TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 28, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: How are you reading it (reading on various devices)?: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 28, 2012 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Heckagirl, the bookmark should bring you back to your page. My KoboVox works the same way as Merrysea's Kindle.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I'm on my laptop computer, not an actual reader device. I use Firefox, and my OS in Vista. So far, I haven't left the website. I'm on my webtv to type this.The website is readnybook.com.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Oops. readanybook.com

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Oh, crap! I just went to my bookmark and it starts at the beginning. I'm not in the mood to try to get back to where I was tonight. Besides, I have another book I'm reading. An actual book--Stephen King's "Lisey's Story".

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 7:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I tried loaning two books to friends yesterday...haven't heard whether they received them or not, but it was easy from my amazon page - I just emailed them the books.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 8:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Does anyone have the stephanie plum To the Nines they could lend me?

Are any books lendable?

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My friend received the email with my copy of The Hunger Games, so that worked. She has a kindle and she said she was able to download it to her kindle.

I don't have the Stephanie Plum book or else I would lend it to you.

By the by, if you have loaned a book to someone you are unable to access it or loan it elsewhere while they have it.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished reading "The Help" last night on that website. It did go all the way back to the beginning each time I navigated away from the site and came back. I had to "fast forward" via the "next page" button each time. It was good. Now looking forward to seeing the movie sometime soon.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
You can only loan a book one time, last I heard.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
The Help was an amazing movie.

I currently have two books out on loan as far as I know.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I don't think there is a limit on the number of books you can borrow or loan (as long as the publisher allows loaning), just cannot loan the same title over and over to various people.

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 2:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
I'm finally considering an e-reader. My daughter has the Kindle and loves it. Hubby wants me to go for it and get the Kindle Fire.
Any recommendations? TIA!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 2:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
GO FOR IT! I have had mine for about 6 weeks and haven't put it down yet. I love reading and playing games...in color...it is awesome.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I love my Kindle 3! But then, I'm not an apps fanatic. I'm on my computer a lot during the day, so when I read, I just wanna' read. :-) I doubt you'll be disappointed either way!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Bluejax.. where would you be reading the most? The Fire isn't so great for reading outside in bright light.. the kindle your daughter has is better for that.

But the fire is a great deal of fun to use as a reader, for games and apps.. I'm loving calengoo that syncs with google calendr and there are movies and of course color pictures and more..

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
I knew you all would come through. (After all, this is the best place ever!)
Sea, right now, most of my reading is done indoors, and my daughter said what you did about the Kindle-great for outside. She's in college and says it has really come in handing for her required reading (Lit major).
Teach, I'm not on the computer much. When I am, I have to prop up the monitor with a pillow because the hinges or whatever broke and the monitor won't stay up...pitiful...lol That's why hubby thinks the Fire would be better for me.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We actually got my DH the Fire because he doesn't have a laptop like my DS and I do. We figured it would allow him to sit on the couch and web surf, too. :-) He LOVES his! (And it took me all of one day to get so addicted to Angry Birds that I ordered him never to leave that thing lying around during the school week!)

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
I'm leaning more toward the Fire. Hubby is pushing it, Teach loves it, and finally my family will know what to get me for my birthday.
I'm a Stephen King fan(atic) and saw a couple of Kindle only things from him. Another reason to get one.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I love my Fire, but I love my regular kindle (3?) too. The regular one is great for going to Kota's softball games, while the girls are warming up, practicing, or between games since it's easier to read in sunlight. I do read on my Fire at home, but also use it in the kitchen to look up recipes or calories, take it to bed to watch netflix (easier than taking the laptop,) but what I especially love is sometimes when I'm reading, I'll come across something I don't know anything or much about and can flip over to the internet to look it up without having to go to my computer. All in my hands.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 3:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Does anyone here use a Blackberry Playbook? I beleive the reader uses KOBO for its reader. Any reviews? I'm trying to decide and Airmiles has a great deal on this right now. (so it would be free, yippee)

06-29-2002

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 6:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Moderator a private message Print Post    
While of course there are sites that provide free materials (books, music, video, etc.) and while there are actual free apps, music, books (and many books are eminent domain now and thus are free), we have to pull postings of sites that provide, for free, books which are copyrighted in the US. That would include links to such sites or discussion of specific sites.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 10:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Jasper, I've never heard of or seen a Blackberry Playbook.. not surprising since there are so many different devices out there.

One good thing if you are comparing it to another reader is to make a list of ten or twenty books you most want to read soon and compare prices between the primary sellers for each reader.. so for KOBO it would be the Borders of Canada.. Mame has mentioned it.. for Nook it would be B&N.com for Kindle, Amazon.com, etc. And then see who gives you the best prices.. that is one way. And if possible compare them hands on.

Of course if you just want to consider that one device, then look for reviews.. if you can find a board specific to Blackberry devices, great.. Kindleboards dows have an area for other devices and many KB members are device junkies and reader junkies so they often can give you really specific info. Or point to an article.

It certainly seems like the KOBO library is good, esp for you in Canada, though there are many kindle owners up there as well.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 5:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Jasper & Sea, it's called Chapters/Indigo. :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The Kobo pricing for ebooks is very good. That is one of their best selling points. Plus they don't use a proprietary format.

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
Thanks to the input you all gave me, there is now a Kindle Fire somewhere in my house. I'm sure I could find it, but I never get my present on my actual birthday, and I'm doing my best to hold out 'til then. Wish me luck...lol