TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 27, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 27, 2012 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, June 25, 2012 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am reading an advance copy of The After Wife by Gigi Levangie Grazier. Light fun reading.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Monday, June 25, 2012 - 8:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Teach, back in late April you said "Eg - don't be confused with Dragonfly. You'll be sure that it is NOT the next book when you start reading, but I guarantee it is! The whole series is my favorite set of books - but Voyager (the third) is my all-time favorite. Once you've read it, I'll share why. "

Okay, I just finished Voyager....please share why it's your all-time favorite. I am throwing out a guess here... your real first name is Claire, your dh is named James and you two have a daughter named Brianna or Marsali and two sons named Ian and Fergus. LOL!! I really, really, really enjoyed this book!!

Ladybug

06-10-2012

Monday, June 25, 2012 - 8:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladybug a private message Print Post    
Tnt, you are from Nashville? (I should have figured that--TN Titan fan--duh!) I love Nashville! I lived there a great part of my childhood. I remember my grandmother taking me to Centennial Park, and the Parthenon on the weekends. I have an aunt who lives on Granny White Pike. I was actually born in Columbia, a small neighboring town, but I spent my summers in Nashville. I still cherish my memories made there, which I write about in my book--the one that Sea is reading...

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, June 25, 2012 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Ladybug - I read your entire book today. WOW! Your story is powerful and I will definitely be sharing it!

Ladybug

06-10-2012

Monday, June 25, 2012 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladybug a private message Print Post    
Teach--you make my heart sing!! Thank you for sharing

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 25, 2012 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oops.. I meant the Parthenon!!

Yes, I'm at that part and wanting you to just STAY there..

If I didn't have so much driving today and other errands and then a demanding cat, I'd be reading now too..

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, June 25, 2012 - 9:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Eg - two reasons: 1. Reunion sex - 'nuff said.
2. Fergus and Marsali's wedding on the beach, with the sheep and the drunk priest. I laughed SO hard at that section - and I use it all the time w/my writing classes (in a bit of an edited form) to show how effective descriptions can be! (The idea of Jamie as a pirate rates it pretty high up there, too!)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Okay, now I'm going to go and download Ladybug's book to my Kindle.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I haven't read the "Fifty Shades of Grey" books either...I'm usually not overly prudish but what I have heard about these books doesn't make me desire to read them. Doesn't seem like I'm missing a whole heck of a lot.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Roxip here is what I've discerned about them: People who do not read very often, or don't read good books often (by good, I mean well written, good stories, and well edited)like them. They consist of terrible editing, ridiculous repetition, and a stupid, ridiculous, unrealistic storyline. I'd equate it to the Twilight saga: milquetoast heroine (much like Bella) and a 'horrible for her' guy, but it's ok because he's hot (Like Edward) and in the case of Grey, super rich. Now, unlike Twilight, they've added in a lot of kinky-ness, mental illness, and deep rooted mommy issues. Along with that, it is a stupid story and the main character is a horrible person and the girl is a doormat.

I think for others, it's an excuse to read erotica without getting 'caught' (no bodice ripping on the cover) or it's been made ok to read erotica because everyone else is doing it. You can't just skim over the sex parts because they are in every chapter. I don't mind some sex in a book, especially if it's pertinent to the story, but this is over the top by 10 miles and disgusting to boot. Did I mention badly written? Furthermore, the book is immature and chalked full of VERY unrealistic sexual scenarios. As if it was written by a very hopeful 15 year old virgin or a man who's wife/girlfriend is a GOOD faker and he assumes that this is the way women work. It's just not realistic by medical and physical standards.

Again, I didn't understand the hype.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I was one of the few people on the planet who didn't care for the Twilight books...I have read the first two but just couldn't get into them...although I must admit that I sucked The Hunger Games down like there was no tomorrow!

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I didn't care for them much either, but I could understand why tweenagers and teens alike would like them.
I loved the Hunger Games, too.

