TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 22, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: How are you reading it (reading on various devices)?: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 22, 2012 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 6:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Okay, but I would go on Amazon.com and start figuring out which books I was going to order...LOL!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And if it is already registered to your Amazon Account.. you can start snagging free books or buying them.

======

Gold Box Deal of the Day is refurb Kindle Fire for $139 (has the same warranty as a new one but you cannot buy an extended warranty) same customer service, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox?ref_=pe_36900_23211500

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
2 and a wake-up...lol Perfect timing for it, too. My younger daughter has choral contest Saturday, and it'll keep me occupied during the 2-hour gap between performance times. tick-tock-tick-tock

Gidget

07-28-2002

Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 7:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gidget a private message Print Post    
Is anyone using free kindle reader ap for pc from Amazon?

I'm not looking for free books. There are books I would like to buy that are only being offered now in e-reader format and I do not have a Kindle in my near future.

So any users? Pros? Cons?

Back in the day, freeware meant poor performance and security risks. Usually they were all about the upsell.

I have not d/l anything free in years.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I use the free Kindle app on my laptop when there's a lull at work. I prefer reading my Kindle, but the app works fine. It's just hard to remember not to scroll down the page as I read like I do with documents.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I have it on both of my laptops - I use the one at school when there is a passage in a book I want to share w/my class. Then it's only a matter of turning on the projector and voila! W/the smartboard, I can even underline, cirlce or write on it as we read. The sepia color is a bit easier on my eyes if I'm reading at home and charging the actual Kindle. I also like the app for reading cookbooks - more space so it's a bit easier to use than my Kindle.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have the app on my computer but have never needed to use it.

And some excellent books will be free for a day or so..

Now, for Kindle Fire, there is also the free app of the day, sometimes a really good one, all too often just a game. And then lots of other free or reasonable apps too.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Friday, March 30, 2012 - 8:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
We've decided to go with the Blackberry Playbook. Price was a definite factor (I'm out of work for the first time in 27 yrs). Thank you for all the info. I'll definitely check out Chapters on line site for books, our library also has a lot of titles. I'm lugging around a 650 pg hardcover right now, a reader will be a big change!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 30, 2012 - 11:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
You will love it when you read a huge book and it is not heavy at all :-) I've read several books over 1000 pages each and it always pleases me.

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 5:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
That's what I'm looking forward to, Sea. No more lugging huge King books to doctors offices. It's almost here-I think I hear them plotting now...lol

Gidget

07-28-2002

Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gidget a private message Print Post    
Thank you for the app advice. I got it and bought the book I needed.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Stephen King.. oh yeah.. and he has a pink Kindle.. though I assume he has newer kindles if he wants them. But he has the only pink Kindle which was his payment for writing the exclusive for Kindle novelette which featured a unique kindle.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 8:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
That's a hoot about the pink Kindle. I didn't know that Sea, but I did listen to that King book on CD - I think it was called UR (?).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It was.

pinkkindle

Of course it was a Kindle 2..

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, April 06, 2012 - 8:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Woooohoooooo!! A bunch of books in Spanish just went live on Kindle. I got Zorro (Allende) for under $5! Lots of good stuff and a fun way to brush up your Spanish. :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 9:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
DOJ sues Apple over price-fixing scheme
By David Goldman

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The U.S. Department of Justice on Wednesday brought a lawsuit against Apple and several publishing companies over a scheme to fix e-book prices.

The suit stems from the 2010 release of the iPad, when Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) reached an agreement with five publishers to release books on its then-new iBookstore. The DOJ said Apple colluded to raise the price of e-books with CBS's (CBS, Fortune 500) Simon & Schuster, News Corp.'s (NWS) HarperCollins; Hachette Book Group; Pearson's (PSO) Penguin unit and Macmillan.

more at the link ...

http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/11/technology/apple-doj-ebooks/index.htm?hpt=hp_bn11

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 9:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Bluejax...how do you like your Kindle? My niece and I went in together and bought a Fire for my sister (of course my niece is my sister's daughter) for her birthday (next week). I had it delivered to my niece's house and yesterday received a notification of a download on my Kindle account so I emailed her and asked her if she was playing with her Mom's Kindle. Her response: DUH! LOL! Since her Mom doesn't have wi-fi at home I told her to go ahead and download everything from my account to that Kindle. That way she will at least have a start on what to read (all the Hunger Games books for instance) and some games to play.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Interesting article, Jimmer..

Actually it is inaccurate, I think, in saying that previously "Amazon forced publishers to sell most books at $9.99 -- a price that came in below the cost of the books." Actually, the result of the collusion was that Amazon was forced to sell books at the price set by the publishers, when previously they had set their own price for sale, even if it meant taking a loss on certain titles, presumably making it up in sales volume and sales of kindles, covers, etc. Steve Jobs didn't want to compete and engineered the price fixing scheme.. and of course also had stated that the dedicated e-reader was dead, anyway.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I've downloaded and am enjoying The Collected Works of Louisa May Alcott (Unexpurgated Edition) on my Kobo Vox. I THOUGHT I had scored a great deal, when I only paid 2.88 Cdn., through Kobo, but you guys can dl it from Amazon for an even better deal of 1.99 US !!!

http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Unexpurgated-Edition-Classics-ebook/dp/B002HJ2HEE

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mame! I've always loved Louisa May Alcott!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 7:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Most of her books are available for free on Amazon (and I'm sure other stores as well.. but a collection can be handy, just to keep all the works in one place (virtually).

===

Mame, with your KOBO Vox, it might be that you can load the Amazon App and then be able to download from the Amazon store (not sure about wireless) when the price is right there.

I know if I wanted to I can sideload the Nook app to my Fire and use the BN store and it may well be that I could get an app for kobo too, haven't checked.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
You might want to look into Kobo. I think their pricing is very competitive.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I just haven't heard that there is an app and not sure about accessing from US.. the Nook app has to be sideloaded and I haven't sideloaded an app so far. I have so many apps I haven't used at all. Mostly I just read and I use Calengoo, which synchs so nicely to the google calendar on my PC, so that is quite useful.. and when I'p upstairs I use the fire to read my email and do some browsing

And I have SO many books, like in excess of a couple thousand, with many to read.. but I should look into it when I do pop for a full price book. If the lawsuit is successful, Amazon may be able to return to $9.99 as the gold standard for a new book. Not that I limit myself.. if it is an author I respect and like and I would have bought the book in hardback in the past, I may buy.. Stephen King, for instance. I have been wanting Norman Mailer's The Executioner's Song for a long time on Kindle.. I read it in paperback and it was SO big.. and finally.. I've had it on pre-order for awhile.

Incognito

04-21-2012

Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Incognito a private message Print Post    
No money & old fashioned. The library & hardbacks are the way for me! I always have a book in my hand everywhere that I go.