TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 20, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 20, 2012 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Still Missing, which was quite well done, especially for a first novel. Her second book is on my wish list, but I'm not paying that price.

Starting We Have to Talk About Kevin, by Lionel Shriver, which I snagged for a quarter the other day.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 8:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Reenie, I read the Kitchen House and didn't care much for it. It may be that I read it too soon after the Help because it felt like it was trying to use different narrators as a gimmick rather than a true boost to the plot. (Shoot - Poisonwood Bible still sets the standard for me in that area.)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 6:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Really enjoying The Garner Files by James Garner. :-)

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 9:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
TEACH - thanks so much for your opinion!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sea, her second book is not as good as Still Missing. And didn't the ending just throw you?!

I read The Kitchen House a long time after The Help so there was no comparison for me in that way.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Just finished are YouThere Vodka by chelse handler
It was ok. About what I expected. Now on to Snaghai
Girls. Did someone here say this is going to be
Made into a movie.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Reenie, I think the other thing that bugged me (and this is totally personal preference, not a reflection on the writer) was that the vast majority of the story was told from the younger, white girl. The older slave voice would be heard for 2 pages, then the white girl would talk for 10 or 15. I'm sure it was because the plot followed the white girl's story growing up (geesh - I can't even remember the names now!), but especially at the beginning I wanted more balance between the narrative voices.

Sooo -- that is totally personal preference and I know a ton of people loved the book! Over 90% of the reviews on Amazon are 3 stars or better, so it would probably work well for a book club.

(And can you tell I feel guilty for not liking a book that so many others liked? It's as if I'm dissing books which goes against my English teacher brain! LOL)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Oh well, I'm one of the few women I know in my social circle who didn't love the Twilight series. Bella absolutely drove me crazy! However, thanks to all who recommended The Hunger Games - I have swooped my way through all three books and am now waiting for the movie!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
TEACH - don't feel guilty!!! LOL!

There's a book called "Little Bee" which has gotten rave reviews. I loved the first half and hated the second half. Hated!!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Reenie, I felt the same way about Little Bee! Another book I hated that everyone raved about was Life of Pi.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Mamie - how ridiculous was the ending of Little Bee?

I couldn't finish Life of Pi~!

We must have the same tastes...

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 6:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I think we do :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 7:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mamie, thanks for the feedback on the second book.. I won't buy unless it goes on sale (the first was on sale).. the end.. well something like that was predictable, not the exact details, though.

I thought Life of Pi was okay but not raveworthy for sure.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, March 16, 2012 - 11:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I HATED Life of Pi. Couldn't make heads or tails of it, and thought it was utter shite. Not my thing in the least but made myself get through it cuz I was so sure that it was going to get better AND make sense (to me) at some point. Wrong. Worst book EVER. Plus it made me feel utterly stupid, cuz so many were raving about it. FEH!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, March 16, 2012 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I also think that some people jump on the bandwagon of the praise for a book just so they look intellectual. Not saying that some people actually enjoy the book, I just think some people want to look smarter. IMO

Finished Tempest and enjoyed it. YA books are so different from when I was young.

Now reading The Girl Next Door by Brad Parks. I received an advance copy and I think it came out this week. I am so behind in reviewing advance copies! This one is about a reporter who decides to do a piece on a delivery person who was killed by a hit and run driver. He thinks it's just going to be something nice about a co-worker but starts to unravel something else.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 2:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I am reading 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz. Its a very good read if you like this genre and I love horror/supernatural stories.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11166890-77-shadow-street

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 9:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finally finished Open and now need advice: should I read Swimming in the Daylight, The Muse of Edouard Manet, Shutter Island or The Lords of Discipline? I want a fairly fast read that's fun since I'm in a tri with 30 research papers from the lowest end senior class we offer (lots of bad writing is gonna' occur in the next 10 weeks!LOL!). I also have a set of Harry Bosch novels, but I just finished listening to one, so I'm thinking a break is in order.}

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The only one I have read is Swimming in the Daylight (which is free now and which Amazon is not telling me I already own) and I found it quite interesting.

Not sure I'd call it fun.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I read the first couple paragraphs of a few, and I'm now 10% into The Muse of Eduoard Manet. Time travel, mystery, historical fiction - caught my interest right away. I loved M. Clifford's book The Book and this one appears to be heading toward the same type of review. :-) (It also appears to be seriously derailing my plans for lots of school planning today, because I'm having a heckuva time setting it aside!)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
DH gave me a couple of early b'day gifts: A 75.00 gift cert for some dead-tree books at Chapters/Indigo (like Borders). Yay! And a pretty book-style purple cover for my kobo vox. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Nice!! (Hopefully it won't be too much like Borders.. around here they are gone :-( )

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Unlikely since they pretty much have a monopoly on most of the bookstore chains in Canada. They drove most of the established bookstores out of business when they first came on the scene.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 4:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That's what Borders, B&N did here but not Borders is gone. I guess B&N is still around.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 7:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html...
100 Kindle books under $3.99

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I just started Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler. The characters are interesting and I think it will be an enjoyable read.