TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 07, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 07, 2012 users admin

Wargod

07-16-2001

Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 10:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Did ya'll see the clip of Ellen doing the audio reading for it? That was pretty funny too.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes.. it was posted here at some point and was funny! But I think Ellen would also love the "Amazon" clip..

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 7:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I think I just barely caught a news glimpse that FL public libraries have banned"Fifty Shades of Gray!" Anybody else hear that?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Just finished A Red Ruby Heart in a Cold Blue Sea, can't remember the author's name, but I really enjoyed it.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 11:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Mamie, I just googled the author for you: Morgan Callan Rogers

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just wrote my review and got the name but thanks! My mind is just not working very well these days.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
(((((Mamie)))))

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I have a book club/online friend who successfully fought a library that pulled 50 Shades off the shelf. See the story here: http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20120529/NEWS01/305280035/50-shades-grey-e-l-james-erotic-novel

Not sure if this is the same thing you heard, but logic prevailed in this situation!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, June 04, 2012 - 8:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Finished Delirium by Lauren Oliver. It's a YA book about love being considered a disease and all kids are "altered" at 18 to not feel any emotion like love. It was just okay for me.

I am reading Calling Invisible Women by Jeanne Ray now. It's about a 50-something woman who becomes invisible one day and realizes that her family doesn't even know she's invisible, making her rethink what her family thinks of her.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Reading Nora Roberts The Witness and REALLY enjoying it. :-) I'm 3/4 into it so far. Don't want it too end, but I'll probably finish it tonight. (Started it yesterday.) IMHO the main character is Nora Roberts' most unique heroine yet. :-)

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 10:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Mame, does she follow the same formula with this (as in EVERY other book she has ever written?)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Not sure what you mean, Escapee... I find she has several 'formulas' for each TYPE of book, her softer ones, like the Wedding trilogy and her recent Boonsboro Trilogy are one type of formula, her thrillers like Chasing Fire, and The Search, are another, and certainly her futuristic mystery series under her pseudonym J.D. Robb is another type of formula. Sometimes I wonder if she writes all these different types of books herself since each type is so diverse, even though within that type they are similar. It's the similarities that I enjoy, since I like how she writes. Although I am not a fan of her J.D. Robb stuff.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Correction - meant to say Bride Quartet, not Wedding trilogy.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
Ok, I am reading "Fifty Shades of Grey" and I just want to ask, where was this book 30 yrs ago?

Lottaluv

10-16-2004

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 1:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lottaluv a private message Print Post    
I am reading Fifty Shades as well. I can't beleive all the controversy. While I haven't got to the bondage parts, IMO, it is no worse than the Harold Robbins books I read as a teenager.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
The ONLY Nora Roberts books I like are the J.D. Robb ones! Sure;u takes all kinds, doesn't it?

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
i was thinking harold robbins, judith krantz, jackie collins... same thing. i think they got the same press back then. i remember when Scruples came out and my mom only read it in my bathroom (not the one she shared with dad) and kept it hidden among the towels. i read it when she wasn't paying attention.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 4:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I only finished 2.5 of the bride books because I knew exactly what was going to happen and i got bored. Every book of hers I've ever read has started out with a somewhat mismatched love, feisty girl, a somewhat emotionally damaged man, sometimes a murder, then everyone is happy in the end.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Nobody got murdered in the Bride series. But I do agree it was somewhat boring as I found 'em particularly uneventful, so admittedly that wasn't one of my fave series. In her book that I'm reading now, The Witness, the guy couldn't be more 'normal' while the gal is a bit unusual due to various circumstances. She's a very unique and fascinating female protagonist. IMHO

Anyhow, to each his or her own... I certainly don't love all her books, but I do enjoy most of them. I particularly appreciate that she delves into various themes so depending on the book you could be reading a contemporary romance, or an edge of your seat suspense/thriller, or a historical or contemporary fantasy peppered with witches or what have you, etc. I've read most of Roberts books and they sure take up a lot of shelf space! She is one prolific writer. LOL

ETA, LOL TNT, I've tried a few times to read her J.D. Robb stuff and they just leave me cold. But I'm glad we both are fans of her books.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I liked Montana Sky, Carolina Moon, an Northern Lights.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
reading "Fifty Shades of Darkness"

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
I have found that it depends alot on the moods and circumstances as to book and author preferences...at least for me. Anyone else feel that way? Since Jim died I cannot read anything with torture, blood and gore. Cozy mysteries are my reads these days!

Big cozy news for library patrons who like audio books too. Cleo Coyle's Coffeehouse series is now available (up to book 5) This is a great series.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
You are right, Superg! I am a huge cozy fan as well! I have read all of the Coyle books and have recommended them to others as well!

I am not into violence whether in books or movies! I am avoiding "Hunger Games" because of the premise -

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Just finished "Through a Glass, Darkly" and the "Minstrel Boy"

Both drug on. Minstrel boy was better than Through a Glass, Darkly...which was REALLY not good.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Llandi, I remember when I read Valley of the Dolls. I was VERY surreptitious about it. LOL