TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 07, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 07, 2012 users admin

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 7:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Got The Shanghigh Girls many reccommended. I read at work since I sale new homes,Ill start next week. Must start going to the library,by the time I buy a new book and spend gas money getting to my job,it really eats into my money.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 7:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I could not live w/o my local library! Since I read several books a week and listen to a couple more on CD, I could never afford to buy all of them!

When we have a booksale at the library, I buy up a bunch of paperbacks when they are four for a dollar for when I travel. that way when I finish one, I can leave it for the next person at the motel or airport or wherever!

I came home yesterday with an OLD book of Betty MacDonald's that I had somehows missed over the DECADES! She is the author of "The Egg and I" that gave Ma and Pa Kettle to the film world. She also wrote a charming series for children. This was "Onions in the Stew," an account of her first years on Vashon Island in Puget Sound near Seattle. It is set during and right after WWII.

I stretched out on the couch at 1:30 and finished it a little before 6!
She is a funny, funny lady!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Sounds good! Not on Kindle but I clicked the request link. My parents had The Egg and I back in the 50s.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Sea - I thought of you because I think I remember that you have friends on one of the sound islands - Whidby?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Orcas.. well I did know someone who lived on Whidby but never met them. I did meet the people who lived on Orcas and visited once for a few days. We also went over to San Juan Island one day. I loved Orcas! And Friday Harbor on San Juan was great, too.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, March 05, 2012 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I'm reading a biography of Andy Warhol. Two words: Weird. O. When even Truman Capote thinks you're weird . . .

I've been slowly chewing my way through a history of the Papacy as well. It's surprising how little is known of the dark age Popes. There's even a long-standing legend of a female Pope that can't be confirmed or denied. It's interesting in short spurts. When Andy gets too weird for me I let one of the Popes weird me out.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 05, 2012 - 5:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Double Weird.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, March 05, 2012 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Moi?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 05, 2012 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Them.. all of them.. I always think what a childhood Anderson Cooper had.. Truman Capote, Andy Warhol, Studio 54, meeting Michael Jackson but not knowing who he was but thinking "that guy can DANCE", etc..

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 9:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I finished reading "The Hunger Games". I thought it was surprisingly good, though I think she faded a tiny bit at the end. Also, I see how other people have mentioned that the series seems to end abruptly. That was the feeling I had from this book. I was totally caught off guard by the abrupt ending. Of course, that is partly due to my reading it as an eBook and not having a physical sensation of how many pages are left (another beef I have about eBooks) but it did seem to just stop. Plus I guess with it being the first part of a trilogy, she wasn't particularly concerned with how well things were wrapped up. But it was amazingly good overall.

Since it was written in the first person, it will be interesting to see how good the movie is and how well it captures Katniss' thoughts.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I am reading Crossroads Cafe. I really like the way Deborah Smith writes. I read her "A Gentle Rain" and thought it's one of the better books I've read. I look forward to more by her.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I read that one, Escapee. I like books where I can get into characters and also a community or locale. I enjoyed that one.

I finished the second Blessings book, Second Helpings by Beverly Jenkins and downloaded (and bought) the third book, Something Old, Something New and cannot help starting to read, even though I know I will feel bereft if I cannot keep reading about this community and these people.. but I have pre-ordered the fourth in the series, due out in April.. and when that is read, then I really WILL suffer a loss!

She has written tons of books, but more historical / romance and contemporary stuff, but I want more on this series.

The plots aren't mind-boggling, but the bad people seem to be properly punished, the gentle goodness/tough love wins out and big hearts dominate..

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I have requester all three "blessing" books and "Crossroads Cafe" at the library. They don't have "Gentl Rain."

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I think I have a copy of Second Blessings here. I am pretty sure I won it a while back.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I bought gentle rain for my kindle for 3.99 a while back. It was great.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 9:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mamie, you want to read the first one first.. well you don't HAVE to but it is best. TNT, hope you like them..

Escapee, you got a good deal.. it is back up for now.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 8:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I'm having the same difficulty with ebooks - not being able to judge how close I am to the end (and it is also harder to "flip" to the end and read the ending and then go back...I have to remember where I stopped...LOL!). I do keep track by the yellow bar that shows how much of the book I have read but it still is a little disconcerting.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
On the Fire there is no bar (there is on the other kindles but you can touch and see % done. Not the same but I'm used to that. I do like that my bookmarks never fall out

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I wish they would come up with some sort of standardized page numbering system that would be consistent regardless of font size and reader. I don't know how they can be used for academic purposes without being able to reference specific page numbers?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
They might if they forced a standard font size.. otherwise the calculation does get more complex.

The same book in paperback and hardback hardback may vary in number of pages.

But chapter numbers or names or % should be enough. Students with e readers can always search for a phrase.

The tradoff in not having children develop chronic back problems (even a backpack on wheels is likely to need lifting at some point and some kids seem to scoff at the wheels (some schools even tried to ban them, saying there wasn't room for them).

I've been reading without the visual of pages left to read for several years and I'm coping with it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
What I'm thinking though is when I used to write papers at University (LOL - admittedly some time ago), you had to footnote your sources including the page number. You can't footnote 23%.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished another chick lit book titled With a Little Luck by Caprice Crane. I find her writing very witty but the main character was getting on my nerves so it took away from the writing.

I've started The Garner Files by James Garner. I just love him.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 1:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Mamie, The Garner Files is in my bedside pile of books to read. And a friend is enjoying the audio version. She was happy to look at mine, to see the photographs.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I just figured that academic style guides would have to grow to include electronic books and articles, just as they grew to allow citations for books, then magazines, then audio interviews or video material and it seems to be true.

From over a year ago and he even makes the point I did that differet editions of dead tree books have different numbers of pages so you have to cite the format as well.. for instance what if you needed to read large print books? More pages..

http://tinyurl.com/23rgqkl

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Many Kindle books also have pages, so they can still be easily cited. Web sites are often cited using paragraph or section. The purpose of a citation is to be able to locate the source easily; any of the above would work for Kindles. :-)