Ladybug

06-10-2012

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladybug a private message Print Post    
Escapee--Wow! you should take your discussion of "50 Shades" to Goodreads to some of the writers forums I frequent. They would all probably give you a collective "YAY!!"

Did you know that "50 Shades" was originally fan fiction for "Twilight." I'm sure the answer is yes given the analogy you made. Anyway I'm impressed, and I totally agree.

Oh, and one more thing; I too always have a pile of laundry in my bedroom, begging to be put away...I usually ignore it, though;).

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Thanks Ladybug! Your book is next on my list!

Ladybug

06-10-2012

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladybug a private message Print Post    
I'm honored, Escapee! Don't be too hard on me...

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 5:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I managed to avoid all the Twilight, certainly all the shades .. but yeah, read the Hunger Games Trilogy right in order all at once.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 6:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I finished Ladybug's book. I'm not sure I can discuss it now...it struck such a deep chord of sadness. Beautifully written but so hard to read.

My own mother, who is now 80, has been diagnosed with congestive heart failure, and I fear that one the side effects is a change in her personality. This book reminded me of her, although of course my sister and I are both grown, middled-aged women (oh, and I just got where you got your screen name...I'm pretty dense at times!). But losing the security of that person who was always your mother...no matter at what time...is still traumatic. My heart breaks for the little girl whose trust was so horribly removed from her.

For somebody who didn't have anything to say I sure didn't shut up, did I?

Ladybug

06-10-2012

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 6:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladybug a private message Print Post    
Roxip, Thank you for your kind words--you just don't know how much I needed to read them today...

No matter our age, we are still very much little girls when it comes to needing our mothers. There is something terribly frightening about having the living body of someone you love still in front of you, knowing that the essence of the person you once knew is no longer in there. I feel for you, sweetheart. Thank you, again, for sharing your feelings with me. Some days it's what keeps me going...

Egbok

07-13-2000

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Okay Ladybug, I did finish "Voyager" and I'll be starting your book next. I'm telling my heart to hold on because it's going to be a bumpy ride and may awaken some old feelings. However, I do look forward to reading your book because I'm no longer that little girl and forgiveness took place many years ago.

Teach, thanks for sharing why "Voyager" is your favorite of the series. I tell you, there were some evenings when I'd be reading and then I'd start laughing and laughing; dh would look at me with amusement...heh, he's my Jaime.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 6:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Just finished "A Queer and Pleasant Danger: The True Story of a Nice Jewish Boy Who Joins the Church of Scientology and Leaves Twelve Years Later to Become the Lovely Lady She is Today." Kate Bronstein has led a different life, that's for sure. Transsexual lesbian who is/was into sado-masochism. I thought the book would be more about her experiences inside of and in leaving Scientology, but that was just a thing she did; the book is more about her journey through her sexuality. It is well organized and amiably written. She warns you before things get too graphic (and tells you which page to skip to if you're not interested in the details). It's an interesting read, just different than I was expecting. I wouldn't read it again, though.

Listening to "Sister Queens: The Noble, Tragic Lives of Katherine of Aragon and Juana, Queen of Castile" by Julia Fox. The book is mesmerizing, and it was made more interesting by reading "Henry VII" during the same period of time I began listening to the cds. The Sister Queens is a bit heavy on detail, though - I don't really need to know what Katherine wore at every function she attended. More interesting is the story of Juana the Mad, Queen of Castile and Aragon. The book takes the position that Juana was not insane in the least, but was subjected to imprisonment and deprivation by the men around her (father and son) who wanted her crown(s). I think the more accepted position is that she was manic depressive as opposed to insane. She certainly suffered inordinate heartache and hardship.

Ladybug

06-10-2012

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 6:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladybug a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Goddessatlaw, for sharing your review of "A Queer and Pleasant Danger." It sounds intriguing, certainly original.

