow missed the news of Maeve Binchy's death. She was my favorite author. Her characters always seemed so alive and so vivid.
I have every one of her books and love to read them over and over. She will be very missed.

I had the same thoughts on the Hunger Games books. The first one felt so original, but by the second and third, I kind of think Yesitsme is right - it started feeling like a different author was writing. The third book especially. The tone was so different. Katniss went from being this incredibly strong woman to someone who weakly reacted to whatever happened.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, August 06, 2012 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Scout! Wonderful to see you here. Missed you.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 3:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Agree completely Scout (and Mameb.) Loved Maeve Binchy and hate that the lives of those characters stop with her. "And they lived happily ever after."

Reenie

06-24-2006

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I just finished 11/22/63. What an adventure that was and I loved the ending. Stephen King said his son didn't like the original ending so his son came up with the ending which was used.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished a book for review titled Four Sisters, All Queens by Sherry Jones. I don't usually read much historical fiction but I was fascinated by it. I had no idea there were four sisters who were reigning queens at one time.

I am reading another book for review, Have Mother, Will Travel by Claire and Mia Fontaine. They are on a worldwide scavenger hunt, kind of like Amazing Race without the cameras and stunts, doing it together as mother and daughter. It's told in both voices and it's highly entertaining.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the Am Cancer Society book.. good info, horrible formatting on kindle.

Started a novel, Stealing Jenny by Ellen Gable. I got it free, now $2.99. Lendable. Reviews label it Catholic fiction but so far that hasn't been an issue for me at all.. about the abduction of a pregnant mom of 5 (about ready to give birth).

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Edward Rutherfurd's NEW YORK. Historical fiction.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 5:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
I just finished a book recommended to me by a friend, it is "The Lost Wife" by Alyson Richman. This book moved me. Such a wonderful story. Very poignant and a cannot put down read!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Mame - I'll be very interested in your thoughts on New York. I read London, and I've read the sample of New York. I tend to love this epic style historical novels, but I haven't wanted to spend the money for it on Kindle yet.

Reading The Next Queen of Heaven by Gregory Maguire. Very different from his Wicked series, but I'm not far enough into it to decide if I like it or not.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, August 10, 2012 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Hiya Teach, so far I am enjoying it enormously. I thought it was going to be dry and dull, but it's not. Relatively engrossing. Not finished it yet... Glad I'm reading it on my KOBO as it's a BIG book. LOL

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Am reading "Making Rumours: The Inside Story of the Classic Fleetwood Mac Album" by Ken Caillat, the engineer and co-producer of the album. It's interesting but a bit heavy on recording detail (understandably given who wrote it, but descriptions of the looping process kind of made my eyes roll back in my head, and not in a good way). It's a slice of life regarding an album that figured loudly into many of our youths. I do recommend it, but I will compliment it by reading Stevie Nicks' autobiography and also probably the autobiography of Lindsay Buckingham's girlfriend, who expounds on his abusive nature (it figures into the "Making of Rumours" book, and it makes me sad because I am such a fan of his artistry on the guitar. But I'd rather know than not know).

I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Stealing Jenny was ok and the catholic theme not a problem, though I gather this author stays with that theme.. book takes place in Canada.

Starting . um.. another book.. my Kindle seems to have wandered off for the moment.. oddly another that must have a catholic theme going for it since some of the reviewers.. well among them was the Archbishop of Canterbury. A memoir with an alcoholic father involved.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Jesus, My Father, The CIA and Me: A Memoir ... of sorts by Ian Morgan Cron.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 10:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
The yellow crocus. But I think I've read it. Does that ever happen to anyone else?