TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 26, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 26, 2012 users admin

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I think thats one of the books as decorative in the bookshelves of one of my model homes. Ill read it too.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
"The White House" was a big, fat, bust. It was supposed to be about the house itself, and it's not. There are some photos of the Truman renovation, and then pictures of past and present residents of the White House. Screw that.

I'm on Pope Gregory XVI (early 1800s) I fear I am never going to be finished sleeping with the Popes.

The library has on hold my copy of "The Royal Stewarts: a History of the Family that Shaped Britain." Wanted to turn in the White House, The Crown Jewels, and Absolute Monarchy when I went down to get it, but I am bound and determined to finish that stupid book with people named Boniface and Innocent and Pius. So I'll drop off the other two, pick up The Stewarts and have it handy for a treat when they finally kill off John Paul II (\looking forward to it).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished We Have to Talk About Kevin which was well done though awfully depressing.

Starting Daughters: A Historical Family Saga.. starting out in Palestine in the late 1800's. I got it free and it isn't expensive now.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Just finished Shanghai Girls. Loved it but wasn't
Crazy about the end. Is there a part 2?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 3:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Lakecat, the second book is called Dreams of Joy. It recently came out. I hated the way Shanghai Girls ended and was happy to know there was a sequel.

I'm reading A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 6:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mamie!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 6:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I picked up "Something Like Love" and "Topaz" yesterday. The cover of the first one makes it look like a "bpdice-ripper," but the blurb on the back makes me hopeful of better content inside.

The "Topaz" cover is more restrained, and the blurb sounds very interesting.

They are numbers three and four in my reading stack.

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
I just read all 3 Hunger Games books and LOVED them. Quick reads. That said I hated the how the ended the last book :-( Not enough resolution to me.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 3:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I recently read "The Birth House" by Ami McKay. I really enjoyed it. Now I'm reading a re-release of Harlan Coben "Play Dead". No Myron but it is good.

In a couple of weeks we are having an author visit at our library - Joy Fielding, which I am happy about, I think I have read all her books and enjoyed most of them.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Do you ever read a book and quotes just jump out at you and grab you?

He looked up at her and thought, She could’ve done a lot better than marrying me. He loved her because she believed she had done better by marrying him.

Too good not to share.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I now use a blank fold piece of paper as a bookmark so when there is a passage that hits me, I write it down on the paper and then later enter it into a notebook that I keep quotes in.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, March 23, 2012 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just finished The Hunger Games last night. Still reading Lisey's Story by Stephen King. More than halfway through it. I have Catching Fire waiting on me, too. And MockingJay when my sister finishes it. Don't know when I'll see Hunger Games movie, though. I rarely go to see movies at the theater.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 7:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
My book club meets tonight - here, of course, as they LOVE my building's party room - and our book is "American Caesars - Lives of the US Presidents from FDR through George W. Bush." Strangely enough, it is written by a British biographer, but maybe that gives him the necessary "distance" to see clearly and fairly. I am doing Eisenhower - the first President I was old enough to know much about.

It says much that I actually BOUGHT this book! I reularly buy books as gifts to my god-grands, but never for myself except at the library's super-cheapo book sales.}

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I remember we had to learn to spell "Eisenhower" in elementary school ..

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished the Muse of Eduoard Manet. Loved the beginning, loved the end, but the love story in the middle was just "eh." (Not a big romantic story type gal).

The one thing that about sent me over the edge, though, was the use of the word "Smirk" - it is used 54 times in a 400 page book. That is at least once every 10 pages, and in many cases it was used within 3 or 4 pages. By about 40% of the way through it was bugging me a bit, but by 70% I could have screamed. I did a Kindle search and "smirk" or "smirked" was at 54, but it felt like 200! I'm going now to M. Clifford's web site to see if there is a reason he used that word so much!

Next book is going to be much lighter. Picked up the Sweet Potato Queen's Fat is the new 30 for $4, so it will help me get through the last 5 days of school before spring break. :-)

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Teach, my sister called me last night laughing her head off over that book. It sounds very funny.

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
I am reading Cleo Coyle's Coffeehouse Mysteries. Very light and entertaining but I had no idea there were so many different coffee beans, flavors and ways to roast and brew!! They talk about "fruity" flavor and I am feeling like I am reading about wines LOL!!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thank you, Superg! I am always looking for new cozy mystery writers, and this one is new to me!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Just check my library's online catalogue, and we have lots of the Coyle books. One of the things that I most enjoy about cozy mysteries is the "back story." Does this series have enough of back story to make it worth while to order and read thems sequentially?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Beach, I was reading it today before we saw the Hunger Games and snorting frequently! I LOVE the Sweet Potato Queens, so getting one of their books on sale is always a treat! :-)

Wargod

07-16-2001

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I finished the Hunger Games (books) last night, going to read it again though. I keep seeing everyone loves it and I'm just not sure about it. There was something that bugged me terribly abou it, but I haven't figured out what the heck it was yet.

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 10:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
TNT..Cleo Coyle's books have a back story but you can read them out of sequence. I am like you tho...I like to read cozys in order. I'm sure you will like this series...they are quite popular. Joanna Carl's Chocoholic series is another great series, same thing, you learn more about chocolate than you ever thought there was to know!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 6:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
TY, Superg! I think I will go the sequential route!

Also I appreciate the name of another cozy author - always a treat to find a new series to love!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 6:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Tntitanfan, I love Nancy Martin's Blackbird Sisters mysteries. They are fun.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, March 26, 2012 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thank you , Mamie! Always a pleasure to add a new name to my author list!

I can't remember which of the Sweet Potato Queen books I read - the first one? But I laughed my head off!