I know what you mean when you speak of too much detail in "Sister Queens." Some authors seem to get caught up in detail and start rambling when they need to just get on with it! I must admit that I am guilty of skipping over blocks of description to get to the meat of the story.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 7:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Ladybug, I finished your book. I opened it and read it cover to cover in about 3 hours. Anytime a book evokes certain types of emotion, I consider it a good book.
Throughout, I wanted to reach through the book, grab Tuesday, feed her, bathe her, tell her she was beautiful, and that I loved her. I wanted to play with her, see her smile, and I wanted to push her mom back down the flight of stairs, then have dad tumble down after (I have an 8 year old, and can't imagine her going through this kind of emotional, physical, and mental abuse). I was so angry throughout and just wanted the abuse to stop so badly. My heart ached for Tuesday and the other children out there that grow up with this kind of fear, at the hands of those who were supposed to protect them. I couldn't figure out why she never told her Grandma or Aunt while she was little.

I went out at about 10 PM and hugged both my babies, told them I loved them and that they were beautiful. After I was done, and while I was reading, I couldn't stop crying. I had to blame it on PMS when my DH asked what the heck was the matter with me.

So, Bravo to you for writing a book that draws the reader in, grabs on to their heart, makes it ache, rejoices in little victories, and has them praying throughout that things will get better for this precious baby. It was very cathartic.

Ladybug

06-10-2012

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 8:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladybug a private message Print Post    
Escapee I am speechless, literally speechless. I cannot believe how you "felt" my story. You think the emotion this book evoked is due to my ability as a writer. But you are wrong; it is actually because of the person YOU are, obviously a loving, compassionate mother.

I have a confession: I was a bit nervous about what you would think of the book. After having read some of your other posts and book reviews, I grew to value your opinion as a critic. For the past day, because I've gotten used to most people reading it in one sitting (I hope that doesn't mean it's too simple), I've been obsessively checking this forum for your response.

There are a couple of more things I want to say. First, although the book has been slightly fictionalized (mostly the names, locals, etc.), I am Tuesday, and all of the abuse you read about is absolutely 100% true according to my memory. So I can tell you why I never told my grandma and aunt. It doesn't make any sense now, but, I guess I thought they already knew, that it was the reason why I lived with them every summer. Daddy never came right and told me they knew, but he implied it. They saw the bruises on my body. I just think they didn't realize how bad it was. And I don't think they wanted to know because then they would have to do something. They loved Daddy so much and they didn't want to break up our family. You know, he would have gotten into big trouble too if it all came out.

Do you mind if I post your review on my FB page and maybe my website? It is beautifully written and compelling.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 8:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
That firmly-held tradition of silence and "keeping things in the family" - how many children have suffered because of it? I grew up in a household like that, although of course not an abusive one.

There were so many allies in this abuse - the father, first and foremost - and then the brothers. The oldest was certainly old enough to know better. Even the grandmother and aunt could have lobbied for Tuesday to spend the school years with them...they knew something was bad, but they didn't ask. Same with the aunt on the mother's side. Not to mention countless teachers and a social worker. There was something clearly not right with this child and yet there was a pattern of "not seeing" because they didn't want to.

Thank goodness for the people who do choose to see and act on it. I would rather have a visit from CPS for no reason than for a child to be endangered because people were afraid to get involved!

Imagine how things would have been different in the lives of a whole bunch of young men if Joe Paterno hadn't turned a blind eye to the obvious evidence of what Sandusky was doing. There isn't a hell deep enough for those men.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 9:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Yes, by all means. Add in I think it is beautifully written and effortlessly flows into an unforgettable story.
I will be writing an Amazon review also and I lent it to my friend also and said "Get a box of tissue and then go hug your baby girl!"

Ladybug, I am so sorry for what you went through. I was so terribly heartsick for you the entire book. I have to ask, bluntly because I don't know how else to ask, how are you normal? Your strength is astounding and amazing! I didn't sense bitterness, anger, or retaliation (everything I felt toward your parents during the book), just hope and love for the woman who is your mother and you held onto that hope when it would have been so easy to let go. Sorry I said I wanted to push your parents down the stairs.