TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 04, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 04, 2012 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 6:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
After reading two very serious books, I'm going to enjoy Sophie Kinsella's new book, I've Got Your Number.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 9:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
A Secret Wish by Barbara Freethy

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 10:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
ETA: Reading that on my KOBO Vox. And listening to Ellen Degeneres on my cellphone. Haven't begun a dead tree book yet.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 7:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Are The Hunger Games worth adult reading? I loved Harry Potter (Twilight Series not nearly as much).

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 8:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
I just started the third Hunger Games book. The Mockingjay, and yes they are worth adult reading. They seem to be written on two levels, teens will read one it way and adults read another.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 8:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
My DD's school librarian enthusiastically recommended this series to us and said that she personally enjoyed reading it. I'm about 2/3 through the first book and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

(FWIW, I've read all of the Harry Potter and Twilight books as well.)

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
Tritan we need to start us a cozy mystery thread! I am in the middle of Joanna Carl's Chocoholic mystery series....learning more about chocolate than I thought possible and gaining weight at the same time

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 9:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I will give it a try. I think the first game is available free on Kindle.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Roxip, I was surprised by how much I loved The Hunger Games. The first book is the best one, in my opinion.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I also ate up The Hunger Games!! Even got to borrow the third one from Teach!!

I haven't gone back to "Cheever" yet, and have read part of the book about Kindle Fire which has lots of good info, but I wanted to READ so I had this book I bought for FREE when it was free for a day recently (it is now $9.99 and worth that price, IMO. I'm going to buy the next in that series.

Book os Bring on the Blessings by Beverly Jenkins and I love it and can imagine a sweet movie and want to sort of Nudge Oprah or someone with money to READ this book!

Oooh.. there are four in the series so far. Just bought the second one, but still have half of this to go and want to wallow in it.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 5:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Supergranny, thanks! Always happy to get the name of a new cozy writer!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Could someone (Teach/Sea?) give me a synopsis of Hunger Games? I am under the impression it might be like Girl With the Dragon Tatoo (dark, gritty and violent)which I avoided, because that is so NOT my genre. But I know NOTHING about Hunger Games except I keep hearing how wonderful it is. Okay, so now I'm curious.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Not nearly as graphic. It has violence but it is a young adult book, so it's much tamer than Girl with the Dragon Tatoo (which I adored as well).

Basically there are territories; each territory has a lottery that picks one boy and one girl to go fight in the games. The last one alive wins. These games are watched via live feeds.

It's kind of like 1984 meets the Colosseum. The first book focuses on the two chosen from the poorest territory and details their fight in the games. Yes, young people are killed off regularly, but it's definitely appropriate for teens and not gory gross.

I say try one! Just don't start them if you have to go to work the next day. I read all 3 in 3 days over Christmas break a year ago - not one other thing got done in the house until I finished them all! :-)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Okay - you've convinced me to give them a whirl, thanks Teach!

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 12:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
it sounds so much like that Stephen King short story that they made into a movie where Richard Dawson was the host of it. dang, can't remember the name though.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 3:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Saw your post earlier Landi and it was a tip of the tongue thing. Let it simmer in the back of my brain for a couple hours and finally got it....The Running Man!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 6:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'd say it's more like Survivor except they kill each other. It sounds like an awful concept (and it is) but the book is much better than I expected (in every way). The world building is excellent and a non-intrusive part of the story, the visuals are great and the characters are interesting and I cared about what happened to them. It's written in the first person so the story is her thoughts and experience. It will be interesting to see how they translate that into a movie.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
The synopsis reminded me of Running Man (wasn't that an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie?) too. I had forgotten it was a Stephen King short story.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 9:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Although I enjoyed The Running Man (the movie - I haven't read the story) it was very cheesy and over the top with supposed criminals being hunted down by ridiculous over equipped gladiator types (more like pro wrestling but with killing). The Hunger Games isn't cheesy at all.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I was happy because I ran to Half Priced Books this afternoon and they had The Dry Grass of August and I know how much you all loved it.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
I loved the first Hunger Games book, liked the second one pretty well, but by the 3rd one was wondering if it was by the same author. Had to read it and was glad some things were wrapped up, but I felt like it lost something along the way. The things that made the first one so wonderful for me, seemed to be progressively lacking. Did anyone else feel that way? I don't know how to explain it exactly. It wasn't that I didn't think that the characters should change with what they went through, they had to, but the tone of that change didn't feel right to me.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I felt exactly the same way, Yes. It was all happening so fast at the end. There was a death that came and went like nothing happened and it was (what I thought anyway) a rather big one. It felt like she was just trying to wrap it all up too quickly. The books did start as a NaNoWriMo project. Maybe she knew where she wanted to go with them but just missed a step or two.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Bring on the Blessings and immediately started the next in the series, A Second Helping: A Blessings Novel.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 12:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
okay, i caved. i'm reading the hunger games as it was in the kindle lending library.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 2:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
If you want to borrow the second one, I have it available to borrow..