TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 23, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 23, 2012 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Has anyone read the YA book "After the First Death" by Robert Cormier? I've re-connected w/an old HS pal, and she's challenging this book. The irony - she asked my opinion!! I let her know my bias ASAP and then went looking to see what I could find. Almost no one mentions it, only 2 schools in the past 12 years have had a challenge with it, and in both cases it was not removed.

I've checked it out of our library, but we're in the midst of senior papers, so it'll be a few weeks until I get a chance to read it. I'd love to hear what anyone here thought of it.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I am reading (on my Kindle) "Hide" by Lisa Gardner. I can't put it down!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Just finished Robert J. Sawyer's 3rd book WONDER in the WWW trilogy. Excellent ending to a terrific SF series.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My first download on Kindle was a Lisa Gardner book...I think it was The Chosen.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Roxip - I'll check that one out. I enjoy her books.

MAMEB - I'll have to check that series out!

Has anyone read Fifty Shades of Gray?? I'm hearing so much buzz about this book.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 2:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I just started it Reenie. I want to see what the fuss is about too. I guess it is first in a trilogy. I'll come and post my thoughts on it once I finish.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'll have a look at Sawyer's series as well. I enjoyed reading Fast Forward.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 6:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
"The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" Stieg Larsson

Reenie

06-24-2006

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Rieann...I look forward to your opinion!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the last Sisterhood book, though she seems to leave it open for another one down the road. Started out just pissed off by the plot and ended wanting to know more, especially about Carmen.. didn't she get together with Roberto??

The preordered fourth Blessings book arrived but I decided to read the whole series at once. Odd for me since I so recently finished the third one, but I really came to love the town and the people and want to wade through again and wallow a bit.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, April 15, 2012 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just started The Beginner's Goodbye by Anne Tyler.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 7:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Well, I read "Fifty Shades of Gray"...it certainly was different! The writer uses way too many words!! She could have said things w/o being so wordy. But I got sucked in and just started the second book in the series!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 9:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Thanks for posting Reenie. I started it...got really sucked in and then ordered the next two books right off the bat. Well, at about halfway in I started cringing at what I felt were cliches and the repetitiveness of the narrative. I set it aside and have had a hard time in trying to pick it up again. Your post gives me hope! I'll pick it back up and hopefully I'll get sucked in again. I bought all the books, I better read em!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Plowing through a bunch of memoirs. Just finished Diane Keaton's THEN AGAIN. One of the more interesting ones I've read in a while. Currently Reading John Lithgow's DRAMA. It's kind of boring, like Judi Dench's was... in the sense that it's about their professional lives 95% and 5% about their personal lives. More of a glorified resumé. I met the guy (Lithgow) backstage once. Pleasant and VERY tall. :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed Diane Keaton's book. It was a lovely love story to her mom. I have John's book but haven't read it yet.

I finished Anne Tyler's new one. I enjoyed it. Her books are comfortable, like a well-worn shoe, if that makes any sense.

I'm now reading Divergent by Veronica Roth. It's a dystopian YA that's gotten so many good reviews that I had to try it.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
ITA Mamie, Diane's book got me thinking quite a bit. Very provocative in that regard, especially since I've been going through quite a few 'dark nights of the soul' lately. (In a way Diane's book reminded me of Ashley Judd's book which is divided between her very personal struggles and professional accomplishments both in acting and for humanitarian causes. While Diane's is divided between reflecting on her mother's experiences and her own.) Anyhow, also loved that Diane included some transcriptions of actual letters from her famous swain... ;)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I got a couple of new bios in the mail today. Garry Marshall's and Carole King's. I look forward to both.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
OMG they BOTH sound terrific! I saw Carole on Piers' show the other night. Seems like a nice lady. Her album was the first one I completely obsessed on and drove my dad nutso playing it repeatedly almost nonstop one summer.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Tapestry! I watched her on Piers too. I think it will be an interesting read.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 4:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I don't remember who recommended Cleo Coyle, but, whoever you are, thank you and have you read any of the Bookshop mysteries this husband and wife author team wrote as Alice Kimberly?

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
No I haven't read any of "The Haunted Bookshop" So many books...so little time as they say!!! One of my favorites is Betty Hechtman's Crochet mysteries. She plays a bookstore event co-ordinator and the back story is great. I grab and read her books as fast as they come out.

Sarah Graves "Home Repair is Homicide" series is another good one...in fact I was in the library today reserving her brand new book.

I enjoyed Lorna Barrett's Booktown series and Maggie Sefton's Knitting series is based in Colorado and a great read on so many levels.

Don't know if you have heard of any of these...I need well written with a strong back story in my cozies!!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, SG! I have taken down all those names and will check what titles my city's library has to offer from those authors! Always happy to meet a new author!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
TNT, when you read the Blessings series, did you read three or four books? I just got the new fourth book and am now reading that, after re-visiting the first three. Already hoping she is planning to extend the series.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, April 23, 2012 - 5:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Well, at about halfway in I started cringing at what I felt were cliches and the repetitiveness of the narrative.

RIEANN - you said it better than I did! I "got into the story" but find myself skimming a lot. I'm on the third book now and just want to see what the ending is.

I guess the author is a genius because she got us to buy 3 books - when it probably could have fit into one book!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, April 23, 2012 - 6:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Sea, I have only read the first three Blessing books, I will keep checking at my library for the fourth one to arrive!