TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 28, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 28, 2012 users admin

Ladybug

06-10-2012

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 9:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladybug a private message Print Post    
You are so right, Roxip! Disgusting creatures! I hold Paterno equally to blame, and anyone else who may have had suspicion of what was going on!

Denecee

09-05-2002

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
I already shared that I read the "Fifty Shades of Grey" triolgy. It wasn't a favorite of mine but I did like the little escape from reality that it provided. The sex scenes were at times too much, but I liked the love story and learning why Christian was so f'd up.
With Ana being a 21 yr old virgin, I think these books are for men as much as they are for women.

My husband is the one who turned me onto the book, lol. silly man

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
My Dh would have loved the books, too.

Ladybug

06-10-2012

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 9:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladybug a private message Print Post    
Escapee- I am not normal. I have many emotional issues. I am semi-reclusive. I like everyone, but I have only one true friend that I trust. I have let my kids (who are now grown and on their own, one heading to college this fall) run all over me because I was afraid to discipline them when they were younger. This is my third marriage, and God only knows how my husband puts up with my moods. Sometimes I drink a little too much wine and cry for no reason. I prefer to be alone most of the time. I get my feelings hurt at the drop of a dime. My co-workers know this and are very protective of me. I could go on, but I don't want to bore you.

As far as the anger, I once harbored my share of it. Guess you could say I was mad at the world--certainly everyone in my family for not helping me. But the anger was controling me in a way that was making me miserable, and after many years I learned to let go of it. You want to hear something strange. It kind of helps that I made the book "fiction" because I can pretend it all happened to someone else--someone named Tuesday Storm.

Thanks for passing my book on to someone you care for. And I would SO appreciate a review on Amazon!! It's been a while since anybody has posted one. Thanks for taking the time to communicate your feelings and opinions to me.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I am not normal. I have many emotional issues. I am semi-reclusive. I like everyone, but I have only one true friend that I trust. I have let my kids (who are now grown and on their own, one heading to college this fall) run all over me because I was afraid to discipline them when they were younger. This is my third marriage, and God only knows how my husband puts up with my moods. Sometimes I drink a little too much wine and cry for no reason. I prefer to be alone most of the time. I get my feelings hurt at the drop of a dime. My co-workers know this and are very protective of me. I could go on, but I don't want to bore you.

You just described so many people (many who I know personally)that are the same way, but did not go through what you went through. By normal I mean you can communicate your story, post here, and share your feelings with us. You are probably more normal than LOTS Of people and they don't have a good reason or excuse, and anything you want to share is NOT boring.

I am not sure if you know this, but right here at TVCH we have a thread called "A Caring Place" in my opinion you can get better therapy from a wide range of 'professionals' than you can get anywhere else, LOL. Of course, my opinion...

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I think the issues you describe are very normal considering what you went through (sorry, what Tuesday went through!). I'm sure writing the story was therapeutic in its own way...and you were very smart to realize that you were letting the anger control you in lieu of you controlling it!

Ladybug

06-10-2012

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladybug a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Escapee I will check it out...

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Yes, so many people failed Tuesday and I am so very sorry to say that I was one of those people. You see, Leigh is my sister-in-law. Leigh was probably 14 or 15 when I met her, at the tail end of the story, and by this time the family had gotten very good at concealing the family secrets.

I knew that Leigh and her mother didn't get along at all and I chalked it up to the usual teenage/parent stuff that goes on in a lot of households at that age. I easily recognized that her mother was a witch but again I thought it was just her and the fact that she had a drinking problem. I was a member of the family for 18 years and I swear I never had a clue of what went on. When I read the book, I cried for the child that I hadn't helped, I was physically sick for several days and I still haven't completely come to terms with it, I don't know that I ever will.

I have been very fortunate to be able to reconnect with Leigh after so many years and I marvel at the wonderful woman she has become, not because of but in spite of all the horrendous things that happened to her. I know that through her book she will make people "look a little closer" at the relationships around them and that it will help other children.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
TVCH needs a like button, especially for your last paragraph. I hope that the exposure this book gets (and I will help it's exposure any way I can (shared it twice today)) will help bring awareness to situations and hopefully save/help these types of situations!

Ladybug

06-10-2012

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladybug a private message Print Post    
Jackie, please don't blame yourself. I can see how you wouldn't have known what was going on. Besides, by the time you came around the worst of it was over anyway. And, at the time, you were so in love with my brother you would have never dreamed he'd have allowed something like that, right?

And Escapee, I've been trying to push that "like" button around here too, but it seems to not be working!

Your review on Amazon was amazing!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just finished the fourth book of C.L. Wilson's series about Tairen Souls, "Queen of Song and Souls", and I'm starting the final book in the series immediately, "Crown of Crystal Flame". I'm actually a little sad that it's the last book. My daughter is loving them, too. These are pretty good books!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 2:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I always hate it when I start the last book of a really great series...it is almost like losing a good friend, isn't it?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 3:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Jackie, first husband?? I know it is hard, but try not to hold onto blame.. what you know now undoubtedly has helped open your eyes to the benefit of anyone you may be watching over.

I've always felt "lucky" that my abuse, while it was literally sadistic torture, was at the hands of a group that did not include my parents.. the blame goes to people at my school for letting it happen and being too afraid, threatened or uncaring and not helping, but I still went home to my family. My silence was to protect them as there were threats of great harm to my brother or parents if I said a word.. but that was assured by shattering into parts that kept those secrets until I was well into my 30s.

