TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 03, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 03, 2012 users admin

Oliviamimi

05-30-2009

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 6:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Oliviamimi a private message Print Post    
Just finished Martins 5 book Song of Fire and Ice series. It was fantastic. Read the Hunger games yesterday. I'm sure the movie is good but didn't enjoy the book.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
This has nothing to do w/what I'm reading, but it has me so geeked up, I have to share.

I e-mailed M. Clifford about the use of "smirk" and I received a lovely reply today in my e-mail. He was gracious, funny, and frank. Tickled my little bibliophile heart.

Imagine my surprise (and glee) to find that he had posted on his blog about it today as well!!! It can be found here: http://anewimpressionism.blogspot.com/2012/03/54-smirks.html.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 8:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's quite delightful!

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Ahh, that is super cool Teach.....what a great thing to read.....

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 9:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
That was great, Teach! You're practically famous!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 10:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Love it!! I wonder if he's on Kindleboards? I don't have time to wander around in the authors' area but some of them are fairly active (more than I am) there.

A book I read recently not only overused words like that but used them instead of said.. as in "blablabla", he smirked. Not that he smirked but he smirked the sentence.. and this happened throughout the book and was quite annoying. But I think at least it was a free book.

I can see where extensive editing for length would create his dilemma but what a delightful way of addressing it in his blog.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 10:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
So cool Teach!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 4:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
That's awesome, Teach!!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 4:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Now you can smirk. ;-)

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Am in the middle of "The Royal Stuarts" by Allan Massie. I will be buying my own copy of this book, I learned more about the early Scottish Stewarts in the first 50 pages than I have in all my years of reading on medieval and renaissance European royalty.

Also picked up from the library "The Shocking Miss Pilgrim," the autobiography of Frederica Sagor Maas. She was a screenwriter in very early Hollywood, and lived to tell her story in recent years. She died on January 5 this year at the age of 111!!! Here is a link to her obituary with some details of her life.
New York Times obituary of Frederica Sagor Maas

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Anyone with political interest - either party or none - might enjoy "The American Caesars," which my book club just did. It covers from FDR through the Bushes and, being written by a Brit, seemed prretty even-handed to me. I am not at ALL political, and I enjoyed it!

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Teach.....that cracked me up so much! I loved that you noticed it and that he responded in that public way. But I will say that if someone is overusing a word, smirk just may be one that gives an attitude I would like! I have never read anything of his. I just may have to.

One of the great things about the internet is that it is so easy to write quick notes to authors. I have gotten replies from several and it is such fun. And smart on their part, since it makes me like them all the more and want to read everything they write!!!!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, March 30, 2012 - 11:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished a few books that were just okay for me, Another Piece of My Heart by Jane Green and The Gilly Salt Sisters by Tiffany Baker.

I'm now reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished Catching Fire, the second book in the Hunger Games series. Should be getting Mockingjay from my sister, later this week.

I also finished Lisey's Story by Stephen King last week. All were pretty good.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I am enjoying The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Daughters which was too long, and sad but still kind of interesting.

I'm starting on the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants series.. bought the first four books as a bundle.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I know I'm 20 years late (LOL!) but I just finished reading "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon and I'm hooked! Next is "Dragonfly in Amber" and then 5 others that are in the series.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Eg - don't be confused with Dragonfly. You'll be sure that it is NOT the next book when you start reading, but I guarantee it is! :-) The whole series is my favorite set of books - but Voyager (the third) is my all-time favorite. Once you've read it, I'll share why. :-)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, April 02, 2012 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I read the "Outlander" series of books quite a few years ago. I think I read the first 5 or so, then I think I got tired of them or something. How many are there, anyway?

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Monday, April 02, 2012 - 1:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I love the Outlander series! I also loved all the Lord John books (which is a different series, but connected to the Outlander stories).

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, April 02, 2012 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Egbok, it is my favorite series of all time, hands down.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Monday, April 02, 2012 - 10:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Teach, thanks for the warning on Dragonfly but I had already got caught up in a bit of confusion as I started reading it this morning. I was scratching my head and saying "huh??". I even went back to google the order of the books to make sure I was indeed reading the next book after "Outlander"...LOL! At any rate, what a way to start out the 2nd book of this series!!
I'll certainly let you know when I finish Voyager!!

Heckagirl, there are 7 books in the series that I can see.
1. Outlander
2. Dragonfly in Amber
3. Voyager
4. Drums of Autumn
5. The Fiery Cross
6. A Breath of Snow and Ashes
7. An Echo in the Bone

Merrysea, I saw the Lord John series and I'll probably dig in after the Outlander series.

Escapee, my favorite read of all time is "The Thorn Birds" by Colleen McCullough but I'm pretty sure "Outlander" will be my favorite book from now on.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 9:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
I am reading "11/22/63" by Stephen King interesting so far

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 9:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Egbok,
I have the Lord John Series, but I could not get past the first few chapters of the first book. Let me know once you read it if you like them.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 11:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
IMHO, the Lord John books get better with each one. I struggled w/the first one - just keeping track of the mystery. The second one I enjoyed more, and the last one (Scottish Prisoner), I LOVED because Jamie is in it almost all the way through!

I'm reading The Sweet Potato Queens: Fat is the New 30 and enjoying it. Next up is Slaughterhouse Five. I've never read it, and I think it's about time this English teacher did! :-)