TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 30, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 30, 2012 users admin

Willi

07-13-2000

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 8:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willi a private message Print Post    
Just finished The Shoemakers Wife by Adriana Trigiani. Loved it!

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 10:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
I wish we could list our lendable kindle books somehow!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 11:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
You can

I have thousands of kindle books and definitely not time to wade through them all.. I will try to note if books I list here are lendable from now on.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 12:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
what a great idea! like i would say: reading "The Help" from the library. I have always appreciated when I asked for a lendable book and was helped by a TVCH member. (THANK YOU ROXIP!)

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I started a new thread for lendable e-books so they can be more easily found.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
You are more than welcome. I will also try and post if I read a particularly good book, but since most of the books I read are from free Kindle most of you wouldn't probably be interested (or Bookbub, which has become a great resource or knowing what books are free on any given day from amazon!).

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/stargazing/
article/1228088--ron-moore-wants-to-bring-diana-gabaldon-s-outlander-to-tv

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 12:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I just finished a book that I had downloaded free from Amazon that I found surprisingly good. It is "The Ninth Step" by Barbara Taylor Sissel. I guess you would call it a romance, but there is a strong undercurrent of sadness and bittersweet-ness (yes, I know that isn't a proper term) that made it, to me, very compelling. I'm just happy I finished it before the battery in the Kindle ran out (which is also when I discovered that the cord that I thought I had a work that would connect my Kindle to my computer to recharge it wasn't the right one!).

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 12:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Ladybug (Leigh), I finished Call Me Tuesday tonight and I went through so many emotions while reading, and after. At certain times I just had to stop, and let what I just read sit, and then I would start up again.

I always use the phrase, “I need to swirl that in my glass for a while", when someone gives me a thinker in a conversation, and it fits the little breaks I took when reading your book. These “swirls” could be a minute or two, or much longer. So I am now doing one huge “swirl” of varied thoughts and emotions.

In my goofy way, I am trying to say WELL DONE!! I’m sure I will be “swirling” for days! I admire your talent. Thank you for sharing your story.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 1:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I know what you mean, Rieann. It took me days to process it all and I still, months later, find myself thinking about it.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 8:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I am reading Stephen King's latest, 11/22/63. I am so immersed in it and the characters, I dont want it to end! So I am rationing myself as to how much I will read a day--silly I know, but when its read, its over!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I do the same thing sometimes, Cablejockey.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Serious question...how? How do you ration how much you read? Where do you find the stregnth to say, "I'm going to read x pages/chapters and then stop for today?"

I get a new book in my hands, especially if it's something I've been waiting for or a book that's part of a series I've been reading, and I'm down right single minded in my quest to finish it! I've been known to warn family I won't be in touch for a few days cuz I've got a new book, lol, stay up all night, do everything (cooking, cleaning, etc) with book in hand. It's a big problem cuz I can't afford to keep myself in new books.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I sometimes do that, too with a book I just love so much.. (or like when I read Beverly Jenkin's first book in her Blessings series.. I did wallow but I quickly bought the other books in the series and pre-ordered the next one (and now am wishing it was next year for her upcoming next one).

War, I was mostly like that.. stay up all night, etc. But I have to admit that since I'm older, most nights when I have to be out the next morning to pick up a patient, I do tend to shut off the light.. AND my eyes get tireder, faster. I guess that saves me a bit on books, though I have literally more than I can read in the rest of my lifetime.. on Kindle and off Kindle.

Addicted to reading, but I think it is a good addiction.

Cable, at least it is a nice, long book!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 1:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I read very fast but I'm very bad about deliberately stalling when I read and trying to save books. I have this ludicrous fear of running out of reading material.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I like to savour books too, but some are real page-turners. I guess it depends on the book. If I really like a good book I get sad when I come near the end and know eventually it will be over. (That's WHY I enjoy series books so much. That way there are at least 3 or 4 in the series to read and that makes me happy.)

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I have this ludicrous fear of running out of reading material.

I used to, but I've downloaded so many free books on my Kindle (and continue to do so), that I don't think I will ever read them all.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 3:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes to savour a book! How do I ration it? I give myself half an hour before sleep, or before I have to do something to get some reading done. My favorite place is the back yard patio with the flowers around me, the birds and my little pond's waterfall gurgling away!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Cable that sounds so idyllic and lovely. Lucky you!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh that sounds wonderful, Cable!

I should make a point of reading more of the classics, Merry. They're free as well.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 7:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished A Thousand Voices by Jen Parker (see lendable thread) and started The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan, a family memoir/cancer memoir (not lendable).

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 8:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed The Middle Place.

I am reading Faithful Place by Tana Franch. I have the next book, Broken Harbor, to review this next week and I still had Faithful Place sitting on my massive pile.

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 10:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
I've got mosquitos in my back yard this year. My cozy spot is in the sunroom in the recliner but I have to fight the pugs for it!

I am on my last book in Mary Daheim's Alpine series and the next book The Alpine Xanadu doesn't come out until Jan 2013. I understand that the ghost town Alpine, WA has become a tourist visit. Right up there with Forks, WA (Twilight series),Roslyn, WA (Northern Exposure) and Snoqualmie Falls (Twin Peaks)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 30, 2012 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mamie, I'm almost done and it was well worth reading. I might have even gotten the title from you but I bought it when it was $1.99 for a day on Kindle..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 30, 2012 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I just heard that Maeve Binchy has died. She was 72.