Having my non abusive family was wht kept me functioning (and all my insiders too).

Leigh, there is a concept that Lenore Terr wrote about in her book Strong at the Broken Places.. that sometimes it is some small times of hope that a child stores internally and that allows them to endure so much more than one could imagine. (she did long term studies on the children who were buried in the bus in Chowchilla, CA). Christine Oksana (a multiple ritual abuse survivor who wrote a book who I met a few times) spoke of the love in her sister's eyes that kept her from dying of her abuse, which started when she was still in a crib.

In your case, I'm thinking of the early kindness in your life and then your father cooking breakfast, the summers away, the school mates wo DID accept you, even the one mom calling COPS.. and those, along with your own strength got you through the unspeakable treatment. And I am sure glad you did make it and then write about it.

Also a parallel with Shirley Mason ("Sybil") in that her mother was mentally ill and diagnosed as such, but her father still allowed her complete access to this little girl..

I'm not quite done but very close. Not much waiting room time today. I've had more anger than tears but no surprise at what was done to yet another child .. frstration with CPS for sure.

Of course foster car isn't always sweetness and light.

Leigh, you might like a series of books I've read and TNT is about to read the latest one..

The Blessings series by Beverly Jenkins.. on Kindle or in paperback..

There are four books so far and she is writing a fifth.. and I suspect that, like me, you will just so much want to go live in the town and help with the dream.. and wish you had been whisked away there, back then.

Start with Bring on the Blessings

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_tc_2_0?rh=i%3Astripbooks%2Ck%3ABeverly+Jenkins&keywords=Beverly+Jenkins&ie=UTF8&qid=1340836481&sr=1-2-ent&field-contributor_id=B000APIFDO

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Yes, Sea, it was my first husband. I want to make it very clear that I was not talking about Draheid. He would never have allowed something like this to happen, much less take a part in it. I think most of you know him well enough to know he is a very caring, giving person.

Leigh, I know I've said it to you before, but I really can't thank you enough for being you. That you can forgive me for not seeing what was right in front of me at the time gives testament to how far you have come from that terrible place.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well I KNEW it wasn't Draheid!! I definitely know him well enough to know that.. I just was making sure that those who may not know, would know.

Ladybug

06-10-2012

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 5:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladybug a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Sea--I will look into Beverly Jenkins' offerings... Right now, I don't have much reading time because when I'm not working my real job, I'm so busy trying to promote the book...but the Blessings series will be next on my list.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I am a voracious and RAPID reader, so I am limiting my time with "A Wish and a Prayer" to make it last over a two-day period.

I have always said that if I won the lottery - which is not likely to happen since I don't play it! - I would use it for my community's benefit. Since I don't have the money, I gladly give what I do have which is my time!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Ladybug- I just went and purchased your book based upon all the beautiful things written here, I will have my kleenex handy.

Several friends and I used to go on a camping trip every June. The rules were, we just read, eat, sit by the lake, and drink. At the campfire each night we would discuss the books we had passed around. Your book would have been perfect. We stopped the tradition, but I will pass your book along to the gang.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Has anyone read any books by Debra Webb? She is in the suspense and thriller genre. I read some favorable reviews and thought I would give them a try. The two I have are Obsessed and Impulse. A series with the same main character.

I was just wondering if someone could give me a heads up on what they thought. Thanks!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 9:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Best reading ever...sitting on the banks of the Guadalupe River under a big old live oak tree, watching people float by enjoying the beauty that is that wonderful river...or early in the morning, just me, the river and a great cup of coffee! I feel a vacation coming on soon!

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 9:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Rieann, That sounds like my kind of vacation. I haven't read Debra Webb but I enjoy a lot of the suspense/thriller books so I'll look for her.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 11:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well, I finished.. Rieann, as you suppose, you won't be disappointed with your purchase and with the reading experience and emotions will run the gamut from revulsion to celebration.. you'll want to reach into the book or reader and make things better. I wanted mom to be whisked into treatment and dad to be surrounded by al-anon folks to stop the worst form of enabling.. passivity in the face of what was done to that little girl AND brothers, because that was abusive for them to have that role model. Wanted to shake up the school and community. Wanted to hug the two girls who did reach out as much as they did. So much more.

That tree and river sound like the BEST!!

I'm on to the second in the series I started recently. But I'm jealous of TNT for at least haveing two days of the fourth Blessings book.

Leigh, I know you are busy but the Blessings books are just that.. a blessing of an idea, sure they are fantasy in many ways, but I still want to go live there! And I want kids to have that place to go. I'm so thankful that the first book was free (when I bought it) because i didn't mind one bit paying full price for the others and the first is well worth it too. And hopefully many libraries have them, as TNT found in Nashville.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 8:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Wow Sea, this really seems like a book that stays with you.

Our camping/reading group read a book called Blackbird by Jennifer Lauck that had a similar effect. We wanted to drive down to Oregon (we're in Seattle), sit down and have some tea, and make sure she was really ok after what she went through. We might do a road rip to find Ladybug! just kidding... maybe not

Ladybug

06-10-2012

Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladybug a private message Print Post    
Rieann Thank you so much for giving my book a chance!

I love the idea of a camping trip/reading and discussion group. How clever--you must have great friends! Bring the group on over to Indiana--we'll talk...

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
How far back in this thread is the name of Ladybug's book? I can't find it!