TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 23, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 23, 2012 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 9:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty and I liked it very much.. not a cookie cutter plot at all. I think this is the second of her books I've read and she's a good writer. and I got it for $2.99.. back up to over $12 ...

Now starting a book by a local columnist here in Orange County.. Notorious OC by Larry Welborn..

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, July 16, 2012 - 7:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Two questions -

Did someone here mention "Gone?" What did you think about it?

"The Paris Wife" has been proposed for our book club. It is about Hemingway's first wife. I don't usually care for non-fiction. Any opinions?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, July 16, 2012 - 7:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I think it's a fictional take on Hemingway's first wife. I have it on my TBR pile. I think Escapee read it and disliked it.

I am reading The Age of Miracles. I've only heard raves about it.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, July 16, 2012 - 8:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
The Paris Wife drug on. It wasn't exciting.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, July 16, 2012 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Escapee! I will lobby for a mystery book alternative!!

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Monday, July 16, 2012 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
I am almost caught up with the Mary Daheim Alpine series. She started out with Alpine Advocate and went on down the alphabet. I am on Alpine Uproar. Then comes Alpine Vengeance and she better get busy and write the next one! Of course it is a cozy mystery about a single mother who bought a small local newspaper in Alpine, WA. Lots of characters and lots of scenery. It is fun to have places that I am familiar with be written in the books.

Marysafan

08-07-2000

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marysafan a private message Print Post    
HI Gang! I haven't been around in a while and have really enjoyed catching up with all that you are reading!

Lately, I've read "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou and loved it. Then "The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" and REALLY LOVED IT!!! Then "Motor City" by Bill Harris (?) and liked that a lot. Then one of those books I was always going to read "some day" "Tales of the South Pacific" by James Michener (the book that South Pacific the musical is based on) and really loved that one as well.

I didn't want to leave the South Pacific Islands just yet so I looked around to see what else I might have and found a book that Heyitslori sent me awhile back called "Neptune's Inferno" a non-fiction book about the battle of Guadalcanal (which is right up my military history loving alley)...so I am presently learning a lot about that event and enjoying it very much.

I am doing well and enjoying the summer. Keep on reading! Miss you guys!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I read the Maya Angelou book years ago...it was marvelous. I got to see her speak once live too and she was (and I am sure still is) an amazing woman.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Oh, Superg! I think you have given me a whole new LONG series to read! Such a gift!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Hi, Mary! Great to see you and no surprise you are still reading!

I've read that Maya Angelou and also listened to her reading of it, though that was abridged, which is absurd.. but still, fabulous with her reading it.

Maya had a PBS program on KQED in San Francisco in the sixties and we used to watch it the year I was up there as a married student and had a tv. She already had a great speaking voice, but was much younger, of course.

I finished Notorious OC and it was okay and I was familiar with many of the cases, the discussion of each was pretty brief.

Now readina a novel Out of Time by Deborah Truscott, which I got recently when it was free; it is back up to $2.99 now.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Just started "Inside Out Girl" by Tish Cohen

Happymom

01-20-2003

Friday, July 20, 2012 - 9:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Almost done with Catching Fire and have book 3 of the trilogy waiting. can't wait to see how all this will turn out. Liked Hunger Games book better than the movie. (saw movie first)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 8:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

I am soooooooooo loving this book. Savouring it. A few pages a day.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 8:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Out of Time by Deborah Truscott and enjoyed it very much.. time travel involved (there is a series by another author with the same name, but this is not it) and she is writing a sequel.

I got it when it was free but the regular $2.99 price is well worth it.

And, it is lendable on kindle, if anyone is interested.

Now starting A Thousand Voices by Jen Parker. Also got this one when it was free; back up to $9.99 now (though it is on the free for Prime list).

No verdict yet, but when I'm done, this book is also lendable.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Just finished The Help and loved it. I had seen the movie, but wanted to read the book. Now to find something new!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I just finally saw the movie yesterday, loved the book!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Landi - any chance you've also read Poisonwood Bible? My son is in my AP class, and since he took a College English class last year, he's already read PB. The rest of the class hasn't, so I was thinking of the Help as a substitute for him. He's very interested in history, so I don't think he'll mind that it's a "chick flick" kind of book.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I loved the Inside Out Girl by Tish Cohen. A really good read.

Started The Chatham School Affair by Thomas H Cook.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 1:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Has anyone read any of Patrick Taylor's books? If so what did you think of them?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 2:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I did not like The Age of Miracles. Yet another book that didn't live up to it's hype for me.

I am now reading Jennifer Weiner's new one, The Next Best Thing.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Teach, I haven't read that book. It isn't free as an Amazon Kindle selection, or in my local library's kindle books. I'll keep looking unless anyone has a copy I can kindle borrow?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Landi,

I have it on Kindle, but it's not lendable. :-( Nuts! I have about 20 copies at school, but not a single one at home that I could even pop in the mail to you! (although, if you're like me, I rarely read dead tree books any more! LOL)

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
you're right Teach, i don't seem to read books that aren't on the kindle. I never seemed to get around to reading the paperbacks I would buy, but the kindle goes EVERYWHERE with me!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Exactly! I have at least 40 books between two nightstands, but I read from my Kindle constantly. Since there are 400 books there, it may be a year or two after I retire before the other 40 books get read! LOL

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I still have a couple hundred books that I haven't read that are not kindle and I just keep reading on my kindle.. I do read dead tree books if I'm in a bookcrossing bookring or bookray, but that's it.

I get and read a ton of books when they are free, but do pay for books as well.. just not that many and not the expensive ones so much.